www.DRRiders.com

A Dedicated Suzuki DR650 forum for DR650 riders to share their knowledge, experience and adventures!
It is currently Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:41 pm

DRRIDERS.COM Search - powered by Google

DRRIDERS Member Location Map

Place yourself on the map here!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Canadian Distributor
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:23 pm 
SuperMoto Dude
SuperMoto Dude

Hey guys. Here is a distributer that I got put onto by my local bike shop. He can order from them and their prices seem quite fair (although I have only looked at the tire section deeply).

http://www.importationsthibault.com/200 ... ?langue=en

Also, if you see something you like in here and can't meet a dealer that can order from these guys, let me know and I will go through the shop here and forward it on.

Post subject: Re: Canadian Distributor
PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:35 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

The guys that live south of The Border get way better selection, at way better prices than we do. Its tough because you want to try and keep the local shops going but I have trouble getting my head around paying extra for less selection.

These guys are really nice people and a little less than a hundred miles from me. I try and give them a shot at stuff I'm looking for but they're usually considerably more expensive than US pricing. The fact that I travel to PA, NY, OH and MI for work fairly often makes it so easy for me.

http://dualsportplus.com/

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:50 am 
SuperMoto Dude
SuperMoto Dude

I try to do the same, as much local as I can. But like you, I look at the prices south of the border. You are lucky that you can physically travel to the US, that way you don;t have to pay shipping and duty. Those are two things I always try to consider.

Plus for me I do't mind spending a little extra $$ at the shop as the owner is real nice, he will be there in a pinch if you need it. That means something to me as well. He just offered to do a discount for us if we get some tires together, so I got a buddy and we ordered 7 tires and he can give us around 15% off. It is nice to deal with guys like this.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:11 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

No duty on motorcycle stuff coming into Canada. I usually buy from US suppliers as they have what I need. I tried to purchase a new pair of riding pants from a local dealer last fall. Their price was fine, but they didn't have my waist size and also told me I couldn't get them in "tall". If I wanted to get the size I needed in "regular", then it would be a 4 month wait. I ordered them from New Enough in the tall size I wanted, it cost me a bit less even with shipping and I had them landed at my door in 7 days. I just ordered a new helmet from them and I saved a fair bit, got the size I wanted, and again 7 days to my door. I would like to support the local dealers, and would pay a bit more, but it comes down to who gives the best service and selection. To me that's more important.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:08 pm 
MSF Student
MSF Student

Yes, it can be a real PITA to get aftermarket parts and accessories, etc. into Canada. The best option, although not available to everyone, is to have the stuff shipped to freinds or realives who spend the wnter in the States. The snow birds usually get home by the end of March, just in time to deliver the parts for riding season. This cuts shipping rates down by 50% to 75%, saves 10% on taxes, $5 on postal fees and another 2.5% on currency exchange (and that is when the Canadian dollare is on par). I find you really have to watch because alot of places (even some of our favourite DR suppliers) stick us with a fair bit more that it actually costs them to ship the stuff to Canada.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:31 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Dealing with suppliers who ship USPS will save a sizeable amount on brokerage. Most that ship to Canada know this. There has been a lot of flack over the past few years regarding "brokerage" charges on international shipments with courier companies. Canada Post charges around $6 per shipment. I've had courier companies charge me between $40 to $50 for similar shipments. Not sure what's going on there. :s_dunno

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:54 pm 
SuperMoto Dude
SuperMoto Dude

Very true. I will request every time to use USPS, even if it is not listed as a shipping method. I have only been tagged with duty/tax a couple of times this way. And the brokerage fees are a joke. The first couple of times I ordered from the states I learned this. But some places will only ship via courier, such as Cabella's. You are kinda hooped then if that is the stuff you want.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 5:29 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

List of good Canadian Suppliers
Since there are no topics in the Canadian section so far. I thought I'd start a list of good online Canadian sites I have found for 09 after market parts and riding gear. I know there are lots of great sites out there, but you don't get ding exchange, duty, brokerages fee's or extra charges if you shop North of the 49th.

Some great sites I have used for the 09:

http://www.twistedthrottle.ca - out of Ontario, another good selection of DR stuff, free shipping on larger orders.

aviciouscycle.ca - is no longer, they have become Twisted Throttle Canada.

http://www.canadasmotorcycle.ca - out of Quebec, great site for motorcycle gear, free shipping on orders over $49

So if you have found any great Canadian site, please let us hear about them.

http://www.leatherup.ca/ - another one with good prices

Local Calgary shops that are great to deal with.

http://www.gwcycleworld.com/ - best place in Calgary for motorcycle gear and accessories

http://www.contisbikershop.com - very small local shop, great for leather gloves and leather gear or boot repairs

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:14 am 
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

Pete's Super Bike! I've used them for many different purchases. Tires, oils, etc. Have always been dealt with fairly and quickly!
Avicious Cycle now Twisted Throttle.ca has also been a great source as well. I have had Chris on the phone and he has said if it isn't on our web page just call and let me see if I can source the item for you! I have also found their pricing isn't necessarily a direct copy plus exchange from the US parent company? Good experience for me.