www.DRRiders.com

A Dedicated Suzuki DR650 forum for DR650 riders to share their knowledge, experience and adventures!
It is currently Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:40 pm

DRRIDERS.COM Search - powered by Google

DRRIDERS Member Location Map

Place yourself on the map here!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:52 pm 
mxrob wrote:
Mi_ka wrote:
Having a background in audio engineering I should have thought of it first: A local guy used a readily available 2-track audio engineering program to locate the thumping period of his DR400 idling and calculate the exact rpm without a dedicated rpm gizmo:
So MxRob, suggestion for PRO feature:
Some kind of audio-analysis band pass period measuring rpm calculating rpm function: Just hold your phone very close to the engine's head to have the idle rpm readily displayed on the screen (upside down orientation so you can point the microphone closer).
Upgrade to PRO at $0.99 could provide funding for an iPhone version :spiteful: and allow us to properly show our gratitude for your time, at last!

Something like this?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... auge&hl=en

Looks like that app gets bad reviews....

Cool idea though...

It's actually a pretty hard DSP calculation for a phone to do in real time and be accurate... Not so easy to filter out garbage, and would require many FIR filter taps, so without a dedicated DSP it might be quite the challenge. A crap ton of real time math is involved, and would need a decent moving averaging algorithm that wont hog memory... MATLAB is your friend! LOL

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:53 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Well I am sure it is not easy (got :wacko: just by your math-to-do synopsis)
BUT
I failed to clearly note that the guy mentioned used this audio method to calculate IDLING rpm only - he did not care to add a phone derived tachometer, he just wanted to adjust idling rpm with some precision and the thumping pulses of his DRjunior are easy to locate their period on a screen.
Maybe some study of recordings made very close to the DR's head could easily pull out a custom noise filter mask applicable for the DR only, away from different exhaust notes per modded bikes.
Or the other way around, a recording of exhaust thumping note at idle holding the phone close to the exhaust output (but away from the gas stream!!) could maybe produce a low-pass custom mask filter applicable to various thumpers of the like of the DR. I think that pulses around the idle rpm should be easily distinguishable and counted this way - we are talking up to 2K rpm tops.

Post subject: Good but ...
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 6:04 pm 
Map & Manual Master Moderator

Downloaded the app to my trusty old Samsung Galaxy Tab 2, 7". I always love it when someone applies modern technology in a truly beneficial way. How convenient that now I have this information on the same device that I use for snapping photos and checking email on the go, since my phone is not smart; just a dumb old Nokia hockey puck model going on 10 years now ... another story.

However, about the DR650 app, I must point out one glaring error that jumped out at me while browsing through it. In the section on Checking/Adjusting Valves, the second page shows a photo of the fuel valve in the "RESERVE" position, but red text superimposed over the photo says this is the "ON" position, with an arrow pointing to the "ON" side of the valve.

OK, a simple mistake that wouldn't be worth mentioning, except there is the danger of misinforming someone who doesn't know better, and could cause him/her to start running their own bike with the fuel valve in the reserve position all the time. That person will think he/she still has 3 liters in the tank when the carb starts sputtering, but actually it will be dry, oh so dry.

I haven't proof-read the whole thing yet, don't really intend to, but I like it. Nice job.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:50 pm 
Member Servant
Member Servant

That error, along with many others, brought to you by the Suzuki factory manual... watch them head bolt positions... :rolleyes:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:01 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Suzuki minor quality annoyances perpetuate into service manuals too, at least in the DR's case.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 6:16 am 
Map & Manual Master Moderator

mxrob wrote:
That error, along with many others, brought to you by the Suzuki factory manual... watch them head bolt positions... :rolleyes:

Rob, thanks for your reply, but what does the misleading fuel valve photo in the DR650 app have to do with the Suzuki factory manual? I have the manual, and that photo is not from the manual. Suzuki did not take that photo and label it incorrectly, and I realize you didn't either, as this section is borrowed from another source. All that's needed is to take note and address the error in some appropriate way in the next version of the DR650 app; whenever the time comes that you feel you have enough updates to warrant a new version.

There is no question that many more will join me in commending you for the huge sacrifice of time and effort that was certainly required in authoring the DR650 app, and I am honored to be among the early users of this fine application. You have provided something very helpful to me personally, and to the entire community of DR650 owners. You can be proud of that, and the fact that it's always a work in progress is simply the nature of the beast. Kudos to you.