www.DRRiders.com

A Dedicated Suzuki DR650 forum for DR650 riders to share their knowledge, experience and adventures!
It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:08 pm

DRRIDERS.COM Search - powered by Google

DRRIDERS Member Location Map

Place yourself on the map here!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 310 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31  Next

Did you:
Discover you'd bought a great bike after the fact 28%  28%  [ 103 ]
Determine the DR was the right bike before buying 72%  72%  [ 265 ]
Total votes : 368
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 4:09 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Mi_ka wrote:
500 ορ 550? A local guy had put some Porsche piston in his 550 and with the Ohlins upgraded cantilever suspension it was a sensation to try to keep up with in the twisties (this guy is a racing guru as well).

500 yamaha.
The XT550 is a different beast altogether, and us real TT/XT/SR 500 nuts here in OZ don't rate them and won't touch them.
Some of us found them a bit too easy to break in the bush.

My XT is at the bottom of this page - I ride it to the TT/XT500 muster every year and some years I'm the bloke who rides the longest distance.
http://www.keynetonmcc.asn.au/muster_pa ... er_10.html
I can claim the credit for instituting this award. Guys bring their bikes from all over the country. These are valuable machines these days, and they don't like to put commuter miles on their expensively restored bikes, so the award was for longest distance travelled, in any manner.
Then that year I road down in very unseasonably cold weather, to the point where I was damn near frozen. The muster is held 2/3 of the way through spring, so I was fully unprepared for the cold. I just about fell off the bike when I got there, couldn't even operate the clutch properly with my damaged left hand, and the commitee held a quick meeting and decided that the award should become for the longest distance ridden.

It's a 270 mile round trip, definitely far enough to ride one of these bikes in one day. If I had to do it on my DR650 with original seat, I reckon my arse would never feel anything ever again. :s_biggrin
Sadly, this year the guide plate on the kickstarter broke just as I was heading over to the petrol station to fuel up, the night before the muster. With not time and no parts I had to load the bike in the ute and truck it to the muster. First break down in 35 years - that's reliable.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 4:27 pm 
Single Tracker
Single Tracker

I had a XT550 that I rode quite a few years without any failures I didn't cause.
Brakes sucked, but suspension was decent for what it was.
The biggest problem I had was I wrecked it and broke the shifter shaft off.
I thought no big deal, pull the clutch cover and change it out. Except......
It used a 2 piece shaft, and I had to split the cases to change it. Thanks Yamaha.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 4:56 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

wotavidone wrote:
The XT550 is a different beast altogether, and us real TT/XT/SR 500 nuts here in OZ don't rate them and won't touch them.
Some of us found them a bit too easy to break in the bush.

Here the 550 has an underground cult status but not of the noblest kind (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meE9XEjSbkM).
From what my too young back then mind understands, it was the first real life DS bike to emerge in sales in the local market as the XT500 should have been considered too expensive vs a real big street bike.
Then came the 600s and the greek market was filled with one in every other corner - it was one of the hottest or THE hottest Yamaha XT market all over the world since the mid '90s.

40 GOTO 10

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 3:01 pm 

Just to add to a great collection of stories.
I mostly ride my old AJS and Matchless bikes here in France :old: , but decided I wanted something a bit more suited to the roads here. The roads are 'challenging' at times and softer suspension seemed a good idea and also some brute tourque. A pal suggested a Trans alp, KTM or similar. I looked at few different types and looked at a DR had a test ride and it felt 'right', so 'I bought it, it's a '91 leccy start 650, semi motard. I just love it, does what it says on the box and I even had a 600K run with my bust clavicle before the op and I found I was comfortable. Floats my boat! :drinks:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 3:59 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

It's a 270 mile round trip, definitely far enough to ride one of these bikes in one day. If I had to do it on my DR650 with original seat, I reckon my arse would never feel anything ever again. :s_biggrin
Aww come on , don't be so hard on the DR ! --- Just recently I made a ~ 600 mile- (~ 965 km-) roundtrip (in 1 day) and "survived" without any "lasting" after-effect . --- If an old-timer (78+) can do it (on a stock-seat) you "youngsters" shouldn't have ANY problems . --- Lmao .

