www.DRRiders.com

A Dedicated Suzuki DR650 forum for DR650 riders to share their knowledge, experience and adventures!
It is currently Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:35 am

DRRIDERS.COM Search - powered by Google

DRRIDERS Member Location Map

Place yourself on the map here!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Some BST Carb questions
PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:24 am 

Took the BST Carb off of my 1992 last night to take it apart and clean it.

I also purchased a carb off of ebay for a 1993. The one I purchased is in a LOT better shape.
The slide, slide guide, etc. are a lot cleaner and make that carb seem to have a lot less miles than the one on the bike.

I have a couple of specific questions I am having a hard time finding answers to:

- in some parts references there is a question for "R/S" or "N/P" - how would I know which carb I have or are they the same regardless ?
(I am worried I may have messed up the needle valve trying to remove it and was looking what a new one would cost and got challenged with whether it was an "R/S" or "N/P" bike.

- in the parts diagram at this link what does the hose (item 38) connect to? I have a port for that on the purchased (93) carb but it has been filled with solder on the carb that is on the bike.

http://www.mrcycles.com/fiche_section_d ... &fveh=1915

I did look at the BST Bible which was very helpful and I searched this site and a couple of others and couldn't figure it out.

I AM planning on putting the 93 carb on for now because I think the old one needs a rebuild, not just a cleaning. In fact, I may just keep it for parts if the 93 works. Long term I may upgrade carbs to one of the better options.

Thanks
J

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:54 am 
Member Servant
Member Servant

Item 38 is the vacuum tube that connects to the vacuum operated petcock on your tank....... unless you don't have the vac petcock anymore in which case #38 is the tube up cap off.

As far as machine Model codes N, P, R, S (92, 93, 94, 95) goes ... has no bearing on the BST itself as the BST's are identical for the early models jetting wise. The BST's are also identical in the 96-current machines but the jetting is changed from the earlier models.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:09 am 

Thanks very much for the answers!

It does have a vaccuum petcock currently and there was a different line connected from the carb when I took it apart. I purchased a manual petcock and am installing it so I will just put a short hose with a plug in it on that vaccuum port off the top.

I also bought a new battery. I am optimistic I can get this thing running this weekend.

(I will have to look at my current carb and figure out what WAS connected to the vac. petcock. ...hmmm)

Thanks again!

Jay

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:05 pm 
Member Servant
Member Servant

jdfog2 wrote:
MXRob

Thanks very much for the answers!

It does have a vaccuum petcock currently and there was a different line connected from the carb when I took it apart. I purchased a manual petcock and am installing it so I will just put a short hose with a plug in it on that vaccuum port off the top.

I also bought a new battery. I am optimistic I can get this thing running this weekend.

(I will have to look at my current carb and figure out what WAS connected to the vac. petcock. ...hmmm)

Thanks again!

Jay

There are 5 hose connectors on the BST. The largest one (#1) on the right side of the carb is for the vacuum diaphragm vent filter. The other one (#2) on the right side is the float bowl vent line... if this was the one attached to your vacuum petcock it would be bad in two ways.... besides the vacuum petcock not working, you would also not have a vented float bowl except the small amount of venting you'd get from your float bowl over-flow line(#3) which would be not enough venting. The float bowl vent line should travel back to the top of the air box where it just lays there next to the air box snorkel and the diaphragm filter line goes back to just in-front of the air box with the small filter attached to it. #4 would be the fitting on the carb's vacuum cap which connects to your vacuum petcock and lastly #5 which is the fuel inlet. :good:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:25 pm 

MxRob (and anyone else that is reading)...

So the saga continues.

Here's the story.

Bought this 92 off a friend for "not much"...

He said it ran fine until he decided to put a new choke cable on it. (Had a manual knob prior to that).

So he put the cable on and couldn't get it started. In the meantime of his son's friends stops by and has joined the Army and has a nice KX250 he wants to sell "cheap" so my friend buys it then lets the DR sit in a garage for two years. His son and nephew tried to start it a few times with no luck. They pulled in behind a pickup and tried a 3rd gear bump start and it fired but wouldn't stay running.

So I bought it, put a clean / rebuilt carb on it and still can't get it started.
Tonight my Brother in Law and I checked and it does fire (we pulled a plug and grounded it and it sparks)...

We checked the carb - it had gas flowing to the bowl at least. Took the air cleaner out - squirted starting fluid in - no change.

So we pulled the plug again - squirted some starting fluid in - put the plug in real quick, tried again - and it didn't start BUT we did then get an exhaust smell which we didn't get before.

So, I wonder if the intake valves are not opening... but that's probably jumping several steps ahead of myself.

Any ideas of things to try? I am planning to get a manual choke knob so I KNOW for sure what position the choke is in.

Any help appreciated.
Thanks
Jay

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:31 pm 

By the way - the "cover" part of this part (see link below, the end cover of part 6) of the cam chain tensioner assembly is missing a screw and is loose.
Does it just cover that tensioner or does it actually captivate it and keep in pressed in? (It appears to just be a cover but I could be wrong!)

http://www.bikebandit.com/1992-suzuki-d ... #sch238825

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:43 pm 

One more question - does a manual choke knob from 96 on work on a 92? I assume it would since a BST 40 is a BST 40 - but I don't want to spend money based on an assumption.

thanks

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:10 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

You can turn your cable choke into a knob type. There is a youtube of some guy doing it. Did it to mine, found an old knob from another bike to screw on looks stock

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:36 pm 
MSF Student
MSF Student

Did you ever figure out the problem? I'm having a similar I'd and really need help

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:28 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Check the date on his last post...that was over 3 ½ years ago...

2010 Black DR650 - Raptor Petcock...MSR skid plate...Stock chain-roller removed/"Seat Concepts" seat kit/Lower ball-bearing roller/AMP case armor/Pro-Moto rack/Twin Air filter/520 conversion/TM40 pumper carb/8.3 Rear spring/ProCycle Case saver/WARP 9 bar-risers/IMS 4.9 gal Tank/Homemade Chainguard topic15058.html NSU Fix topic14597.html NSU Fix re-visited topic14828.html
DR_Rider blog: https://dr650rider.blogspot.ca/