www.DRRiders.com

A Dedicated Suzuki DR650 forum for DR650 riders to share their knowledge, experience and adventures!
It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:18 pm

DRRIDERS.COM Search - powered by Google

DRRIDERS Member Location Map

Place yourself on the map here!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

1. Vendors please adhere to our std forum rules.
2. Please keep all business related advertising in this section.
3. Links back to this section will be allowed as appropriate in other sections.
4. Please use this section for vendor/member feedback.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 159 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16  Next
 Post subject: Seat Concepts
PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:54 pm 
Member Servant
Member Servant

I haven't heard one bad review. The kit comes with new foam and seat cover.
The foam is shaped like what you see on a Corbin or Sargent. The trick is that you either need to recover it yourself or take it to an upholstery shop and they should do it for about $20.
We have a pretty good video link posted in the Technical Tips section that shows how to do it yourself: topic587.html

And I really enjoyed this rider's spoken review while he is riding:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:16 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

I have the SC and the PO on my son's DR put a Corbin on it. I've ridden both and for me, the SC is a better DS seat as it's not as drastic of a change as the Corbin. Meaning the flare out is a little further back on the SC, allowing for movement. I find the Corbin takes up a little inseam as it flares earlier...resulting in what feels like a 1/2 inch seat height addition. Both are great seats (the Corbin is much better than what they made for the Strom - which I sent back to them) so it's just a personal choice. I think the SC is a great DS seat and very comfortable. The Corbin may be my choice if I was doing mostly road riding without a bunch of moving around as it has some side bolstering.

Of course, the budget dictates, too.

I know I've posted this before, but now that this is a dedicated SC buy thread...... http://www.advrider.com/forums/showpost ... ount=38865

2007 WR450

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:52 pm 
Member Servant
Member Servant

I bit the bullet today and ordered the Seat Concepts. I went with the all carbon fiber because I like to slide for to aft in the twisties to keep the weight were it needs to be.
Don't forget to add into the comments on PayPal that you are a DRRiders member and get the free shipping.
Also, PayPal offered me the option of connecting my BillMeLater account to PayPal. They offered me $10 as long as I pay it off by Sept. I will pay it off as soon as I get the bill. But that saves me another $10. WooHoo! Looking forward to the new seat foam. :biggrin:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:16 pm 
Single Tracker
Single Tracker

First post so greetings everyone. Just want to add my two thumbs up for the SC seat. I installed mine in the fall and the first ride was 220+ off road which took about 8 hours. All of the orange and blue bike guys were looking very saddle sore, but I was good for some more miles. The SC is fantastic.

My current config. Have a super motard wheel setup ordered.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:31 pm 
Member Servant
Member Servant

Welcome chipwich! :howdy: Thanks for the SC seat report. It looks nice on your bike. :good:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:28 am 
SuperMoto Dude
SuperMoto Dude

Well thanks guys. Now I'm thinking about one of these seats. They look nice and I think the price is fair. Hopefully, if the weather cooperates I'll hear some more reports on the seat.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:41 pm 
Single Tracker
Single Tracker

Some more comments on the seat, and no I don't have an affiliation with SC. It's just the best seat that I've ever had for a dirt, or street bike for that matter.

The install was a _lot_ easier than I expected. This is how I did mine.

1. Clean the new foam with soapy water. It comes with some sort of oily residue that cleaned off fairly easily.
2. Set both the cover and the now wet foam in the sun to dry. This will make the cover really easy to form around the seat.
3. I used a flat head screw driver to remove the old cover and foam. If you have a fancy staple remover, I suppose that would work too.
4. When the foam dried, I used some Gorilla glue (must have in your toolbox) to glue the nose and tail of the new foam to the base. Don't need to do this in the middle, as this is only to hold it in place while you staple. Let dry for an hour.
5. Staple on the new cover. For me the tail was the most challenging, so you might want to start at the nose first to get the hang of things. If you make a mistake, no big deal. Just pry out the mistake with a flat head screwdriver and re-staple. Check your work from time to time to make sure that you are still lined up. Really it is easy and you will be surprised how well the cover fits over the foam and base.

****IMPORTANT****
My only problem came from over-driving the staples with my pneumatic staple gun. I would suggest starting at the lowest pressure setting that your gun will handle, or use an electric one. The reason is that it will drive the staples all the way through the cover leaving a slit the shape of the staple. I only did this a few times before I realized what was happening so not a major problem. Just trying to save y'all some grief. I found a setting that was just hard enough to drive the staples, but not blast all the way through the cover.

Hope this helps. :drinks:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:20 am 
SuperMoto Dude
SuperMoto Dude

Thanks chipwich. Looks like the days are numbered for my gel seat :grin:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:14 pm 

Thanks, you guys, for the footwork. I may be ordering one soon.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:33 pm 

Kudos to Trophyhunter for organizing the free shipping deal ... even if I did miss out on it! I got my seat about 6 weeks ago. The foam and cover are high quality, the install was dead easy, and it would be hard to overstate the new comfort factor. I took my first longish ride with the new saddle today, about 4 hours, without a hint of discomfort. What a far cry from the factory brick! I highly recommend it. :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 159 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16  Next