www.DRRiders.com

A Dedicated Suzuki DR650 forum for DR650 riders to share their knowledge, experience and adventures!
It is currently Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:49 pm

DRRIDERS.COM Search - powered by Google

DRRIDERS Member Location Map

Place yourself on the map here!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:34 am 
MSF Student
MSF Student

I received the much-anticipated white Acerbis tank for my '04 a couple weeks ago, and decided to take a few pics along the way. It's mostly a very straightforward installation, but there are one or two curve balls, depending on your bike's level of farkle-dom.

I'd ordered the blue tank from JustGasTanks.com, but it was on a real slow boat from Acerbis, so after a few weeks of continued delay (not the fault of JustGasTanks) when they said they had white tanks available for immediate shipping, I jumped on it so I could get it installed before this past weekend's ride. It arrived in good shape, boxed and bagged, with all the brackets/petcock/vent line etc. nicely packed:

I stuck the DR up on the scissors stand, removed side plastics and seat...

... disconnected the fuel and vacuum lines from the carb and fuel tap...

... and drained the last few pints or so out of the tank before removal:

After removing the two rear retaining screws, I slid the tank back off the front rubber pucks and the tank was free:

The plastic shield that mounts in front of the tank had to be removed; just so I wouldn't lose them, I threaded the bolts into their original holes with some LocTite-- you never know if those might come in handy some day on the road:

One small issue with the Acerbis tank is that, while the included metal T-shaped seat retaining bracket will work fine on the stock OEM seat pan...

... I have a Sargent seat, which my hind-parts and I are very fond of, and the socket on the bottom of its pan, which fits the stock tank just fine, is a little too narrow for the Acerbis bracket width:

I was ready for it though, since someone had alluded to it in an earlier post. I pulled out the trusty 30 year old Dremel Moto-Tool, mounted up the thin carbide cut-off disk...

... chucked the bracket in the vice, cut ~1/16", widthwise, off of each edge...

... dressed the cuts up with a few strokes of a file...

... and voila, just what the Doc ordered!

Inside the tank was a very small amount of manufacturing stuff in the bottom, so I used a big bottle brush, and the compressor blowgun to get out what there was of it:

There weren't any rubber washers to go between the rear tank mounting holes and the frame bracket it sits on (probably not needed, but the OEM grommets have some rubber between), so being weird about these things, I rummaged through a blister pack of plumbing washers I had laying around, and found a couple perfectly sized candidates:

And on with the tank...

I decided to use the fuel tap that Acerbis had included, rather than mod the tank to fit the OEM vacuum fuel tap (running out of time, and not the biggest fan of vacuum-operated petcocks-- just personal preference though). I did check the little filter capsule in the carb fuel inlet to make sure it was clean-- it was-- and used one of the clear plastic, bronze element inline fuel filters. The inlet on my carb points nearly straight up, and the fuel line install would have been easier if it was pointing more forward, as others have mentioned. A straight downhill run from tap to carb would be preferable than the potential air bubble trap at the top of the loop, but luckily so far, I've encountered no problems:

If anyone knows a safe way to re-orient the inlet pipe without risking leaks or kinks in the pipe, please let us know. I'm too skeered to try it :nea: .

As everyone probably knows, the front turn signals will contact the front corners of the tank when turned full lock left and right. ProCycle sells some really nice looking brackets to offset the TS stalks forward just a bit. Other posts have suggested inverting and switching the OEM brackets, though when I tried that, I had clearance problems with the handguards. As a precaution, I'd gotten a pair of flat metal angle braces the last time I was at Lowe's...

... for ~$3, which would provide enough metal for 4 brackets. Also needed were a pair of 10mmX25mm long (or 3/8"X1" long) machine screws and nuts w/ flat and lock washers. After marking one leg of the bracket for length and where the offset bends would be, I chucked them in the vise...

... revved up the Dremel with the carbide cut-off disk again, and cut the straps into 2 lengths. I bought this specific size because, in addition to being about the right width and length, the existing holes were pretty much exactly where they needed to be, only needing to be enlarged to 7/16" using a step-drill:

Then it was just a matter of putting each strap in the vise down to the bend line, tapping it over with a hammer and punch, then reversing the process to get the opposite bend:

Looks like this might just work:

Success!:

If I'd had more time, I would have rounded the corners to make them look prettier, and probably spray-bombed them, but this was finished up the night before I was to leave, so I was certainly keeping my fingers crossed that I hadn't screwed something up. I think the tank looks great...

... particularly with the soft luggage all packed and ready to go the next morning.

Hope this little pic-torial helps someone along the way.

Bryan

'04 KTM 625SMC

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:38 pm 
Member Servant
Member Servant

Excellent tutorial, thanks! Definitely worthy of the "How To" section. :s_thumbsup

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:24 am 

NICE! I think I'll be going by walmart again to see if I can get a long brush. I don't have a air compressor. I might use water and let it set to dry.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:45 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

What what I did with my IMS,wash it out with the garden hose.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:01 pm 
Member Servant
Member Servant

DustDevil wrote:
Excellent tutorial, thanks! Definitely worthy of the "How To" section. :s_thumbsup

+2 Nice walk through Bryan!.... :clapping:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:07 pm 
MSF Student
MSF Student

This is perfect.. and timely! My (black) tank arrived just this week. Although it's -31 celsius out with a heavy snowfall warning... and my garage isn't heated, I'm definitely subscribing to this thread and will refer to it in warmer weather.

Don't suppose you will upgrade your suspension soon? I'll be ordering new front and rear suspension this week (from ProCycle). I'd sure love another pic tutorial :good:

Thank you very much.

Phloid

edit: doh.... I just realized your original post is from 2012

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:49 pm 
MSF Student
MSF Student

I just got my new acerbis tank. Thanks for your post,
good info and pics

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:34 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Just got my new tank fro PC Thursday, thanks for taking the time to post and pic. :good:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:46 pm 
MSF Student
MSF Student

Thanks for the very helpful pictorial. Installing my new tank right now.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:35 pm 
Single Tracker
Single Tracker

I rinsed by new tank with a bit of gasoline and that did the trick. I have the funky bend to the inlet pipe but no issues with well over 3000 miles now using the tank. Very pleased and probably the second best upgrade next to the Seat Concepts seat. My KLR and Vstrom friends no longer have to worry about where I'm at for gas. I just point down the road and say "Keep going!"

Scott
'12 DR650