www.DRRiders.com

A Dedicated Suzuki DR650 forum for DR650 riders to share their knowledge, experience and adventures!
It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:56 am

DRRIDERS.COM Search - powered by Google

DRRIDERS Member Location Map

Place yourself on the map here!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 165 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 17  Next
 Post subject: Re: $6 DIY Windscreen
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:28 am 

Part II. Sorry the quality sucks, I had upload issues and had to convert it to mobile.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=MK4MBaol2uw

Total project.

Can $9.
Velcro $10
About an hour shopping.
About an hour "arts and.crafts" time.
(Would be much faster if I could do math and add and subtract fractions. Luckily, I have done my share of construction work.)
Two screens. So if you goob one up, you get a second chance.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:12 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Really good screens and enjoy the videos :s_thumbsup ! With all this interest you may have to patent and go global. :clapping: Ever try making hand guards...without barkbusters. Maybe with a thicker plastic? Thanks again for the tutorial!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:11 am 

I looked into the patent idea, but it costs a chunk to get a patent on something. Total BS in my opinion. Bureaucracy at it's best right there.
My dad used to tell me, "never turn a hobby into a job." He didn't leave me a fortune, but he always gave me wise council.
Honestly, seeing a pic of a dual sport bike in freakin' New Zealand with that screen mounted on the front of it, is pretty damn cool to me. A dual sport riding country boy from Moody Alabama helping another rider half way around the world save a buck with a cheap simple mod...that's what it's all about in my opinion.

Of course, if there's a millionare investor out there that might want to help a brother out, or buy the design idea, I'm willing to listen.
Jus'sayin'...

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:18 pm 
MSF Student
MSF Student

Decided to try the windscree idea. Template came out great! Bought a trash can at Wal mart, same as I saw in your pic. Broke as soon as I tried the first crease!! At Ace I found a Rubbermaid can, worked beautifully. I now have a very nice, and inexpensive addition to my DR 650! Thank You very much!! :yahoo:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:34 am 

I need to see the proof!

(and another DR sporting "The Bama Fairing". Damn, I kinda like the sound of that. Yeah, I named it. That makes it Official.)

The Bama Fairing

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:01 pm 
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

NOTE! THIS WILL NOT WORK ON 1997 DR. THE NO. PLATE IS DIFFERENT

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:30 am 

Good point Fry. I don't know what year the number plate took it's current shape, so if your plate doesn't look like mine, it won't fit. But, with a piece of poster board and 15 minutes you could use the basic idea, and the "upper" dimensions and make a screen fit any plate as long as it has some angle to it.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:45 am 
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

Good point Fry. I don't know what year the number plate took it's current shape, so if your plate doesn't look like mine, it won't fit. But, with a piece of poster board and 15 minutes you could use the basic idea, and the "upper" dimensions and make a screen fit any plate as long as it has some angle to it.

Thats pretty much what i did. i trimmed off the sides a bit and moved the screen farther up the plate wont be velcroing it i couldnt get the folds to contour the plate enough to make it flush. i did temp install it and it put the wind at about my eye/forehead level with no helmet. im only 5'6" so that would be about right if you were 6' at your throat. Really awesome design and easy to do. just wish i had the newer plate. Thanx for all the vids!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 4:27 am 
SuperMoto Dude
SuperMoto Dude

Made myself one of these little gems ..... and i found one and one only down fall of a non see-through screen ..... i can't see where i am going when i am doing a wheel stand :s_mad ......... and i like my wheelie's :s_yes ........ looks like its more off balance wheelie practice for me then :bumps:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:03 pm 

Very neat !! Great job on the concept and vids !! There should be a "How to" Section for this kinda stuff !! Thanx for mod idea !! :bumps:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 165 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 17  Next