www.DRRiders.com

A Dedicated Suzuki DR650 forum for DR650 riders to share their knowledge, experience and adventures!
It is currently Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:04 am

DRRIDERS.COM Search - powered by Google

DRRIDERS Member Location Map

Place yourself on the map here!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:51 pm 
Single Tracker
Single Tracker

On a recent week-long trip to Death Valley I experienced a dragging clutch that made it hard to find neutral, hard to start in gear and hard to shift at low speeds in technical terrain. The latter being the worst part but it was also very inconvenient while waiting at traffic signals. I finished the trip just "dealing with it" and thinking that I had just warped some clutch plates. I tore into the bike and found something quite different. The thrust washer between the inner and outer clutch baskets was galled something fierce! I called up my buddy ProCycle and took the errant clutch parts down to his shop where we analyzed as much as we could. There is no doubt that the two thrust washers keeping the baskets separated had milled themselves down below their tolerances. Here are some pics.....

Attachment:
File comment: Clutch side with baskets off
1.JPG
1.JPG [ 137.57 KiB | Viewed 4178 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: Location of first washer. This one wasn't bad but still had some wear and it's thickness is important.
2.JPG
2.JPG [ 103.76 KiB | Viewed 4174 times ]
Attachment:
File comment: Bad on left, Good on right
2a.JPG
2a.JPG [ 94.85 KiB | Viewed 4174 times ]
Attachment:
File comment: Basket collar, the back of this was also galled but not bad. Replaced with "newer" one from old motor.
4.JPG
4.JPG [ 111.9 KiB | Viewed 4174 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: Bad left, Good right
4a.JPG
4a.JPG [ 80.31 KiB | Viewed 4174 times ]

Last edited by endoquest on Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:14 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Howd the clutch hub look? What gearing? Were you having to slip clutch alot? Mileage? Oil type? :s_dunno

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:16 pm 
Single Tracker
Single Tracker

Hold on Plonker, I'm still writing the second part. Held up by attachment police....

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:38 pm 
Single Tracker
Single Tracker

File comment: This is where there must be a .004-.006 difference to keep the baskets separated and the thrust washer separates the two. Hold on...... wait for it.......
5.JPG
5.JPG [ 102.26 KiB | Viewed 4164 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: Here is the new thrust washer and a .005 gauge. Hold on again..... wait for it......
6.JPG
6.JPG [ 85.72 KiB | Viewed 4164 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: This is the old biddy right here, two words for ya.. UG LY! It had worn down the tolerance allowed for the two baskets to rotate separately, creating the drag. Went 1400 miles with this.
5a.jpg
5a.jpg [ 182.22 KiB | Viewed 4164 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: Inner basket, keeper washer thingy, spring washer and nut. Once tightened down, the two baskets should spin independently without the plates in.
8.JPG
8.JPG [ 105.88 KiB | Viewed 4164 times ]

It was obvious to Jeff and I that this was the cause for the clutch drag. When I disassembled the clutch the two baskets were tight enough for me to spin the nut off without seizing both baskets. But why did the thrust washer spin in the first place? I noticed the drag after our first day on the trip. We took off from Tonopah in the morning and did a 30-mile stretch of pavement, pinned. I ran the bike full throttle for most of the way, it was a slight up hill with a head wind. The clutch was NOT slipping. As a matter of fact, the plates and frictions are perfectly fine. The only parts that are worn are the two washers and a little bit of the collar. Why were they spinning? Don't know. I guess that's why I'm here! Bring it on.

Last edited by endoquest on Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:47 pm 
Single Tracker
Single Tracker

Ok Plonks, there's the deal. Everything was normal except for the drag. I adjusted cable immediately but nothing happened, just more freeplay, that's how I knew it wasn't the plates. Gearing is stock, the bike is mildly farkled but nothing major. Oil is good, etc.

It just boils down to the thrust washer, but WHY the thrust washer? I'm scatching my helmet trying to figure it out. Cheers

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:50 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Basket collar incorrect length? 1st washer thinner than it should be? Is it possible the hub nut was over torqued? The suspense is killin me. :wacko: Whadya determine the cause to be? :drinks:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:36 pm 
DRRiders Technical Documentation Expert

Since Procycle is yer buddy, I got nothing. :dirol:
But while you have it apart, have him install that 900cc crank and big bore. :diablo:

Threewheelbonnie:
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -

My DR650 technical photos (but none of the cool stories that go with 'em), FEEL FREE TO COPY AND SHARE: http://er70s-2.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/Motorcycling

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:01 am 
Single Tracker
Single Tracker

ProCycle is a great friend of mine ER7 and we've had some epic, I mean truly EPIC rides together. This Death Valley ride topped them all despite the clutch problem. Just goes to show how durable the DR motor and chassis is. Cheers

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:23 am 
Single Tracker
Single Tracker

Hold on folks, just talked to "the Man". Further analysis might prove that the problem originates in the countershaft bearing/race.

Wait for it.......

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:29 am 
DRRiders Technical Documentation Expert

endoquest wrote:
ProCycle is a great friend of mine ER7 and we've had some epic, I mean truly EPIC rides together. This Death Valley ride topped them all despite the clutch problem. Just goes to show how durable the DR motor and chassis is. Cheers

That's very cool to hear, glad you made the best of it. :drinks:

Epic only happens a few lucky times. One of mine was with my Sister. We rode 1000 miles in a week on the jeep roads south and west of Green River, Utah (Moab, White Rim Trail and all of that Magic). There was very little backtracking and less pavement. I had no idea She could ride so fast or far. :bumps: It too, was EPIC.

Threewheelbonnie:
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -

My DR650 technical photos (but none of the cool stories that go with 'em), FEEL FREE TO COPY AND SHARE: http://er70s-2.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/Motorcycling

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next