www.DRRiders.com

A Dedicated Suzuki DR650 forum for DR650 riders to share their knowledge, experience and adventures!
It is currently Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:13 am

DRRIDERS.COM Search - powered by Google

DRRIDERS Member Location Map

Place yourself on the map here!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:05 am 
SuperMoto Dude
SuperMoto Dude

Nice write up.
After my skid plate, that's next on my list :bumps:

upper chain roller,clutch,side stand switches=removed,Craftsman $10 tool box,$10 eBay tachometer,NSU mod,raised needle, de-snorkled, Scaggs Rack,Ricochet skid plate,homemade 6061 peg lowerers,14T c/s,Garmin 60csx GPS,Moose Handguards,DRZ 250 footpegs,ProCycle seat,mid-pipe,engine armor,DR250 taillight,GSXR600 muffler,ProTaper CR1 1/8 bars, Acerbis 5.3,Dunlop 606 rear, IRC TR-8 front, Countershaft seal retainer, carb mounted choke knob.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 12:30 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

I just installed one today, and was glad to have read beforehand what I would be up against. Boy, what a hassle just moving the stinking turn signals a little bit! I made some offset brackets a few days ago, but didn`t end up using them.

When it came time to do the signals , I was REALLY hoping that I could just flip the original brackets so as to avoid having to pull the wires trhough the hole. I ran into the same issue as the OP in that I would have had interference with my handguard mounts if I had done it like that. Wires must go through hole : ( Removed the headlight shroud, then the headlight itself to see where the wires routed and I have to confess that, while I wanted to "do it right", I wasn`t about to split the loom and then chase the danged wires all the way back to wherever they go after they disappear from view, so I clipped them and installed insulated spade clips :blush: . Well, on the bright side, if I ever break a front signal, I`ll be able to just crimp a pair of new spade clips on the replacement and not feel bad about it at that time. What I ended up doing to relocate was cut the anti-rotation tabs from the stock mounts to swing them forward slightly and file out the flats in the signal mounting hole to roud so that I could rotate the signals back to level. Had to do each side at a slightly different angle because the brake line keeper was in the way on one side and the signal/neutral/high beam indicator block was in the way on the other side. It isn`t at all noticeable without intense scrutiny, so I don`t feel anywhere near as schmucky about the different angles as I feel about the spade clips.

Once it was all mounted and hooked up, I gave it one premeasured gallon of gas and marked the level with a permanent marker on one side of the tank. From there, I drove straight to the gas station- 4.1 miles from home, and I had to switch to reserve two blocks shy, so I know reserve is pretty danged close to a gallon. Filling the tank, I stopped at each gallon to make more index marks on the side (don`t know whether they`ll stay or melt away), then stopped at 5.3g and marked a "fill to" ring because I track my mileage and like to fill to the same level each time. Even the brand new mark isn`t very easy to see, but the best solution I can come up with.

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 3:53 pm 
Single Tracker
Single Tracker

Here is my 90 degree inline filter that takes the crappy kinks out of the fuel line.
Well worth the $5 ( from Procycle I seem to remember )

2009 DR - Intiminators, prog springs, DRZ shock with a Summit racing 450lb QA-1 spring, Vibranators,
Oxford grips, IMS, Corbin, 1520 bags, ScreensForBikes . . . it's only money eh ?

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 4:07 pm 
MSF Student
MSF Student

Thanks for instructional. I am preparing to put same tank on mine.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:29 pm 

My 6.6 showed up on the doorstep today. My new (to me) DR will henceforth be known as the Suzuki Valdeez.

Thanks for the write-up! This sort of thing really helps the ham handed mechanic in me.

Having a heart at peace, pure, contained, awake and blameless, distinguishes a Wayfarer...
Dhammapada v. 142

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:12 pm 

Nice tutorial!
I'm thinking to buy the 6.6 gallon Acerbis tank. Do you guys know if it's possible to use the OEM fuel petcock?
Does this tank have the vent hose for the California compliant DRs?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:24 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

passator cortese wrote:
I'm thinking to buy the 6.6 gallon Acerbis tank. Do you guys know if it's possible to use the OEM fuel petcock?
Does this tank have the vent hose for the California compliant DRs?
Pretty sure no after market tanks have the CA venting system. My bike was definitely a CA model, but I stripped most of that stuff off and really don`t remember very well how it originally was, so excuse my foggy memory, but I did not have any trouble with the plumbing when I put the after market tank on.

Think hard about it before installing that giant tank. Some people have them and love them, but even the 5.3 gets in the way for me. Think about how much range you really need and what kind of riding you plan on (paved and graded gravel, the big tank does not interfere) and maybe you will decide that bigger is better. Personally, I kind of wish I had gone with the Clarke 4 Gal model.

Can`t tell you from personal experience about stock petcock on Acerbis tank, but I think people have installed them on the 5.3s. Seems like you have to egg out the hole or something.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:02 pm 

I'm new in the offroad/atv motorcycling and I ran out of gas during my first trip in the middle of nowhere and that's not funny at all, that's why I'm in the market for a bigger tank. Maybe you're right a 5.3 gallon is big enough, I like the Clarke because according to their website you don't need to switch the fuel petcock and (I suppose) don't need to relocate the turn signal.

Any problems with plastic tanks and the ethanol in the fuel? (I'm in CA)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:58 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

I can understand your eagerness for more gas- I have never run out before with any vehicle (jinx alert), but I bet it sucks! What kind of MPG are you getting? I seem to get more than just about anybody else, so over 300 miles on my big tank. Some guys are only getting in the 40s (MPG). If that`s all I got, I`d need every bit of that big honkin' tank on some western routes. As long as I get a safe 200 miles, I`m happy- more still means less frequent fill ups, but with a price.

I have never heard of ethanol causing problems with the tanks themselves, but rubber bits (o-rings and petcock diaphragms) are another story. They don`t seem to last more than two or three years with modern gasoline. In fact, if your bike is used, it might be a good idea to replace all your carb and petcock rubber at the next convenient opportunity.

Just so we understand, are you wanting to keep your stock petcock because you like the automatic feature, or you are just concerned about sourcing and installing a petcock compatible with whatever new tank you end up with? The 5.3 Acerbis does come with a petcock (not automatic), pretty sure the super tanker model also ships with one. I wish somebody who had installed the stock vac operated petcock on an aftermarket tank would chime in, sorry I can`t be more help with that.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:00 pm 

Starting with a completely full tank and riding mostly highway and backroads I made 95 miles before to turn the petcock to reserve and a total of 135 miles when I ran completely our of gas after trying to hypermile (including PRI position and leaning the motorcycle on the left side).

I have to say that I was running reach (yesterday I changed the main jet with a smaller one and adjusted the fuel mixture screw) so hopefully next time I will have a better mileage.

I thought about an extra fuel tank like Koplin or Rotopax but I have to buy the dedicated mount, so... for about $70/80 more I can buy larger tank.
I want to keep the OEM fuel petcock because of the automatic feature and because I want to keep the DR as much as possible in stock condition.
You are right I red somewhere you can use the VAC operated petcock with the Acerbis 5.3 gallons, I don't know abut the 6.6 gallons, if someone knows the answer I'll appreciated that, but...yeah maybe 5.3 gallons are enough!