www.DRRiders.com

A Dedicated Suzuki DR650 forum for DR650 riders to share their knowledge, experience and adventures!
It is currently Sat May 27, 2017 2:11 am

DRRIDERS.COM Search - powered by Google

DRRIDERS Member Location Map

Place yourself on the map here!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please post a concise description of the product in the subject line so other members will have an easier time locating the info they seek. No Hijacking or off topic discussions will be allowed to keep the info short and to the point. All opinions are welcome from members having experience with the subject line product.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:17 am 
Single Tracker
Single Tracker

Well folks, thought it about time to do a review on this product. It's been on the bike now 6 weeks.

I've mainly had tourers with big screens before and enjoyed the protection they give so it was a priority to get a screen for the DERRRR!!

As a commuter in the metro area it's been great. Early starts when it's still dark on our winter mornings keeps the worst of the cold and wet off me. All good there.

Though I haven't had it on an extended Hwy run the few bursts I've done at Freeway speeds proves pretty good. It definitely keeps the worst of the of the wind off only slightly coming across the top of the helmet. I'm 6". There is quite a large gap between the screen and headlight cowling which lets quite a lot of air in so if it's cool you get it on the body though it's only soft but it is there. This could be a bonus in summer though with a nice breeze blowing on you and we have long hot summers in my neck of the woods? I've thought of somehow blocking that gap up but i don't know what with?

Shows the Bobo bracket, gap between the screen and thumb screws.

The fitting was an easy DIY. Pretty straight forward there. The Robo brackets are supposed to give it a fair amount of adjustment to suit each rider. It took a couple of adjustments to get it satisfactory but it's all good now, basicly as high as I can possibly get it.

The screen is an 18" version and though I expressed an interest in the 20" screen the shop suggested I go with the 18". I'd really like to try that 20" to compare? Maybe the top of the screen would be right in my line of sight. Where it is now doesn't obstruct and is good from that point of view. There were colours available as well but decided the clear would be a wise choice when it came to riding in the dark.

Everything is very strong and solid. The brackets, mounting points and the screen is quite thick and strong. The screen detaches really easy with 4 finger tight screws and could easily be stored in a backpack, though I'd want it well protected from being scratched as a replacement is expensive.

Which leads to cost. The whole system was pretty expensive compared to other systems but it was a major priority for me which made it a farkle of good value, for me, so it depends on where it lies on your scale of priority? It was the very 1st addition to my white steed.

I'm 99% happy with it, the 1% is wondering what difference the 20" screen would make??

Madstad screen/robo bracket; TM40 pumper carb; Exhaust Professionals stainless steel pipe and header; Twin Air; Luggage rack by Alu Rack; Hepco Becker top box; 520 chain conversion 16t front 41t rear; Seat Concepts Tall seat; BikeMaster HID headlight; VisionX Driving lights; Acerbis 20lt tank;Intermators; 19"x2.5" Front; 17"x4.25" rear, Galfer 320 Front Wave Disc; Stainless Steel Braided Front Brake Hose; Vapor Digital Display and Dash;

Last edited by tellyzdr on Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:53 am 

Looks very well made, thanks for the pictures.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:22 pm 
Single Tracker
Single Tracker

I added some extensions to the sides of my headlight cowl. I did this to change the angle of my small windscreen that just mounts flat on the cowl.
Just undo the side screws(leave the front one alone)and move the cowling gently forward to see what I mean. The flat stock was maybe 1 or 1 1/2"
It will hood the headlight a bit but doesn't effect the pattern. I need to make a dashboard of sorts to cover/tidy up the wiring though...

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:15 pm 
Single Tracker
Single Tracker

Here's a pic of what I mean
clickie on the pic'ie

And how it hoods the light a bit

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:38 pm 

I just picked up a 2009 DR and am thoroughly enjoying it. The only issue I have is that it isn't very comfortable over about 60 mph because of the wind blast. I know that isn't an issue for 80% of my riding, but the other 20% involves 55-65mph speeds to get to the more enjoyable back roads and it isn't fun. I'm 68 and used to bikes with at least a full windshield, and while I know I can tolerate the bike as is, I'd much prefer to make it more comfortable on all of my rides, not just on dirt roads. I had a Madstad on my DL650 Vstrom and loved it, and will likely put one on my new 20124 DL1000, so I am familiar with the product.

Because the DR is such a small, light motorcycle, and the windshield is basically handlebar mounted, how does it handle at speed? Does it get "twitchy" as the speeds go up? I know that it is pricey, but at this stage in my life comfort is a critical component in determining how far, and how often, I will ride the bike.

Now that you've had it on for a year or so, do you still think it was the best windshield option available? Thanks in advance.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:07 am 
Single Tracker
Single Tracker

Now that you've had it on for a year or so, do you still think it was the best windshield option available? Thanks in advance.

Sounds like our riding experience is similar having had tourers and big bikes with screens, so I think people in that senario are going to want a decent screen, which this is. Plus, I've never liked riding naked bikes. Did some mods to the bike a couple months ago and didn't put the screen straight back on, but it didn't take long to make the time to re-fit it.

So after having it well over 12 months now I wouldn't ride my DRRRRR without it. Hwy speeds is fine stable, no probs. I can ride the back roads (twisty bits) with my buds on their big cruisers at top speed, 140-150 kph, (the bike won't go much faster than that) no probs at all. Smooth as silk.

I did however put a high seat on which raised the issue of the 18" verses 20" screen. So if you have or are going to get a high seat and are over 6', consider the 20" screen.

Let me know how you get on?

Cheers

Terry

Madstad screen/robo bracket; TM40 pumper carb; Exhaust Professionals stainless steel pipe and header; Twin Air; Luggage rack by Alu Rack; Hepco Becker top box; 520 chain conversion 16t front 41t rear; Seat Concepts Tall seat; BikeMaster HID headlight; VisionX Driving lights; Acerbis 20lt tank;Intermators; 19"x2.5" Front; 17"x4.25" rear, Galfer 320 Front Wave Disc; Stainless Steel Braided Front Brake Hose; Vapor Digital Display and Dash;

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:57 pm 

Thanks for the info. I think I'm going to bite the bullet and order one. I'm much more into how things work as opposed to how they look (within reason, of course). If it will help me rider longer distances with more comfort I think it will be money well spent.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:06 pm 
Single Tracker
Single Tracker

Funny how different people are used to different things. I've never had anything but naked bikes, so wind in the face seems perfectly normal to me. Any bike I've ever ridden with a screen feels odd by comparison.

90 Honda Hawk GT
82 Honda CB900F
79 Honda CBX

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:03 pm 
Single Tracker
Single Tracker

Did it come with those huge pipe looking brackets that are on either side of the headlamp, or did you make them for added adjustability?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:30 pm 
Single Tracker
Single Tracker

tellyzdr wrote:

Did it come with those huge pipe looking brackets that are on either side of the headlamp, or did you make them for added adjustability?

The huge pipe looking brackets came with it and is what the screen attaches to, the screen then being rigid, but this position isn't very good. The Robo bracket is a seperate bracket that is attached to the huge pipe brackets and makes the screen adjustable.

Hope that makes sence.

Terry