www.DRRiders.com

A Dedicated Suzuki DR650 forum for DR650 riders to share their knowledge, experience and adventures!
It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:35 am

DRRIDERS.COM Search - powered by Google

DRRIDERS Member Location Map

Place yourself on the map here!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please post a concise description of the product in the subject line so other members will have an easier time locating the info they seek. No Hijacking or off topic discussions will be allowed to keep the info short and to the point. All opinions are welcome from members having experience with the subject line product.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:20 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

DR Grifter wrote:
I'd like to see a straight on shot with the sprocket and stock retainer on.
And ... does the stock plastic CS cover bolt back on there? Does it share bolts with the retainer?

I updated the original post with a picture of the sprocket and stock sprocket retainer reinstalled. I also added a picture of the plastic CS cover reinstalled since there were so many questions about it.

'65 Honda CB160
'06 Honda CRF50F

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:53 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Thanks! Looks like a worthwhile project!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:06 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

I won't speak for anyone else on this issue, But Let me assure you that If or WHEN the C.S. seal lets go ( as both My '98 & 06 have done ) you will not have to be looking for oil dripping :nea: The Seal let go at Highway speeds and marinated My left boot on hot oil on the '98.....on the 06 it just was started on the side stand, and the oil just ran out like a faucet...for about 3 seconds.. or 1 pint..
So I purchased a BergDonk retainer, and now I don't feel like I'm playing "Retainer Roulette" when I'm riding the DR..
It's Cheap Insurance whether yours is leaking or not....... JMHO...Jax

2006 DR650 Shinko E705's, SuperBrite led's, Procycle 520 conversion,
support a fellow rider W/ Rack Systems by a Rider for Riders : http://www.moto-racks.com

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:37 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Chit... make me NOT to run my DR now until I get the retainer installed. :s_omg

I rate this CS seal failure in the same category; as the NSU fix.

21 years retired Army - Seen EVERYTHING - Done ALMOST Everything... Ooorah!

2012 DR650SE
2015 Honda F6B

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:09 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

VtStrom wrote:
I won't speak for anyone else on this issue, But Let me assure you that If or WHEN the C.S. seal lets go ( as both My '98 & 06 have done ) you will not have to be looking for oil dripping :nea: The Seal let go at Highway speeds and marinated My left boot on hot oil on the '98.....on the 06 it just was started on the side stand, and the oil just ran out like a faucet...for about 3 seconds.. or 1 pint..
So I purchased a BergDonk retainer, and now I don't feel like I'm playing "Retainer Roulette" when I'm riding the DR..

Besides the Aussies ... how many seals have popped out? Anybody keeping track of this?
"Retainer Roulette" sounds like hysterical hyperbole to me. I've ridden with lots of other DR riders ... never once heard of this happening to anyone. I have read a few reports on ADV ... but not many.

I meet so many riders who do such stupid things with their bikes ... that I really wonder if we get the whole story on this. I'm talking about guys with years of experience doing really dumb things ... like running 50 wt. oil or additives, or revving the be-Jessus out of the bike on a sub freezing morning ... and a hundred other things from not understanding how to adjust a chain, to dangerous tires, to not knowing how to set up bars, grips and controls and suspension, to not seeing obvious fuel or oil leaks ... right in front of their noses.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:27 pm 
SuperMoto Dude
SuperMoto Dude

+1. I wonder about that also Grifter. I'm sure they sometimes let go, my '03 with 38k never blew. And I'm sure you have seen more people that know how to abuse a bike than I have...and I've seen quite a few. Out of 2500 or so DR riders on this forum, I wonder what the percentage is. You'll never hear about the ones that don't have a problem.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:38 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

I'm here to help!
..a

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:16 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

VtStrom wrote:

Thanks for the input. It's interesting that it happened to you on your '98. The number or reports really seemed to pick up with the 2012 models but I guess we really don't know for sure. To me it's like the NSU screw fix...you know it's a potential problem and the fix definitely won't break the bank so why not have one less thing to worry about...

'65 Honda CB160
'06 Honda CRF50F

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:08 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

RamMan4x4 wrote:
VtStrom wrote:

Thanks for the input. It's interesting that it happened to you on your '98. The number or reports really seemed to pick up with the 2012 models but I guess we really don't know for sure. To me it's like the NSU screw fix...you know it's a potential problem and the fix definitely won't break the bank so why not have one less thing to worry about...

Agree. Once the retainer is installed; it'll be a forgotten issue for me. :good:

21 years retired Army - Seen EVERYTHING - Done ALMOST Everything... Ooorah!

2012 DR650SE
2015 Honda F6B

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:31 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Updated the first post to include the proper stack up for the ground that shares the upper right mounting bolt with the seal retainer.

'65 Honda CB160
'06 Honda CRF50F