www.DRRiders.com

A Dedicated Suzuki DR650 forum for DR650 riders to share their knowledge, experience and adventures!
It is currently Tue May 23, 2017 10:18 pm

DRRIDERS.COM Search - powered by Google

DRRIDERS Member Location Map

Place yourself on the map here!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please post a concise description of the product in the subject line so other members will have an easier time locating the info they seek. No Hijacking or off topic discussions will be allowed to keep the info short and to the point. All opinions are welcome from members having experience with the subject line product.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 5:25 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

FWIW Madstad have now changed their mounting system and use two ram style mounts that fix to the handlebar area.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:29 am 

Just a little follow-up on the Madstad system. I purchased it a couple of weeks ago and have now ridden about 500 miles with it. I bought the 20" shield with the light tint. They have now modified the mounting system so that the brackets attach to the handlebar mounts. It was really simple to install. So what do I think about the system? In a word - "superb". It is everything I had hoped for. It is rock stable at up to 80mph, cuts the wind noise by about 80%, and makes longer rides far more enjoyable. If I want to do a more strenuous off road ride, I could remove the windshield in less than a minute. For the back road kind of riding I do, my guess that the screen will be on 99% of the time. With a more comfortable seat (next purchase) 300-400 mile days would be a piece of cake. It may not be for a serious off-road rider, but I think it is ideal for a dual purpose bike.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:08 am 
Single Tracker
Single Tracker

Just a little follow-up on the Madstad system. I purchased it a couple of weeks ago and have now ridden about 500 miles with it. I bought the 20" shield with the light tint. They have now modified the mounting system so that the brackets attach to the handlebar mounts. It was really simple to install. So what do I think about the system? In a word - "superb". It is everything I had hoped for. It is rock stable at up to 80mph, cuts the wind noise by about 80%, and makes longer rides far more enjoyable. If I want to do a more strenuous off road ride, I could remove the windshield in less than a minute. For the back road kind of riding I do, my guess that the screen will be on 99% of the time. With a more comfortable seat (next purchase) 300-400 mile days would be a piece of cake. It may not be for a serious off-road rider, but I think it is ideal for a dual purpose bike.

I totally agree with wour sentiment. I wouldn't ride without it. The new mounting system sounds interesting. I'll have to research it.

Have you got some pics of the bike with the screen, love to see.

Cheers.

Terry

Madstad screen/robo bracket; TM40 pumper carb; Exhaust Professionals stainless steel pipe and header; Twin Air; Luggage rack by Alu Rack; Hepco Becker top box; 520 chain conversion 16t front 41t rear; Seat Concepts Tall seat; BikeMaster HID headlight; VisionX Driving lights; Acerbis 20lt tank;Intermators; 19"x2.5" Front; 17"x4.25" rear, Galfer 320 Front Wave Disc; Stainless Steel Braided Front Brake Hose; Vapor Digital Display and Dash;

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:18 am 
Single Tracker
Single Tracker

I totally agree with wour sentiment. I wouldn't ride without it. The new mounting system sounds interesting. I'll have to research it.

Have you got some pics of the bike with the screen, love to see.

Cheers.

Terry

Wow, just checked out the new screen mount. Looks much better than the pipe style. I can feel a new screen coming on, 20". Anyone in Au wants to buy a second hand Madstad screen and robo bracket?

Edjoiner, I'd love to see some pics with some closeups of the mounts and see how the tinted screen looks. I was uncertain when I got mine so to be safe I went for the clear. What's your take on the tinted version?

Cheers.

Terry

Madstad screen/robo bracket; TM40 pumper carb; Exhaust Professionals stainless steel pipe and header; Twin Air; Luggage rack by Alu Rack; Hepco Becker top box; 520 chain conversion 16t front 41t rear; Seat Concepts Tall seat; BikeMaster HID headlight; VisionX Driving lights; Acerbis 20lt tank;Intermators; 19"x2.5" Front; 17"x4.25" rear, Galfer 320 Front Wave Disc; Stainless Steel Braided Front Brake Hose; Vapor Digital Display and Dash;

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:23 am 

Haven't found out how to post photos yet - computers and I don't get along very well. As far as the tint goes, it is very light and has virtually no negatives. Having the windshield on probably isn't the best option if someone is doing hard-ccore dirt riding, but for back roads, light trail runs, etc., I can't fault it. And on the paved roads at 50-80 mph, it is as good as anything I have ridden, short of a full-dress tourer, in terms of quiet, relaxed riding.

