www.DRRiders.com

A Dedicated Suzuki DR650 forum for DR650 riders to share their knowledge, experience and adventures!
It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:12 pm

DRRIDERS.COM Search - powered by Google

DRRIDERS Member Location Map

Place yourself on the map here!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 310 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31

Did you:
Discover you'd bought a great bike after the fact 28%  28%  [ 103 ]
Determine the DR was the right bike before buying 72%  72%  [ 265 ]
Total votes : 368
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:16 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

well said! :2_thumbsup:

40 GOTO 10

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:38 pm 
Single Tracker
Single Tracker

I bought my first pre 1996 DR on somewhat of a whim. I was living on a mountain with 4 miles of gravel to my home and lots of power lines and trails in the area. Having had a few small street bikes previously I knew I wanted a Dual Sport. What great fun. Rode all 4 seasons in all types of stuff other than hard core single track. And then my first child was born and mom said all the toys must go... Lost a john boat and the DR at the same time :s_dunno Fast forward 23 years. Kids are in college. Still have the same wife. Now I need a new pony. My brother came home with a Triumph T100 850 last year and I took it for a spin. WOW how things can change in decades - sooooo much more power then the 650's and 750's from my childhood. Where I grew up "Trumpets" were king and the fact that they had a bobber version got me thinking... That was, of course, until I came to my senses and checked my bank account :s_yes And my liking of dirt as opposed to riding with cagers around me.

I went to the local dealer and threw a leg over the ole DR with visions of previous exploits streaming through my head. The salesman say's, "Why not the Honda?" As he pointed to the XR650 sitting next to me. I just smiled and said, "Nah..." :biggrin:

So here I am. I'm putting another toy up for sale tonight. As soon as she's gone she'll be replaced by a brand spanking new DR!!

PS - Know anyone in MD who wants a turbo'd 2013 Scion TC Release 7.0 (#35) 39K on the ticker - One of 2,400... Runs like a scalded dog $12K

Oh - And thanks to everyone on this site for the valuable info. I've read 100's of threads and now I know I need to correct, suspension, carb, seat, displacement, carrying capacity (doubt it), grips, lighting, elec. accessories, peg placement, handlebars, bash plate, etc., etc. - Thank God I don't let my wife know about this site. She would spam the daylights out of us!!!! :s_bomb

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:16 pm 
MSF Student
MSF Student

Rode it 350 miles to my hometown of Manhattan Beach from San Jose. The next day, "charmed the snake" with it on Mulholland (just above The Rock Store).
Rode it all over L.A. for a week, then back to San Jose. :Roost:

Next day took it to the local motorcycle dirt park and had a blast. :bumps:

It's like a Swiss army knife on wheels.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:50 pm 

As for me, my brother bought a KLR and I almost did the same but then thought it would be cool to swop bikes from time to time on a ride (that doesn't happen so much anymore :biggrin: ). I had no clue what to expect from the DR, it was just different to the KLR and that's why I bought it. But man oh man, I made the right choice. If we do swop bikes on a ride, I do notice an improved level of comfort on the KLR but the sheer fun factor of the DR cannot be beat.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:32 pm 

I got my first motorcycle about 50 years ago. A Honda S90 that I only got to ride on dirt roads, for the most part. The only pavement it saw was about two miles of asphalt on the way to gas it up. I had no license at that time, so had to stay off public roads.

Fast forward many years and several motorcycles (road and dual-purpose), have life get in the way, and it had been last century since I’d been on a motorcycle, despite having three in the garage (I hate when that happens - what a waste!).

So these days, the wife and I are into mountain biking of the bicycle persuasion, and she wants to do the Trans America - West coast to East coast, as much on dirt roads as possible. I’m not so much into it, so will have to find something to keep me busy for a month or two, while she does that - unsupported (it’s in the rules!). I’m thinking she needs to find dirt roads to practice on, and what better way to search for them than on a motorcycle! Of course, I offer my services, but will need to buy a bike. Of course.

I didn’t want to spend a fortune, but I did want to buy new (I tend to keep things - in the garage are my 1969 Yamaha YR and my 1985 H-D Super Glide), so that limited my choice to a 650 thumper, or something similar - brand new 20-year-old motorcycles.

The KLR is popular, but not really suited for rougher dirt roads. The 8-inch suspension travel - I couldn’t get past that.
KTM? WAY too expensive, though wonderful bikes, from what I understand.
Yamaha? They don’t seem to make anything under $10K, so I didn’t even look.
So - the Honda XR650L it is!

