www.DRRiders.com

A Dedicated Suzuki DR650 forum for DR650 riders to share their knowledge, experience and adventures!
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:38 am

DRRIDERS.COM Search - powered by Google

DRRIDERS Member Location Map

Place yourself on the map here!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 311 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 32  Next

Did you:
Discover you'd bought a great bike after the fact 28%  28%  [ 103 ]
Determine the DR was the right bike before buying 72%  72%  [ 265 ]
Total votes : 368
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:01 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

A lot of new members sign up here having just purchased, or in some cases about to purchase, a DR.

I'm curious how many people did extensive research before deciding the DR was the bike for them, as opposed to those that stumbled across the DR then found it what a great bike it was!

Simple poll to track the numbers, but post your experience if it's worth sharing.

For me - I knew I wanted a DS bike for some time, and did a lot of research over many months before deciding on the DR, then waited again until the right deal came along. I walked away from several other bikes (a friend with a well-farkled KLR at a good price, for example) after I made my decision.

..a

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:09 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

I did research the DR well but the KLR and DRZ were also close contenders. It was after I bought the DR that I truly realized that fate smiled on me :drinks:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:13 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

I new I wanted a DS, Just didn't know what one, did my research, turned out the DR was the best ranking in reviews, actually one me over from a ducati (I was about to buy)... Read every article I could find, and knew going to the dealership what I wanted... The test ride won me over..

+1000000000000 for this bike, people ask me all the time what I would take for it... I tell them to pound sand, know body could make me sell this beautiful creation from suzuki.

2012 DR650~ FMF-Q4,power bomb, DJ kit, modified Carb, modified air box, Twin Air filter, Pro-taper CR high bend bars, Acerbis 5.3 gal fuel tank, Vapor Tach, PWC skid plate, UNI breather filter, Moose racing hand guards, Pat Walsh rear rack, Super moto fender, 12v outlet, 14 tooth CS sprocket, Xring chain, Full cogent suspension, Runnin on Royal P.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:20 am 
MSF Student
MSF Student

I'm curious how many people did extensive research before deciding the DR was the bike for them, as opposed to those that stumbled across the DR then found it what a great bike it was!

I wanted a bike. I knew *nothing* about bikes. I asked around my friends, got an idea of prices -- found a few within my budget (DR650, F650GS) and then found that a majority of my friends recommended the DR. So I trusted their experience and judgement and bought one, with my only riding experience being on a 50cc Honda around the back yard in 1978. I didn't even test-ride the DR. In hindsight, there's nothing I'd change; the DR is a perfect bike for me. I mostly ride dirt/gravel when I can, and commute a short distance (15 mins) to work just about every day. 4000km since February and loving it.

So i guess I'm a bit of both. I did the research in finding bikes in my price range, matching models to my expected riding regime, then got recommendations from friends about which would be best for me. But I found out what a great bike it is only after owning it.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:34 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

I did a lot of research. I was set on a BMW F650GS Dakar but they were going out of production right about the time I was going to buy. I thought then I'd wait and buy a F800GS but when I sat on it I thought DAMN this thing is big. I started looking at KLRs (we don't have a Suzuki dealer here) and thought even it seemed big and top heavy. That's when I started looking (online) more at the DR650. In the mean time I found a BMW F650GS Dakar but the owner thought even though it was used, it was made of gold.

I drove to a Suzuki dealer out of town and sat on one and thought I'd pretty much just have to buy it and see if it worked for me. I didn't come ready to make the deal so I made the deal over the phone a few days later to buy it that following Saturday. When I was driving to the shop to actually make the purchase I called on the way and the dealer said he sold it out from under me. I asked if he was getting another and he said he has a list of people that want to buy the next one and he wasn't going to make another deal over the phone, it would be first person to sign on the dotted line (I'd since lost out on special financing due to the bike getting sold out from under me).

I found another dealer that agreed to sell me a bike, but he too said they sell themselves, that he'd be willing to commit to hold it for me until I could drive there the following weekend but if I didn't want it or changed my mind, to let him know because he'd have it sold within a few days of it hitting the sales floor. I made the deal over the phone, he didn't require a deposit and met him the following weekend and rode home.

