www.DRRiders.com

A Dedicated Suzuki DR650 forum for DR650 riders to share their knowledge, experience and adventures!
It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:33 am

DRRIDERS.COM Search - powered by Google

DRRIDERS Member Location Map

Place yourself on the map here!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: PVC Tool Tube
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:03 am 
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

Had been thinking of doing one of these for a while and finally made the time. I wanted to be able to carry with me where ever I was all the stuff I needed to change a flat along with my stock DR tool kit. So far me likey! :good:

Used 3" black PVC with a cap on one end and a test plug on the other. Fabricated a bracket from some aluminum and strapped it down with some tube clamps - all from Lowes for about $20 or so.

Edit: forgot to mention that if you have a CA DR you'll need to pull the emissions garbage off first as well. Again, nice weight saver and frees up the needed room under the side plate. Also, the tube is cut to roughly 17" so my long old tire iron could fit. With that length the helmet lock has to go as well.

Used piece of aluminum as a bracket...

Strapped the PVC to the bracket, had to say goodbye to the helmet lock but NEVER used it anyway and it saves weight :s_wink ...

Here are all the tools I wanted in there - used one of my wife's old Pampered Chef aprons, maybe I'll sew straps on it later for now duct tape...

All rolled up and JUST fit! :smile:

Had to make some adjustments so wouldn't rub back tire but was pretty easy...looks good and it's nice and tight! :s_cool

Last edited by wrightstuff on Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: PVC Tool Tube
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:34 am 
Single Tracker
Single Tracker

Me likey too. Looks nice at the back :good:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:37 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Wrighstuff . Mind me asking what you used for a strap for your rearward strap . I've done this exact thing on bikes in the past useing hose clamps like your fron two . Every hose clamp I ever tried , the vibration of the bike always never failed to stretch the strap where the screw threads go through the holes in the strap to tighten it .

Looks great and something to that nature is surely to be my next farkle as soon as I come up with a mounting strap solution I can trust .

Oh . Can I assume that the black pvc pipe is 3.5 inch outside diameter as well ?

Thanks in advance .

Our adventure begins where the rest of the world finds themselves lost !
Trip reports are created in the mind, committed in the heart and
finalized by sharing . Let's see some trip reports .

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:43 am 
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

Wrighstuff . Mind me asking what you used for a strap for your rearward strap . I've done this exact thing on bikes in the past useing hose clamps like your fron two . Every hose clamp I ever tried , the vibration of the bike always never failed to stretch the strap where the screw threads go through the holes in the strap to tighten it .

Looks great and something to that nature is surely to be my next farkle as soon as I come up with a mounting strap solution I can trust .

Oh . Can I assume that the black pvc pipe is 3.5 inch outside diameter as well ?

Thanks in advance .

All the straps are the same I just sanded and then painted the back one. I think the size I used was 2.5" - 3" or something close to that. The PVC was 3" off the shelf at Lowes - They sell them in 2 ft. sections. I have yet to put this thing to a real torture test so I may end up with the same stretching as you - time will tell. :s_dunno

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:13 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

If the straps stretch , you might try just drilling the rail you made and the tube . Use 5/16th stainless bolts and 5/16th supr wide fender washers on the inside of the yube to give broader support to the tube from inside . The stainless huge washer will bend to exact internal contour of the tube . It's the bomb . Thats how i did my rear rack mount tool tube . I want a secondary larger tool tube where yours is now in similar fashion . Plus , I plan to add 3rd one just under the header mounted on th frame to put a little oil resvoir in there for in case of a sudden oil leak .

Here is my rear rack mounted tool tube . I really like it . It makes for great stability of anything I bungee on back there . No way my cargo can slide backwards either . I obviously have high-res reflective tape on my tube . You ought to see it when headlights hit it at night . I am looking at mounting a secondary LED break light on it as well . lol lol lol . Mine is the 4 inch pipe . You wouldnt believe all the stuff in there . A full set of 1/4 drive socket and allen set , tons of small tools . All that is in a Nalgen bottle . On one end there is a heavy duty rear tube and on the other end is a small Slime Brand 12v air compressor . lol lol

Notice how I made it long enough to reach out past the turn signals to help protect them in the event of a spill . Pretty ? Not so much . Functional ....AWESOME FARKLE. lol

wrightstuff wrote:
PO-SLOKE wrote:

Thanks in advance .

All the straps are the same I just sanded and then painted the back one. I think the size I used was 2.5" - 3" or something close to that. The PVC was 3" off the shelf at Lowes - They sell them in 2 ft. sections. I have yet to put this thing to a real torture test so I may end up with the same stretching as you - time will tell. :s_dunno

Our adventure begins where the rest of the world finds themselves lost !
Trip reports are created in the mind, committed in the heart and
finalized by sharing . Let's see some trip reports .

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:30 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

A 10$ welding rod holder:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:35 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

PO-SLOKE wrote:
If the straps stretch , you might try just drilling the rail you made and the tube . Use 5/16th stainless bolts and 5/16th supr wide fender washers on the inside of the yube to give broader support to the tube from inside . The stainless huge washer will bend to exact internal contour of the tube...

I've had tool tubes on past bikes and experienced the loosening hose clamps. If you load 'em up and ride on rough terrain it takes a toll and you have to keep an eye on them and replace them once in a while.

Next time around I might combine the big hose clamps with a stainless bolt/fender washer. that combo might just do the trick. And instead of (or in addition to) hose clamps I've seen people use those mondo zip ties used by HVAC folks for flex duct. I don't think they would fatigue like the metal. maybe add a couple of those as well.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:16 pm 
MSF Student
MSF Student

I riveted my clamps to my mounts. That way the clamps stay in place and would have to get pretty loose before loosing the tube.

I also hork down on them pretty good (my tube is sch 20 aluminum), something you can do on sch 20 PVC but the thinner tubes won't take it so will not keep the worm screw tight enough to stop it from creeping.

I beat mine up in the Big Bend Country and East Texas fire roads. Other than a couple dents, I haven't had trouble with it coming loose.

Some Photos

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:28 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

I have A black 3" pvc pipe with glue on caps,one with a o ring seal for my tire changeing tools and pump too.If I could figure how to get a picture on this computer thing then you could see how I mounted it.It gives me great satisfaction just knowing I,ve got the stuff with me all the time.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:23 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Just a thought on the straps. Has anyone tried the exhaust hangers from after market pipes. You know- stainless with a rubber "band" between the hanger and the actual exhaust pipe. Like this. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EXHAUST-HANGE ... 564633d208