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:30 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

saltbox alf wrote:
I just love it, does what it says on the box and I even had a 600K run with my bust clavicle before the op and I found I was comfortable. Floats my boat! :drinks:

Welcome!!
Great bike but be careful not to miss any maintenance schedule rendez-vous particularly with the twin chain driven balancer shaft system, even more if you tend to labor the engine (gear attaching wedges to the shafts may be getting hammered by the inertia of the laboring pulses due to weak gear suspending springs causing their failure wihout warning) . Search around the forum for the model's specifics e.g. http://drriders.com/topic16572.html.

It is a very reliable engine except for this system that must be inspected and upkept often (service manual too loose on the subject) as this is why not many '91-'95 models are still running around which is a pitty indeed.

40 GOTO 10

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:26 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Just about every bike I owned (which included a Kawasaki H1 triple) was out to kill me but boy did I have fun on those :s_biggrin

Haven't ridden very much at all in 10 years (low sided a VTR1000 on a cold tire in 09 that broke my collar bone) :crutch:

The DR-650 purchase was almost an "impulse buy". For a few years I was entertaining the idea of getting a used liquid cooled XR650R with a plate on it and didn't really know much about the DR nor did I consider one. For some reason one night late last October I read somewhere when someone mentioned the DR and I got curious and started investigating. The more I read about the Suzuki the less I thought about the Honda. After 2 nights of reading threads on this forum and others I was hooked, I poked around for a used DR and found a 2016 with 2200 miles on the clock and $1000 worth of upgrades on CL. 2 days later that bike was in my garage this whole thing happen in the span of less than a week!

At first I was kinda second guessing whether this was a good idea. This is my first dual-purpose bike and that it might not really do anything very well. But the more I rode it those concerns began to evaporate! My first jaunt up a corkscrew road I was tickled pink how well this thing handles on asphalt it is very light and agile. It cruises very well on the highway and is an absolute urban evasive attack vehicle here in Los Angeles. I also want to do a lot of trail riding and exploring and am setting it up for better dirt manners. It's got saddlebags, rack, heated grips (so will the seat soon), Seat Concept foam and cover, an 40FO pipe (love the mellow "thump"), RaceTech emulators and springs, Karoo 3 meats, Scotts steering damper, LED lighting, bash protection, USB charger, Renthal bars, chromoly wide pegs, an Acerbis 5.3 gal tank and soon an FCR carb all this in little over a month after buying it and I have already put 1000 (road) miles on it (dirt riding coming soon and may include a Death Valley ride).

This bike is a street, dirt, touring, commuter and cruiser all rolled into 1. Think about all the logistic and planning needed owning a pure dirt bike (truck, trailer, loading, unloading, fueling). None of that stuff is needed with this bike It's ready to go at a moments notice and will do just about anything asked of it. If you were to have one bike in your garage DR is it you couldn't pry this thing from my cold dead fingers! :dirol:

I ride to the Rock Store in Malibu occasionally and see quite a variety of bikes. Looking at those monster Adventure Bikes has me scratching my head. There is just way too much mass and bulk to those bikes I wouldn't want to ride one on anything more knarley then a dirt road to me they are look more like a tourer styled like a dirt bike the majority of them look like the blacktop is all they have ever known. The DR is more of a "I don't care where you ride me or what kind of weather" type of motorcycle. It's no RM or a Ducati but it always manages to put a smile on my face and do a variety of things few other bikes can. My second choice would have been a KLR but if that was the case I probably would not have bough one in the first place.

Funny thing is I always end-up owning motorcycles with "cult" status. To me "cult" bikes are the underdogs of the motorcycle world that some look down upon not being a BMW or a Ducati with fancy suspensions and powertrains then gets modded to the point of embarrassing machines much more costly and sophisticated (ususally that's mostly "rider" as lots of guys choose their bikes more as a fashion statement and don't want to scratch the fine finish doing something risky). I'll take a scappy DR over an poser bike any day. In the dirt the DR won't have a chance against a YZ or XRF but I will make for a nice lightweight Adventure Bike or a plush and heavy trail bike and is mod happy!

