www.DRRiders.com

A Dedicated Suzuki DR650 forum for DR650 riders to share their knowledge, experience and adventures!
It is currently Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:59 am

DRRIDERS.COM Search - powered by Google

DRRIDERS Member Location Map

Place yourself on the map here!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 6:40 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Hey, mine's only modification is the lack of the backfire protection mesh screen at the airbox.
Completely std with the dyno runs to prove it :biggrin:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 11:58 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Thanks, Bob and Mi_ka. It makes sense that putting more power through a clutch than what it was intended to deal with could lead to greatly shortened lifespan. What got me was that X spring length with X disc thickness was fine for some, but still slipping for others, and that the clutch didn`t seem to care what Suzuki says about the matter. I guess that also depends partly on how much power is flowing through it, as well as riding style, day of the week, etc.

Anyway, I see I can get OEM springs for less than 4 USD each- might as well order a set and swap them in, in hopes that Mi_ka is right about good springs prolonging the life of the other components. At least that was my take from his last response!. Will measure everything while I`m at it just for reference.

To get to the springs and discs, it looks like I don`t need to worry about the 27mm torque wrench? Just remove cover and pop them off? Hopefully my gasket will not put up a fight since I just replaced it about six months ago when I did my NSU screws. Thanks for the help!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:02 pm 

After reading this thread I'm starting to realize this may be my issue...

Recently the bike doesn't wanna pull hard going any faster than 100kmh just getting up to 120 is a chore. I've got a jet kit, aftermarket exhaust and airbox mod as well, and put 3000km on her since I got her two months ago (she's a 07)

I did the nsu just over a week ago and didn't pay any mind to the clutch because it was working fine, now I suppose I have to open her up again and take a look... I'm leaving to cross Canada in a little over a week and although I don't have much money, I may end up buying a clutch kit anyways, to be sure I'll make it the 8000km or so.

Reres always something isn't there fellas?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:38 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

If it is just the springs, it is an easy fix and you do not need a new clutch kit - just make sure the plates are ok. Only extra part needed may be the side cover gasket if it does not survive the opening up.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:49 pm 

Okay so I went inside and took a look. First thing I noticed is the baked on oil, now that I recall this was there when I did my NSU but never red a thing about a clutch in my life so I figured it was normal.

http://imgur.com/a/cVuQG

Next I noticed the first friction plates to come out were in much better shape than the ones closer to the bike but were really worn... I don't have calipers but on tape looked like 2mm... the one closest to the bike were eaten away and been through hell

The other plates have been scorched up a bit it seems, and I put one on the garage floor to see if it was warped, pressed on one side and the other popped up... so, I mean, not the best test but seems like they've been put through a bitta abuse and aren't perfectly straight.

All the springs came in at 34mm, and look as though oil has been baked on them.

If I have to, is there an issue with combining EBC friction plates with Barnett steel plates and barnett springs?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:49 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Location: In front of a computer inside a house situated on a street within a suburb of a city of a country located on the face of a planet in orbit around a star located within a galaxy somewhere in the ever expanding universe.
travishouseless wrote:

If I have to, is there an issue with combining EBC friction plates with Barnett steel plates and barnett springs?

That shouldn't cause a problem.

I ended up replacing my clutch "properly"

New after market friction and steel plates
New genuine pressure plate (be sure to check this for wear!)
New genuine springs.
New throw out bearing (FAG)

Works great now. You shouldn't need stronger than stock springs unless your bike is seriously modified power wise. They don't do much but make the lever extremely heavy and cause release issues.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:26 pm 

No matter how I slice it, it looks like I'm in for $200... Thinking about just going for this one https://www.canadasmotorcycle.ca/dp-brakes-dpk-clutch-kit.html

She's a little modded (jet kits, exhaust, airbox mod, typical stuff) and abused by past owners, I'm about to cross the country and need her to be sound so thinking on splurging for a good one.

or not and just get the EBC kit with everything, and use stock springs... I don't have much money left over

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 5:12 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Since it is a cross country trip better play it safe. If not I would just find a used set by a breaker and mix & match whatever measures right. This is what I did with my bike and all good but if I was planning a proper mileage trip, I would play it safe. You never know when you'll be stuck and in grave need to abuse it. My clutch springs went too-short in about 50-80 meters or so of abusive push&slip uphill goat pathway. Ok, it was hot Summer temperatures but even if it was cool, the situation would be the same in 50 more meters.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 5:49 pm 
DRRiders Technical Documentation Expert

:s_biggrin

Threewheelbonnie:
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -

My DR650 technical photos (but none of the cool stories that go with 'em), FEEL FREE TO COPY AND SHARE: http://er70s-2.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/Motorcycling

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 12:00 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Location: In front of a computer inside a house situated on a street within a suburb of a city of a country located on the face of a planet in orbit around a star located within a galaxy somewhere in the ever expanding universe.
There are still divots to grab the chain. I reckon you could go another 1000kms on that no worries.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next