www.DRRiders.com

A Dedicated Suzuki DR650 forum for DR650 riders to share their knowledge, experience and adventures!
It is currently Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:22 am

DRRIDERS.COM Search - powered by Google

DRRIDERS Member Location Map

Place yourself on the map here!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:17 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

walesy wrote:
You should head over to mid wales, some nice roads near llandovery. The roads in france get better the further south you go.

I just missed doing a Dual Sport rally in Scotland with a buddy. Next time. I was in the UK in Spring on both trips ... crap weather up North so I headed to the Ferry! I hear Wales is fantastic riding. (a rock climber friend is from there)

I rode all over South of France. Love it. I hear the Police now have adapted a very stern attitude towards Brit motorcyclists. My Tiger was bought in the UK ... but the Gendarme treated me nice back then. Now? Dunno! Those French cops can RIDE! (The London guys aren't bad either!)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:22 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Yep you get caught speeding they will march you to a cashpoint to pay an instant fine. You can't pay-they take your bike and passport. Also speed camera alerts have to be turned OFF on satnavs. Just don't speed in/near villages.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 1:16 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

'scuse me for raising the dead - but stumbled upon this thread, and WOW! Great pics, great adventures, etc. :friends:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 2:47 am 
Single Tracker
Single Tracker

Thanks for raising the dead !
First time ive seen this thread....great read & photo's!!!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 6:49 am 
Member Servant
Member Servant

It is an epic pictorial for the Adventure Addicts forum that everyone would enjoy.... I should have made this a sticky long ago. :s_yes

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 7:48 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Yeah, what Pete said!
It`s gonna take me some time to read through, but I`m looking forward to it :lurk:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:49 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Tombo wrote:
'scuse me for raising the dead - but stumbled upon this thread, and WOW! Great pics, great adventures, etc. :friends:

Hey! I'm not DEAD YET!
Pistolpete wrote:
Thanks for raising the dead !
First time ive seen this thread....great read & photo's!!!

mxrob wrote:
It is an epic pictorial for the Adventure Addicts forum that everyone would enjoy.... I should have made this a sticky long ago. :s_yes

bdesj wrote:
Yeah, what Pete said!
It`s gonna take me some time to read through, but I`m looking forward to it :lurk:

Thanks all. You guys are too kind! :notworthy:
I've not written much about the various rides ... but there are stories connected to all of them.

Most are with the former AYU (as yet unnamed) MC group I rode with and go back to around 2003 or so. The EU stuff was before that and trips out to Colorado, Utah and Baja were mostly solo affairs or with just one or two other riders.

I've dozens more pic folders documenting our rides going way back to 2003 ... but here you guys see most of the best.
We did a series of rides that repeated most years ... it kind of went like this:
Death Valley-Sierra ride, Bridgeport-Bodie-Sierra ride, Oregon Shakespeare festival ride, Mendecino Six Rivers ride, Pismo-Carrizo plain ride, North Coast Trinity Alps ride, Baja or Mexico ride in the mix too some years.

The Death valley rides were done twice a year, different routes each time. Same with Carrizo plain, dirt and street versions, variety of routes. Usually worked out to roughly one ride per month, riding 10 months out of the year.

Thanks! :drinks:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 10:17 pm 
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

Inspires me to get back home in Panama, the adventures in the sw of USA are awesome and I hope to get there but I have little to do in Panama except ride and tinker, gathering needed items, Thank you Rob, and won't be back soon enough but have a little more work to finish. Thanks for raising the dead. I have registered with HUbb to meet/ help over landers & spent some time w/ tres amigo- all DR s, members here but they're back to U.S. Reality after a 6 month adventure from San Diego to the Darien and back.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 11:35 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

:2_thumbsup:
I'm sure if you're reading HUBB you've seen the current issues travelers are having passing the Darien. The hot setup would be an "agent" ... who speaks perfect English/Spanish to find good alternatives to get to Colombia. The recent Ferry ran a few months but is now gone, another one has cropped up but is expensive. I've no idea if another Ferry company will re-appear??

The Stahlrate (Steel Rat) is around, along with a couple other boats, but it's all a bit mysterious and unorganized. Little sure info available and no one coordinating it all ... so difficult for non native travelers.

Seems to me, most travelers would happily pay an Agent a small fee for good, current info on where and who to contact, price, schedules. Same goes with flying over. It's a bit of a ordeal to navigate through all the airline and Aduana hurdles. An Agent could help with that too ... kinda grease the skids, take them through the process. Far as I know, NO ONE is currently offering this type of service.

Seems every week there are travelers looking to cross from Panama to Colombia with their bikes. Plenty of traffic Northbound as well. All have the same questions. Most end up flying and spending a LOT to make the 20 minute flight.

Anyway, just a thought.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 1:11 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Seriously Grifter, you should write a book.

:notworthy: :Roost: <-- DR Grifter

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next