That was my decision. Now just to find the time to go look at one, maybe test ride it before I bought it. Maybe I’ll watch some Youtube videos, get a better feel for it.

And that’s when it crept up on me. I started seeing videos about “The Doctor”. Saw a great series by a guy in Australia, and it got me intrigued. What IS this thing, anyway? Suzuki? What the hell do they know about motorcycles anyway? Aren’t they the ones who came out with the Water Buffalo and the crazy Wankel Rotary-engined freak back in the 70s?

So I looked into it, and things started to change - the granny-gear first on the Honda started to really bother me. Evidently 1-2 shifts need to be VERY deliberate. Or so they say. And THEY are always right, aren’t they?

Went to look at the Honda, ready to buy. Got ignored by everyone, even a sales guy who stopped to talk to me as I straddled it. He was more interested in the kids who were clambering all over an ATV. So I left. Went to the local Suzuki dealer, who didn’t have one, and didn’t want to have one in stock, because “They just sit on the floor, until I have to sell them at a huge discount to get rid of them”. Hmmm.

But by now I’ve decided it’s what I want, so run my credit and see what happens. He runs it, and now, HE is interested. “So, get me a bike”. He finds one out of state and brings it in, I sign the papers after sitting on it for ten seconds. Haven’t even heard it run.

Paperwork done - the bike is mine! Now let’s go ride it!

Did I mention it’s been over a decade and a half since I’ve been on a motorcycle? Motor skills (see what I did there?) change with time. We don’t realize that what we THINK is a teenie tiny twist of the wrist … isn’t. That, and the engine being cold. That, and the fact a stock DR is, shall we say, a bit lurchy just above idle. Good thing the wife convinced me to take a spin around the parking lot before getting on the busy road in front of the dealership, because I almost landed on my backside! I had just let the clutch out, so didn’t have a firm grip with my left hand, when I grabbed a lot more throttle than I meant to - almost lost the left handlebar!

First impressions - this bike has a TREMENDOUS amount of torque. I don’t remember my 1340cc Harley having this much torque just above idle. Then again, somewhere I’d seen a dyno printout of the DR, and full torque comes in just above idle and stays pretty steady (minus a little dip) for more than half the rev range. Out on the road, this thing is a BLAST!

In the intervening couple of weeks, I’ve got almost 600 miles on it, and love it more every day.

My first fill-up showed 60.3 mpg. Wow. I was expecting MAYBE 50. Second fill-up dipped to 54, but then, I was riding a bit more aggressively. Third fill-up, about 56, and my last was over 58. I’m a VERY happy camper! I guess the engine is loosening up, because my riding has not become less aggressive.

Mods? Not yet, but plenty of plans in the works. Racks, bags, tank, handlebars, pegs, engine protection, suspension. Engine work? Not sure. I love flirting with 60 mpg, and hate to give that up. Power is definitely not lacking, even in stock tune. It lurches at low RPM, but otherwise runs great. I might do a little tweaking, but hope I can keep mileage above 55.

Most fun bike I've had? Probably, and if not, awfully close! I'm a bit more cautious when I ride than I used to be - old bones tend to be brittle, so I don't want to break any! I'm going to do most of my wrenching myself, and I'm going to get the old bikes running again - you tend to forget how much fun bikes are, if you don't stay on them, so I'm not going to make that mistake again! But I think the DR will get the most miles on it. It's really hard not to love this bike.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:29 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

bstad wrote:
I'm going to do most of my wrenching myself

Welcome! :2_thumbsup:

Have a look around the forum for 3 things you MUST do as they are known design flaws on this pretty more than just reliable bike:

1. Upper chain guide, can take up a good chunk of the frame when it goes
2. NSU (neutral sending unit) screws threadlock/wire safety as they have a high chance of getting undone if not taken care of
3. Countersprocket seal retainer as that seal has a high chance of popping out sometime in the bike's life (more so in the cold) causing a major oil leak

Now, since you are interested in doing much of off-roading and you prefer getting new and properly set stuff I would suggest you have a look at an already set up and just bolt it on pumper TM40 carburetor from Procycle as the standard vacuum operated BST40 carburetor on the bike makes low speed control under 3K rpm problematic, even more so when navigating tight stuff with a loaded bike.

