www.DRRiders.com

A Dedicated Suzuki DR650 forum for DR650 riders to share their knowledge, experience and adventures!
It is currently Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:33 am

DRRIDERS.COM Search - powered by Google

DRRIDERS Member Location Map

Place yourself on the map here!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 165 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
 Post subject: Re: $6 DIY Windscreen
PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 9:13 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

gstanfield wrote:
I made one last night. I had no issues with breaking, I even tried to break a scrap piece and could not make it break. As to the results of the screen; the jury is still out. There were no negative effects (other than looks), but there wasn't much positive either. I made mine 13" tall FWIW.

A pic just because that's what we do here:

I'll play around with shape and height a bit, but so far I'm not sure if the minimal benefit is worth the loss of seeing my front fender. If I find a shape and size I like then I'll reproduce it in lexan, but if nothing else it's fun to play around with ideas like this.

Thanks,
G

I made about 7 of these screens in different widths and heights and they all had a lot of wind noise and a bit of buffeting. Went back to just the stock headlight cowl and things are much better. Too bad it this windscreen didn't work (for me) as it was a nice place to tape route plans or as I liked to call them "ghetto GPS".

I also like your hack to intergrade the use of stock hand guards while also using aftermarket level/hand guards :2_thumbsup:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 11:42 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

PerazziMx14 wrote:
gstanfield wrote:
I made one last night. I had no issues with breaking, I even tried to break a scrap piece and could not make it break. As to the results of the screen; the jury is still out. There were no negative effects (other than looks), but there wasn't much positive either. I made mine 13" tall FWIW.

A pic just because that's what we do here:

I'll play around with shape and height a bit, but so far I'm not sure if the minimal benefit is worth the loss of seeing my front fender. If I find a shape and size I like then I'll reproduce it in lexan, but if nothing else it's fun to play around with ideas like this.

Thanks,
G

I made about 7 of these screens in different widths and heights and they all had a lot of wind noise and a bit of buffeting. Went back to just the stock headlight cowl and things are much better. Too bad it this windscreen didn't work (for me) as it was a nice place to tape route plans or as I liked to call them "ghetto GPS".

I also like your hack to intergrade the use of stock hand guards while also using aftermarket level/hand guards :2_thumbsup:

Thanks!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 11:46 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

bdesj wrote:
gstanfield wrote:
(pic)
Ha! I couldn`t get my scraps to break either, no matter how hard I tried, but with the "good" pieces I cut they both snapped straight away! Now I wondering if it was some kind of grain direction issue.

I don`t think your screen looks bad, GS. A bit tall for my taste, but at least it`s clean. For what its worth, A: the screen I finally succeeded in making is from Lexan, and it`s normally too mucked up to see through any better than if it were from PVC B: it has tried to bite me on a few isolated occasions, but vision has never been an issue (even totally covered by dust, bug guts, or/or mud). I was thinking mine was also 13 inches tall, but maybe it was less- looks smaller than yours. EDIT: according to my first post on thte subject, 13.5 in the center, 12.5 on each side

motozark wrote:
I have tried this 3 times and it has broke each time.
Same brand of waste can? I was going to try a different brand on the next round before I found thte hunk of Lexan that finally worked for me.

My write-up with details is on page 11 from 27 July 14.

Mine isn't as tall as it looks in that pic, it's exactly 13" in the center. I'm going to try making another shorter and another taller and see if I can find something that works for me. Thanks for the input.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 12:14 pm 

How tall are most of you? I'm 6'3" and this helped me out a lot. It took all the wind off of my chest.
The only problem I am having is that the velcro doesn't want to stay attached to the garbage can fairing. It stuck really well to the headlight fairing.

Attachment:
x2.jpg
x2.jpg [ 1.38 MiB | Viewed 375 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 12:17 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

I'm 6'1" and 215lbs

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 11:01 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

5-08 with short legs and long torso.
Do you think staples might help the Velcro stay on the screen?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:56 am 

I got my velcro at Hobby Lobby. I'm starting to wonder if it isn't up to the task. I washed the garbage fairing before adding the plasti dip and I wiped of the area the velcro is attached too with mineral spirits. I would have thought that to be good enough.
I do like the staple idea.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:49 am 

motozark wrote:
I have tried this 3 times and it has broke each time.
Same brand of waste can? I was going to try a different brand on the next round before I found thte hunk of Lexan that finally worked for me.

The first can was from Dollar General so I thought maybe it was the type of plastic. I then went to Walmart and got a sterilite can and had the same results. I still have the other side of the sterilite can I can give it one more shot. I thought about heating it up before trying to bend it.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 5:53 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

bdesj wrote:

I used 3M Dual Lock, which is like a super heavy duty velcro. It comes with a very good adhesive backing that should stick to any surface.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 6:23 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Picard wrote:
bdesj wrote:

I used 3M Dual Lock, which is like a super heavy duty velcro. It comes with a very good adhesive backing that should stick to any surface.

Me too.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 165 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next