I had a 1999 DR 650 for 9 years before selling it in 2008 because I just didn't enjoy it on rides over 150 miles or so. Most of the loops I ride around here (northern California) are 250-350 miles. With the Madstad, and a better seat, rides of that length will now be a piece of cake. I expect this bike to be in my stable for years to come.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:26 pm 

Anyone else have feedback on the Madstad? In particular, how's the buffeting and wind protection at highway speeds? Thanks!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 5:36 pm 
MSF Student
MSF Student

I picked up my Magstad Screen ( 18 inch clear) back in March when I was down In Florida to watch some spring training. I got 40 bucks off or a little more can't remember cause I picked it up at their shop. Just put it on in October cause of the fall weather getting cold up here. For the record I prefer to ride without a screen. Just to cold this time of year. The screen works great. The first ride on the highway had my visor up and didn't even realize it untill I got off at the exit also it cuts the noise by at least 80%. What I find odd is that its quieter riding with my visor up. Could be my helmet its an old Eddie Lawson Shoei replica. Magstad is worth it very happy with it. You can raise and lower the screen and change pitch and flip it upside down for offroad. I will try to post some pics but smacked my ankle on my Husky Wr and just to painfull to crawl to the garage.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:52 am 

I know this is an old thread, but it's the one that originally inspired me to get the madstad windscreen for my DR 650. I have to say so far so good. It's true what they say, it keeps the wind off of your body and helmet with no buffeting whatsoever. I have the 18" screen with the enduro brackets. I adjusted the andgle and height so they're right in the middle of the range of motion, and it works great. I do get a small amount of wind that comes through the gap between the top of the stock shroud and the bottom of the windshield. I could adjust the screen lower to eliminate the gap, but it really isn't a problem at all. I'm 5'9 and the height is more than adequate, I probably could have gotten the 16" screen and been fine. Anyway, I provided some photos at various angles so you can see what the system looks like. Enjoy.

Attachments:
File comment: Madstad DR650 4
IMG_0526.JPG
IMG_0526.JPG [ 247.16 KiB | Viewed 124 times ]
File comment: Madstad DR650 3
RenderedContent-126FC3FD-B8A4-482F-8877-A11969CAE4AC.JPG
RenderedContent-126FC3FD-B8A4-482F-8877-A11969CAE4AC.JPG [ 152.1 KiB | Viewed 139 times ]
File comment: Madstad DR650 2
RenderedContent-AD9A2B67-560C-4821-AF40-F0E532EC30CE.JPG
RenderedContent-AD9A2B67-560C-4821-AF40-F0E532EC30CE.JPG [ 169.68 KiB | Viewed 139 times ]
File comment: Madstad DR650 1
RenderedContent-946B469B-7281-45CF-BC01-0C5BEEEAC5A5.JPG
RenderedContent-946B469B-7281-45CF-BC01-0C5BEEEAC5A5.JPG [ 205.14 KiB | Viewed 139 times ]

Last edited by jrunell on Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:53 am 
Single Tracker
Single Tracker

tellyzdr wrote:
I'm 99% happy with it, the 1% is wondering what difference the 20" screen would make??

My 1190 Adv has a Madstad and I can make it really tall by using both the factory and Madstad adjusters. Long story short, taller is about the same feeling as if it's just going over my helmet.
I put my hand in the air stream and with it barely touching the top of my helmet, it's about the best it will get, higher seems to be no difference in feel/noise IMO.
Closing the vents in my helmet helps reduce most noise.

I might have to get a madstad for my DR650 now...

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:05 pm 

GT4Point6 wrote:
tellyzdr wrote:
I'm 99% happy with it, the 1% is wondering what difference the 20" screen would make??

My 1190 Adv has a Madstad and I can make it really tall by using both the factory and Madstad adjusters. Long story short, taller is about the same feeling as if it's just going over my helmet.
I put my hand in the air stream and with it barely touching the top of my helmet, it's about the best it will get, higher seems to be no difference in feel/noise IMO.
Closing the vents in my helmet helps reduce most noise.

I might have to get a madstad for my DR650 now...

Yeah. I will experiment with lowering it on my next ride. I'm sure I can get it more dialed in with a little bit of work. I was surprised how well it worked on the first try though. Very good product.