As you may see in the forum or the procycle catalog, you can do plenty plenty of tinkering and go from a full adventure hefty setup to a lean canyon carving supermoto setup on this same bike so you just need to figure out what you really need/want. From my rusty experience, for off roading keep it simple and lightest possible. And never forget, the DR does feel like a nimble funbike on the dirt but when that dirt goes softer it suddenly transforms into an obese hard to control pig of a dirt bike and you better have this in mind before you ask of it to do KTM airy stuff (unless you have been touched by the hand of that wizard they got down at the Ozland that turn simple folks to riding gods: https://youtu.be/VJMYMC4jxKM )

40 GOTO 10

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:56 am 

Mi_ka wrote:
bstad wrote:
I'm going to do most of my wrenching myself

Welcome! :2_thumbsup:

Have a look around the forum for 3 things you MUST do as they are known design flaws on this pretty more than just reliable bike:

1. Upper chain guide, can take up a good chunk of the frame when it goes
2. NSU (neutral sending unit) screws threadlock/wire safety as they have a high chance of getting undone if not taken care of
3. Countersprocket seal retainer as that seal has a high chance of popping out sometime in the bike's life (more so in the cold) causing a major oil leak

Now, since you are interested in doing much of off-roading and you prefer getting new and properly set stuff I would suggest you have a look at an already set up and just bolt it on pumper TM40 carburetor from Procycle as the standard vacuum operated BST40 carburetor on the bike makes low speed control under 3K rpm problematic, even more so when navigating tight stuff with a loaded bike.

As you may see in the forum or the procycle catalog, you can do plenty plenty of tinkering and go from a full adventure hefty setup to a lean canyon carving supermoto setup on this same bike so you just need to figure out what you really need/want. From my rusty experience, for off roading keep it simple and lightest possible. And never forget, the DR does feel like a nimble funbike on the dirt but when that dirt goes softer it suddenly transforms into an obese hard to control pig of a dirt bike and you better have this in mind before you ask of it to do KTM airy stuff (unless you have been touched by the hand of that wizard they got down at the Ozland that turn simple folks to riding gods: https://youtu.be/VJMYMC4jxKM )

Thanks! Looking forward to learning a lot more, this seems a great group!

As to your suggestions:
1. Already got a screw to put in its place. This will happen VERY soon.
2. SUPPOSEDLY they started applying threadlocker on the 2017 models, which mine is. My thinking is - if they apply threadlocker like they apply grease to the bearings ... I'm gonna be in there with safety wire.
3. Again, SUPPOSEDLY they already have that on there, but I'm going to make sure. As they say - TRUST ... but verify!

I have about a $3K wishlist for Procycle already. Gonna take a while. I'm old, so canyon carving is right out. Had my fun doing that many, many years ago on a 1971 Honda CB750 Four. I'm more into going for four-wheeling roads, but probably the ones where most jeeps won't want to tread - too uncomfortable when you're tracking two sets of wheels, but a bike can find a good line through most of it and have a fun time. Lots of armor on the engine, racks and soft luggage, and I'll be all set. Suspension upgrades ARE part of the plan, but quite a bit down the road.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:01 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

bstad wrote:
I have about a $3K wishlist for Procycle already. Gonna take a while. I'm old, so canyon carving is right out. Had my fun doing that many, many years ago on a 1971 Honda CB750 Four. I'm more into going for four-wheeling roads, but probably the ones where most jeeps won't want to tread - too uncomfortable when you're tracking two sets of wheels, but a bike can find a good line through most of it and have a fun time. Lots of armor on the engine, racks and soft luggage, and I'll be all set. Suspension upgrades ARE part of the plan, but quite a bit down the road.

Before you spend any money on carb mods, check out the BST magic thread:
topic16700.html

I modded my carb for the price of a new main jet, and get a bit more grunt while still maintaining around 55-58 mpgs on country roads.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:21 pm 

Well I all of a sudden got the hankering for a bike again after a 15 year hiatus. We were in Deadwood WY a month ago and got to looking at some of dual sports folks were on touring the west. Came back and began doing some research. I was narrowing down the canadites when I stumbled into a 2012 DR 650 with 1,400 miles and never ever been in the dirt! This thing is like it just got unboxed. A few days later...it's parked in the garage!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:47 am 
Member Servant
Member Servant

Mattyd wrote:
Well I all of a sudden got the hankering for a bike again after a 15 year hiatus. We were in Deadwood WY a month ago and got to looking at some of dual sports folks were on touring the west. Came back and began doing some research. I was narrowing down the canadites when I stumbled into a 2012 DR 650 with 1,400 miles and never ever been in the dirt! This thing is like it just got unboxed. A few days later...it's parked in the garage!

:2_thumbsup: Congrats!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 310 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31