www.DRRiders.com

A Dedicated Suzuki DR650 forum for DR650 riders to share their knowledge, experience and adventures!
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Lowering the DR650
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:02 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

The DR650 has a factory option to be lowered. I asked a couple of service managers at Suzuki dealers about doing it that way.
I got a funny answer. "We don't go to all that trouble. We just move the bolt on the rear shock to the upper hole and slide the forks up in the triple clamps about 3/4 inch. Then put on the shorter side stand."
Really. And you expect me to pay for that? :reallyshocked:

This was a couple of years ago. I did some digging on multiple forums to see if anybody out there has suffered adverse effects from this shortcut.
I couldn't find a single post. (Disclaimer: that doesn't mean they aren't out there). The only problem was with people that had slid their forks up more than 1 inch.
So I did it the shortcut way. I had no problems whatsoever. In the dirt it was great to not have to worry as much about stopping over a dip and not being able to touch! It is also very simple to do. And makes it easy to reverse if you should want too! :)

Rear
1. Loosen the lower shock bolt. I needed penetrating oil and a 2 foot breaker bar to break the Loctight.
2. The little metal flap that covers the upper bolt hole, bend it out of the way so that you can see the upper bolt hole.
3. Mount the shock on the upper hole.
4. Loctite and tighten the nut to 40 lb/ft per the manual.

Center Stand
Replace with the shorter one so the bike doesn't fall over you take it off the jack or crate. Some owners opt to remove an inch or two from the center of the stand and weld it back together. But that makes it harder to reverse the process if you want too.

Front
1. Loosen the upper and lower triple clamp bolts on the side of each fork.
2. You may need to lower the bike or lever up the front wheel to slide the forks up in the clamps. Around 3/4 of an inch keeps the steering geometry about the same. This was the hardest step. A helper would be useful.
3. Tighten down the upper and lower clamp bolts.
Upper: 21 lb/ft per the manual.
Lower: 19 lb/ft per the manual.

Tah-dah! An hour or so later and you are done. :good:

If you want to do it the factory way. Consult the manual. The information is in there. The rear isn't too hard to do the factory way.
See this pictorial of it: http://members.westnet.com.au/dangermouse/lowering.html
The front is a lot more involved. Me, being a lazy mechanic, I didn't want to mess with it. Also, I wanted to be able to easily AND quickly reverse it.
The factory way is not quick, or easy in my opinion.

I was glad that I did it with the shortcut, because I reversed it after a year. I do much less dirt riding now and like the taller bike in the twisties.
I am an enthusiastic rider. So far I am not a peg scraper, but in the lower position it always felt like I was going to scrape.

Post subject: Re: Lowering the DR650
PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:14 pm 
MSF Student
MSF Student

Don't do it!

(The spacer flip method) I'd only consider dropping the forks in the tree a small amount and the shock bolt mount method in the rear.

I reversed the lowering done by the Prior Owner (PO). The guy was tall too! I'm 5.7 I reversed the front fork spacers and the moved the shock back to the normal position. I may have to flip the spacer in the rear shock I don't know if it was done as well. Its a pain in the ass and understand why the dealer charges 2-3 hours+ in labor. If you know exactly what you are doing and don't need any new parts such as seals etc, it could be done in an hour, most dealers will likely take or charge 2-3hours.

Bottom line. with 17's it is way too low. I scraped pegs left and right. I'm not that great of a rider I don't think, but come from sportbike background. I can't imagine riding that thing in the dirt when lowered. If you were going to run 21 and 17" then maybe the rear would need to drop a little to help deal with the 1.5-2" up front. I've never run the 21 and will find out soon enough. I'd advise to NOT do this unless your legs are helplessly shorter than mine, in that case buy a different bike maybe a xr70!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:36 pm 
MSF Student
MSF Student

cant you just lower the rear shock by loosening the two nuts on the shock???

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:37 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

If you just want to lower the rear.
See my post a little further back in the thread. You will need the short kickstand. And if you don't want to totally screw up the handling, you will want to slide the shocks up in the triple clamps about 3/4 inch.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 6:50 pm 
MSF Student
MSF Student

Debating about lowering mine also.If I do I will also take the easy route and slide the forks up in the triple tree.Like the idea of being able to return to stock very easily.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:12 pm 
SuperMoto Dude
SuperMoto Dude

i lowered mine and honestly it looked like ass....looked as if the rear shock had blown out....it is quick to do though although i lowered the front 1 1/8 to get it back even measurement wise with the rear...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:40 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

gearsmasher wrote:
i lowered mine and honestly it looked like ass....looked as if the rear shock had blown out....it is quick to do though although i lowered the front 1 1/8 to get it back even measurement wise with the rear...

If it looks like ass when you lower the back, then you still aren't lowering the front enough.

In addition to lowering my shock, I purchased some adjustable lowering links, and had to slide the forks up considerably more. The bike geometry is damn near perfect now. It basically looks like a giant Suzuki DS80 :laughing:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:40 pm 
SuperMoto Dude
SuperMoto Dude

looks like a giant ds80 is exactly what i thought....but in the back of my mind couldnt get the 500lb man at the circus riding a ds80...just didnt look right to me for some reason but it is nice to know i can do it quick if i need to

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:45 pm 
Single Tracker
Single Tracker

oasiscraze wrote:
gearsmasher wrote:

If it looks like ass when you lower the back, then you still aren't lowering the front enough.

+1. when i bought mine it was lowered at the rear only. "ass" is a good way to describe it :rofl:

the kickstand was too tall for it, so had to be careful how it was parked. not knowing any better, i just cut down the kickstand, and used the stick welder to stick it back together. all good. then i read about the "lowering" thing, raised it, and the kickstand was too short :s_mad \

so i cut it, put the cutout section back in, and re-welded it. all good now, just some wasted time :drinks:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:56 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

I'm a shorty pants rider and I was going to lower mine when I first got it, I even bought a shorter side stand from a member. After I got a cheap gel seat, also from a member, it fit me perfectly stock. Now if I can just get my buttocks to quit burning? :diablo: