www.DRRiders.com

A Dedicated Suzuki DR650 forum for DR650 riders to share their knowledge, experience and adventures!
It is currently Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:32 am

DRRIDERS.COM Search - powered by Google

DRRIDERS Member Location Map

Place yourself on the map here!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 165 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
 Post subject: Re: $6 DIY Windscreen
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 5:36 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

anything taller or angled forward will be a compromise between more protection and noise or buffeting. Seeing the road close to the front wheel gives a more thrilling sense of speed also. :yahoo:

shape also needs to be considered.

this windshield created a drone at highway speeds that I hated.

This one, being the same height, but more narrow, and shaped differently, causes no drone. I get nothing but clean air, with a little more wind at the shoulders.
Both windshields are the same height and mounted nearly vertical, so they won't interfere with standing and leaning forward off road.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:39 pm 

Location: East coast of Vancouver Island, BC, on the western Canada.
The first shield looks like it is too vertical without enough air gap under it.
The second one would probably be even more quieter if it was a bit shorter.

Ross

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:18 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

The first shield looks like it is too vertical without enough air gap under it.
The second one would probably be even more quieter if it was a bit shorter.

Ross

From the bottom picture, you should be able to see the large air gap between fairing and clear windshield, and that if it was angled back any farther I would have hit it wit my chest while riding up that hill.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:37 pm 
MSF Student
MSF Student

You all are right in that a little bit here and there really make a difference. My v shape with wings is only 9 inches high and needs to be cut down another 1/2 inch. My regular shape flat front w/o wings was 11 inches high. I've never tried a vent under the shield. Different helmets will have different noise signatures too. It's fun experimenting because you get to go out and ride.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:16 pm 
MSF Student
MSF Student

Here's a picture of the v shape with wings. At 8" high now the windblast hits just below my helmet while the wings keep the air off my shoulders. All cardboard and duct tape 'til I get it right. As a bonus there is a micro glove box between the cardboard and stock plastic shield. Just big enough for a pair of gloves.
Attachment:
Shasta lake ride 003.JPG
Shasta lake ride 003.JPG [ 805.11 KiB | Viewed 583 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:17 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

i stash my gloves in there all the time, works a treat.

Image[/url]P7152733 by Rian2008, on Flickr[/img]

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 4:54 pm 
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

Nice. Heading out the dollar store to see what I can find. I'm thinking about going with white instead of trying to match the black to the bike.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:42 pm 

I have tried this 3 times and it has broke each time.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:55 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

I made one last night. I had no issues with breaking, I even tried to break a scrap piece and could not make it break. As to the results of the screen; the jury is still out. There were no negative effects (other than looks), but there wasn't much positive either. I made mine 13" tall FWIW.

A pic just because that's what we do here:

I'll play around with shape and height a bit, but so far I'm not sure if the minimal benefit is worth the loss of seeing my front fender. If I find a shape and size I like then I'll reproduce it in lexan, but if nothing else it's fun to play around with ideas like this.

Thanks,
G

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 3:25 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

gstanfield wrote:
I made one last night. I had no issues with breaking, I even tried to break a scrap piece and could not make it break. As to the results of the screen; the jury is still out. There were no negative effects (other than looks), but there wasn't much positive either. I made mine 13" tall FWIW.
(pic)
I'll play around with shape and height a bit, but so far I'm not sure if the minimal benefit is worth the loss of seeing my front fender. If I find a shape and size I like then I'll reproduce it in lexan, but if nothing else it's fun to play around with ideas like this.
Ha! I couldn`t get my scraps to break either, no matter how hard I tried, but with the "good" pieces I cut they both snapped straight away! Now I wondering if it was some kind of grain direction issue.

I don`t think your screen looks bad, GS. A bit tall for my taste, but at least it`s clean. For what its worth, A: the screen I finally succeeded in making is from Lexan, and it`s normally too mucked up to see through any better than if it were from PVC B: it has tried to bite me on a few isolated occasions, but vision has never been an issue (even totally covered by dust, bug guts, or/or mud). I was thinking mine was also 13 inches tall, but maybe it was less- looks smaller than yours. EDIT: according to my first post on thte subject, 13.5 in the center, 12.5 on each side

motozark wrote:
I have tried this 3 times and it has broke each time.
Same brand of waste can? I was going to try a different brand on the next round before I found thte hunk of Lexan that finally worked for me.

My write-up with details is on page 11 from 27 July 14.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 165 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next