Of all the bikes I've owned over the years I think I'm going to have the most fun on this one :notworthy:

Latigo Cayon Rd. overlooking the cloud covered Pacific Ocean

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:41 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

sounds like love :2_thumbsup:

40 GOTO 10

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:26 am 
MSF Student
MSF Student

I had always wanted a DS so last summer I decided I was gonna get me one and started researching . I initially wanted a XR650L. But after looking at several and sitting on one (I'm 6' tall and I was on my tippies) I decided to keep researching. Then came the KLR650 and it didn't take long for me to decide the Kawasaki wasn't for me either. I didn't like all the plastic farings and liquid cooling. I also didn't want the hassle and rather expensive maintenance schedule of a KTM or Husky.

While mountain biking I ran into a guy on a DR650 and struck up a conversation. The more I stood there talking to him and looking at his DR the more I began to realize the DR was the bike for me. I started searching Craigslist and looked at several. I then located a lightly used 2015 with 1400 miles. When I say lightly used I mean It looked like it had never seen rain, much less a dirt road. The thing looked brand new off the dealer floor!!! I made the owner an offer and he wouldn't budge off the price so I went home empty handed and heart broken.

I then began to entertain the possibility of purchasing a new 2016. Went so far as going to my local dealer and worked up a fairly fair price. But after going home and sleeping on I decided I didn't want to spend that much money. I decided I would just get the used 2015...but the owner had taken the listing down and upon calling him he told me he had decided to keep it.

Well, a few months went by and one day in mid September on a whim I went go to Craigslist and low and behold, there is the like new 2015 listed again, and with a significant price drop. I call the guy up and go back to look at it. It was now showing 1900 miles but still looked brand new. I made the guy an offer and he took it and SHAZAM I was the owner of a like new 2015 Suzuki DR-650.

In the last 5 months I've since added quite a few farkles, as they're called on this wonderful site (DRRiders.com and ProCycle is our friend). The mods I've done are, rear fender eliminator kit with LED plate light, Moose Hand guards, Supermoto front fender, Seat Concepts seat, Ricochet skid plate, magnetic drain plug and filter ring, upper chain roller block off bolt, 14 tooth CS w/ProCycle retainer plate, and a few other nick knacks such as a motorcycle lift and some maintenance tools for the valve adjustments. I've made a good start and there are some things I'd like to do, (I've quickly realized it's going to be a never ending quest) but I'm going to give the mods a rest for a little while and just ride. The better half's patience is getting thin anyways.

All total including the price of the bike and mods I'm still $1200 under of the cost of a new DR. I've since put approximately 2000 miles on it and I'm convinced I made the right choice in getting a DR.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:27 am 

I had a 2005 model that didn't get used much. Didn't really know how great a bike it was, I was too busy working. The bike sat unused (bought off eBay of all places, but it was pristine). Sold it after a couple of years - and didn't miss it. I don't get attached to stuff, or even excited when something new shows up here. Just not my thing, it's just something I use until I don't need it anymore. So the 2005 and I parted amicably.

Fast forward to 2016. Wanted another dual sport. Wanted to work a LOT less too. So this time I did a TON of reading on what people liked, what worked, what didn't, what had to be fixed and so on, and on, and on. Made a "short list". Kept coming back to the DR because it kept ranking quite well for long-term ownership, reliability, simplicity, proven design, ease of upgrades, size, seat height, weight, etc.

Narrowed my list down but drooled over "Orange" a few times, even went and looked at some. But the threads online I read about "rebuilds" after just 100 or 200 hours didn't work for me. Why does a motorcycle require a rebuild after such a short time of use? I axed my list down to just one bike - the DR. And now I began to wonder why I got rid of the one I already had before.

So Craigslist and I took up a intense love affair after this online educational enlightenment to find another DR. There's a better tool called SearchTempest too. I found some DR's listed, but they were beat and well used and poorly taken care of.

