www.DRRiders.com

A Dedicated Suzuki DR650 forum for DR650 riders to share their knowledge, experience and adventures!
It is currently Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:32 pm

DRRIDERS.COM Search - powered by Google

DRRIDERS Member Location Map

Place yourself on the map here!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please post a concise description of the product in the subject line so other members will have an easier time locating the info they seek. No Hijacking or off topic discussions will be allowed to keep the info short and to the point. All opinions are welcome from members having experience with the subject line product.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:09 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

I was placing an order for some misc parts on ProCycles website last week and ran across their new countershaft seal retainer.

http://procycle.us/bikepages/dr650.html#sealretainer

There have been several reports of countershaft seals popping out over the last few months...it's probably a very low percentage of bikes, but for $23 it's cheap insurance. I installed it last night so I thought I would post a quick review. My bike hasn't been cleaned in a while...so please excuse the mess.

Here's a picture of my countershaft seal with everything removed and cleaned (kind of...)

The countershaft seal retainer is held on by a bolt on the gear selector cover and a case bolt (both 8mm). The case bolt also secures a grounding ring and a metal wire retainer so don't forget to reinstall those. The mounting holes on the seal retainer lined up perfectly with the holes on the case so installation was a breeze. My only negative comment is that it's a little off center but considering the double bend in the mounting arms and the ease of installation, I can live with it. Here it is installed.

UPDATE: Several members have had trouble with the electrical ground that shares the upper right mounting hole with the seal retainer. The issue is that the engine case is painted so the electrical ground at this location should be in direct contact with the head of the bolt not against the engine. Basically the stack up should be bolt head, ground, wire retainer, seal retainer and finally the engine case.

Here's a picture with the sprocket reinstalled. You can see the upper mounting tab from the seal retainer in the upper right corner. Don't forget to add a dap of blue locktite to the three sprocket retaining bolts during reassembly.

As previously mentioned, the seal retainer has a double bend in each of the mounting arms. The reason for the bend is so it can be mounted flush against the mounting holes and also not be hit by the sprocket/chain. After all the important parts were reinstalled, I snapped a few pictures of the top and bottom to see how much space was available...seems like plenty to me. You can also see from these pictures how tightly the retainer presses against the seal.

Top Mount:

Bottom Mount:

If you're using a C-clip to retain your countershaft sprocket (instead of the factory plate and bolts), then the sprocket is just going to float on the shaft. That being the case, you might have some interference issues with the seal retainer. I don't think many people are doing this, but I suppose you could use a plastic bushing to prevent the sprocket from getting too close to the seal retainer.

All buttoned up with the plastic cover reinstalled.

Overall, I'm very pleased with the quality of the part. :good:

'65 Honda CB160
'06 Honda CRF50F

Last edited by RamMan4x4 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:30 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:44 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Nice write-up review!
Thanks for sharing :good:

Ordeal and Adventure

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:26 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

I'd like to see a straight on shot with the sprocket and stock retainer on.
And ... does the stock plastic CS cover bolt back on there? Does it share bolts with the retainer?

I like the design of the retainer A LOT ... simple, elegant, smart.

No offense to our brilliant Berg Donk ... but the Pro Cycle one is better. But credit to him for
bringing this up and coming up with a 1st gen solution. I may have to spring for one of these gadgets ... for the "just in case" parts bin to go along with my spare forks, wheels, stator, calipers, switches ... damn, wish I never sold off that spare CDI unit. (cheap!)

Cheers! :drinks:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:01 am 
MSF Student
MSF Student

I was getting ready to order a 14 tooth cs and 3 hole retainer, after reading this I might have to grab that thing as well. Thanks for the write up!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:59 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

DR Grifter wrote:
And ... does the stock plastic CS cover bolt back on there? Does it share bolts with the retainer?

I need to know this as well... before I order one. Does the cover fit back on?

21 years retired Army - Seen EVERYTHING - Done ALMOST Everything... Ooorah!

2012 DR650SE
2015 Honda F6B

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:51 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

willtill wrote:
DR Grifter wrote:

It does not share any mounting holes with the plastic cover so, yes the stock cover does bolt back on.

'65 Honda CB160
'06 Honda CRF50F

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:25 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

RamMan4x4 wrote:
willtill wrote:
DR Grifter wrote:

It does not share any mounting holes with the plastic cover so, yes the stock cover does bolt back on.

Perfect! Thank you. I'm ordering one right now. :good:

21 years retired Army - Seen EVERYTHING - Done ALMOST Everything... Ooorah!

2012 DR650SE
2015 Honda F6B

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:53 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

RamMan4x4, looks the part and should work as advertised. I'm curious where the seal is/was in relation to the cases. Mine was/is at the base of the bevel in the housing, which is about 1 mm below the face of the case. In the pic, it looks like yours is more or less flush with the case. I've heard that they can be anywhere between the two positions. Any further in though and they could interact with the cs bearing and not be fully held by friction either. There is no lip behind the seal to square it up and stop it going further into the case. If its not at the base of the bevel, its not fully held in the case.

I guess if you wanted to have it concentric, maybe you could get a small file and slot the mounting holes a bit, but it wan't change how it works, and its all hidden afterwards, so its only you, and now all of us, that'll know.

Cheap insurance, and I reckon everyone should have one, and I'm really pleased PC are selling these.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:57 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

DR Grifter wrote:
No offense to our brilliant Berg Donk ... but the Pro Cycle one is better. But credit to him for
bringing this up and coming up with a 1st gen solution. I may have to spring for one of these gadgets ... for the "just in case" parts bin to go along with my spare forks, wheels, stator, calipers, switches ... damn, wish I never sold off that spare CDI unit. (cheap!)

Certainly does the job, and better too perhaps. When you get one, don't put it in the parts bin waiting for the seal to blow though, fit it to the bike ASAP so it doesn't blow.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:42 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

BergDonk wrote:
RamMan4x4, looks the part and should work as advertised. I'm curious where the seal is/was in relation to the cases. Mine was/is at the base of the bevel in the housing, which is about 1 mm below the face of the case. In the pic, it looks like yours is more or less flush with the case. I've heard that they can be anywhere between the two positions. Any further in though and they could interact with the cs bearing and not be fully held by friction either. There is no lip behind the seal to square it up and stop it going further into the case. If its not at the base of the bevel, its not fully held in the case.

I want to say that I remember it being flush with the case, though I don't remember exactly. Even so, I'm OK with it losing the bit of friction provided by the depth of the bevel. I haven't looked at all of the failed seal reports, but the trend indicates that it is primarily a problem on newer machines. There are several cases of older machines with similar problems, but those seem to be related to oil overfill. I doubt I would ever have an issue with it on my machine but I have found myself checking for leaks at stop lights lately...now I don't have too. :biggrin:

BergDonk wrote:
I guess if you wanted to have it concentric, maybe you could get a small file and slot the mounting holes a bit, but it wan't change how it works, and its all hidden afterwards, so its only you, and now all of us, that'll know.

HAHAHA...I think I'll just leave it as is. It was just a bit of a surprise to me because it lined up so well with the mounting holes, I assumed it would be very close to concentric. As you mentioned it doesn't change how it works.

BergDonk wrote:
Cheap insurance, and I reckon everyone should have one, and I'm really pleased PC are selling these.

Wiser words are seldom spoken. :drinks:

'65 Honda CB160
'06 Honda CRF50F