www.DRRiders.com

A Dedicated Suzuki DR650 forum for DR650 riders to share their knowledge, experience and adventures!
It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:01 pm

DRRIDERS.COM Search - powered by Google

DRRIDERS Member Location Map

Place yourself on the map here!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 310 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31  Next

Did you:
Discover you'd bought a great bike after the fact 28%  28%  [ 103 ]
Determine the DR was the right bike before buying 72%  72%  [ 265 ]
Total votes : 368
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 12:31 pm 
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

Satori wrote:
"DS? I wasn't looking for a "dual sport" I was looking for an Enduro like a bunch a bikes I had back in the 70's and 80's.

That is where I was. My last bike was a '71 Suzuki TS250. After I totaled it, I didn't get another until last fall. I wanted a similar bike to ride around the back roads here in the Flint Hills of Kansas. I got a 2004 Kawasaki KLR250 which was a sweet little bike but my 65 yo body couldn't handle the tall seat/kick start the way my 20 yo self could. The DR650 looked ideal for me with the lowered suspension option so I kept looking until I found one. A few hundred miles in the saddle (it came with a Seat Concepts :good: ) confirmed my thoughts. The lower seat and electric start made a big difference plus the bike just fits me better overall. I've also found it is more stable on the loose gravel roads that make up the majority of my riding.
I need to change the suspension to fit my weight and I will have the perfect custom bike for me.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 4:56 pm 

Decided to buy a motorcycle, last summer, I knew I wanted a DS, but had a super tight budget. I ended up buying a 1975 CB360T from a buddy, had a blast on it but knew I still wanted a DS. I spent lots of time looking, initially thought KLR, then DRZ400, decided the DR650 would be a better commuter and better on the highway than the 400. I own a couple mountainbikes and do my single track riding on those. I'm looking forward to adventure riding with buddies next summer, a few back roads trips across the province, no shortage of logging roads in BC to link up. We will be a motley crew, 1 KTM EXC 350, Dakars 650GS, DRZ400, and myself on the DR650. Good times will be had.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:52 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Bash wrote:
I'm looking forward to adventure riding with buddies next summer, a few back roads trips across the province, no shortage of logging roads in BC to link up. We will be a motley crew, 1 KTM EXC 350, Dakars 650GS, DRZ400, and myself on the DR650. Good times will be had.

You will have an awesome time. :2_thumbsup:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 12:23 pm 

I knew I wanted a dual sport for my first bike, so I read up on them. Being a bigger guy, I wasn't sure that a 250 or 400 would be good for highway riding, so I looked at the DR650. Pretty much all my research led me to the DR. I bought a used one, and haven't looked back.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 2:28 pm 
MSF Student
MSF Student

I bought the DR mainly due to the fact my little XT250 is not suitable for the highways. I put 13,000 on the XT riding all over western Alberta and in the rocky mountains camping the first year I bought it. The DR650 is a bit heavier and a bit taller than the XT but has a way more power and load carrying ability. I had a XT500 years ago and I feel the DR is a better bike that the XT500.

All the other current dual sport bikes I looked at were either too tall, too heavy, fuel injected (I prefer carbs), watercooled, or retardedly expensive. The Beemers sound as reliable as the crappy cars they make, too many useless gadgets and electronic doo hickeys to break, plus they are heavy pigs.. The KLR was tall and heavy plus watercooled. The Honda was way too tall.

I think the Suzuki is perfect for what I need.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:37 am 

I rode a friends dual sport and was hooked, looked up reviews and found a 1998 DR650 with 2k miles and bought it for $2800 in year 2000. 120,000 miles later on two DR650's I guess I really got hooked. The DR makes you want to go down that road off the one you are on, its the explorers bike and it will go most places you want to go if you don't get in a hurry on single track. I drove my first one 50k miles and checked the valves every 5k. 50k was the first time I adjusted a valve and it was a very small amount, that is saying something for the way I rode it was very hard. That bike now has 80k on it. Needs a cylinder gasket but still runs. I have been riding with friends on sport bikes and drove my DR for extended periods at full throttle. With jet kit and airbox opened that is around 100 mph at 7k rpm. If you are doing 100 it doesn't slow down going up the hills much at all. Of course I was tucked to accomplish that with a ducati 916 windshield bolted on the stock headlight.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 11:34 pm 
MSF Student
MSF Student

I've always been partial to Suzuki ever since Roger DeCoster rode for them but I was still open to other manufacturers. I must have researched the internet for 20 hours on dual sport bikes, (where I found this site and joined before I bought my DR). Kawasaki is grand but heavy and lower powered, BMW's 70 mpg claim was impressive but the accessories aint cheap at the dealership, Yamaha has no DS 650, Honda is, well... OK. The Suzuki has some minor engineering problems but the accessories that are available from so many sources, holy cow! What's next, a titanium frame offering in the Neiman Marcus catalog? That told me there must be a cult following or they have outsold the other big three Japanese companies, both me thinks. I bought my 2013 in 2014, an new old stock bike for 5,540 plus the tribute to Caesar. A reasonable deal for such a fun bike made funerer with the TM40, complete FMF pipe, and a proper suspension & seat. I love the torque of this bike and I feel like I can go anywhere on it, even those place where you might say oh sheet, I shouldn't go there.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 3:32 am 

Last weekend, after only my third ride on it.
-Pros: cheap price I paid, bulletproof, easy to work on, torque, gearbox, ergos
-Cons: let me think for a sec..hmm, seat too hard?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 4:47 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Inverted Spin wrote:
I had a XT500 years ago and I feel the DR is a better bike that the XT500.

I currently own three 500 Yamahas. Lighter, more bottom end grunt, better seats, handle surprising well given the much less suspension travel and easier to throw around in the dirt. The DR wins on power and highway ability, and electric start is a bonus as I get older, but really its main attraction to me was that it is so much like the 500's. Not particularly better, just plain newer.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 7:06 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

500 ορ 550? A local guy had put some Porsche piston in his 550 and with the Ohlins upgraded cantilever suspension it was a sensation to try to keep up with in the twisties (this guy is a racing guru as well).

40 GOTO 10

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 310 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31  Next