I spotted one that was pretty nice, but too far away and too high in price. So I kept looking. But that nice bike stayed in the listings for months. And then the price came down (a lot), and by that time, I realized how great a deal it really was. Previously, I no idea what some stuff actually cost, but by then my understanding had grown.

I'd already missed out on a few other "deals" that were far away, so I jumped on this one quickly once the price was so affordable ($3800 / 2011). A few phone calls later and I was on my way to go get it. It was literally "perfect" with just 4000 miles on the odometer. Had the FMF header pipe, powerbomb, Q4 and jet kit, K&N filter and nothing else done to it. I thought I stole it, but the seller was anxious to buy a snowmobile. I didn't even ride it (but heard it run), just tied it down and left for home grinning all the way.

Brought it home and almost immediately started taking it apart (details in my introduction thread already posted). And then it snowed... and didn't stop (it snowed today for the umpteenth thousandth time). So no, I've not ridden it yet, just around the shop a little and once up and down the hill. Yep, it's a DR - with LOUSY stock suspension, but I had thoroughly educated myself on how to fix that problem.

So winter arrived, early and this DR got the wrenches (and me) out. It's got new forks, new triple clamps, new front 320mm rotor, new seat, new battery, new kickstand, and there's a FCR-MX carb sitting right here and I'm looking for a rear shock upgrade. There's a small pile of stock parts I'm debating keeping or selling. Might get another DR project going for my riding partner...

When did I find out it was a great machine? Last year, before I bought it. When I read every thread I could find on dual-sports. I am not a brand-conscious rider and could care less about things like that, but reputation, reliability, durability, adaptability and simplicity rank pretty high in my book. I ruled out every other bike and every other brand in the end and settled on the DR (including the KLR) because of all the great things I found out about this machine online. Now that another one is sitting in my garage, and I've already taken a wrench or two to the bike, I'm quite pleased.

My goal is a adventure bike that suits me (not what some corporation thinks is best). Something that I can get to know, repair, and ride without having legs like a stork. I have real beef with these companies that build these ridiculously high seats and skyjacker suspensions, and I don't buy into any of the arguments that "it's necessary" (which is total b.s.) because it isn't. It's a poor design in my book and puts the riders center of gravity too high (for an adventure bike - I'm not talking motocross and massive jumps here), while risking unnecessary tip-overs and difficulty controlling when slow speed / weighted machines. The complaints about this are innumerable. I suspect there is a huge market opportunity for bikes that actually FIT people (real people, not stick figures in a corporate boardroom).

So the DR is imminently "suitable" and can be made into nearly anything you might want (within reason) as an adventure bike or "dual-sport". The aftermarket has vastly improved since what I remember back in 2005 when I looked around (and didn't buy anything). And the hobbyist / enthusiast / tinkerers have made fantastic strides on tweaking the machine into some really cool bikes. Obviously, Suzuki got something right, it's just too bad that they left out some of the important parts in the stock machine. But their actually great deals, even when bought brand new and exception deals when bought used. So you can take a few dollars as your budget and interests allow and make them much better.

I'm old enough to know that you can ride virtually anything "anywhere" because that's what I use to do and what people have done all over and around the world. You don't need 12" of suspension either. Or 109 bhp. Or even six speeds or electronic fuel injection or a whole lot of other doodazzle hope-this-shit-doesn't break go-faster glitter. You need reliability. And all the other stuff I've mentioned. You can have tons of fun by going slow too. I've survived a horrific motorcycle wreck long ago and hey, not interested in any repeats anyway. But I ain't dead yet so I still intend to twist a throttle and eat a few bugs.

It's very obvious that the DR has attracted a huge fan base too. But it's an overlooked machine in many ways. That's ok, never was one for the crowd anyway. It's kinda cool to realize you know something most of the crowd doesn't seem to understand. Suzuki has yet to really promote the machine, but it's made its way on its own merits to the position it holds today with dual-sport riders and adventure riders, without a lot of advertising or hype. That tells me something. I see it as a great platform to enjoy as is or to modify to suit your own needs.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 310 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31  Next