I didn't really know I'd like the DR since I couldn't find a used one or someone to let me ride theirs. I've done a number of mods to it and think it's really the perfect bike for what I do. It doesn't do anything perfect, but it does a lot of different things well (enough). So, ultimately, I did a lot of research into bikes, but really kind of stumbled on the DR650 as a last in the long list of bikes I researched and think that it's worked out for the best.

2011 DR650, Fly Aero tapered bars, RT front springs/emulators, RT rear spring/shock shaft assy, BarkBusters, MT21s, 14/43T, etc.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:03 am 

I had previously owned a DR-Z, and currently owned a large DS. My wife and I rode our friend's pair of DRs and liked them for the kind of forest roads we have around here. It made sense to get the same machines as our friends as we are in a small community with no dealers close. I am surprised how much fun the DR is on the street, though.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:05 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

DS? I wasn't looking for a "dual sport" I was looking for an Enduro like a bunch a bikes I had back in the 70's and 80's. Nothing I looked at sparked my interest, I didn't want liquid cooling, I didn’t want the complexity of dual cams with shim on bucket valve adjustments, I didn't want a huge fairing mounted to the frame like a Goldwing, I didn’t want something that weighed as much as my Concours or cost as much as it did either. I wanted something that was fairly light weight, nimble, had good torque and was simple. A friend had been lusting after the DR650 saying it was the perfect enduro and was affordable so I looked closer and set my Craigslist search to find some to look at. The Suzuki dealer was about 30 miles away but I went up and eyeballed it, they wouldn’t let me ride one till I did the paperwork for a loan or put full price in their hand, right this cheap ass is gonna give you 6K for a test ride, hopped on the Connie and hauled ass away from there. A few popped on Craigslist, looked at them rode a couple thought they were over priced and had farkles I was not interested in. Having been a lurker on DRRiders for a while I knew what I wanted, simple mods, a GSXR/Busa can, Kientech Midpipe, TM40 or FCR, a box on the back to haul my lunch to work, and I like yellow, simple stuff. Found a 2005 for 2K on CL, rode it, realized it was yellow under the crappy white paint job some ‘tard (No dis to SM guys) had spray bombed on it and bought it. It was love at first wheelie! It is now setup the way I want it, it takes me everywhere I need to go solo, it’s not a 2 up bike in my book, I am 6’4” and weight 250 lb’s so it is just for me, the wife’s feet didn’t touch the ground when she sat on it so she is stuck with her 1976 Yamaha 175 Enduro. We rode the Concours to Daytona for Bike Week and had a blast, I rode the DR back up solo the next day and had 10 times as much fun in the Pirate Parade, easy parking on Main St. while the leather crowd struggled with getting 800 pounds of chrome over the curb, got weird looks, complements and ridicule from some poser pirate boys, overall had a super time on my thumper! People ask me if I would sell it and I say sure, give me 6K and it’s yours, they walk away shaking their head…

I love my Enduro, it makes me grin like a 16 year old on an Elsinore!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:26 am 
Single Tracker
Single Tracker

actually bought mine to flip, loved my Honda 919, but when I started modding the 650 and couldn't quit, ended up keeping the DR. I remember the moment of truth came when standing behind both bikes looking at replacing both rear tires; Pilot Road 2, 180.00 vs Shinko 700, 50.00... that and the fact that i can have fun on the DR anywhere, parking lots, etc, while I felt i had to go somewhere special to unleash the 9.

actually, I hold Janet and Jesse 100% responsible, now that I think about it.

TM40, 19" front, FMF header, 40F0, Vaportech, Seat Concepts, Intiminators, Eibachs, Renthal, matching yellow and black spandex body suit(just kidding on that last one)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:30 am 
MSF Student
MSF Student

I did a lot of research, I wanted simplicity as I never wanted to have to take my bike back to the shop, the KLR was a close second on paper but to heavy once I threw a leg over one and also I love the big dirt bike look's of the DR, the DR need's some mod's to get her up to speed but in my humble opinion she is the right choice, for me anyway.

Take Care

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:03 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

I was looking at all the "adventure bikes" Happen to be looking at the Vstrom and looked over to my right and there she was :rose: An old school bullet proof machine.. she was just what I wanted... :blush: Thoughts of all the other girls went away and my heart had one love....... :s_cool

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 311 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 32  Next