www.DRRiders.com

A Dedicated Suzuki DR650 forum for DR650 riders to share their knowledge, experience and adventures!
It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:33 am

DRRIDERS.COM Search - powered by Google

DRRIDERS Member Location Map

Place yourself on the map here!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 627 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61 ... 63  Next
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:05 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

MMmm... nice stuff, Dinsdale. Do you do "beach stuff" on the coast, or mostly it`s just your destination, then you hit the road some more?
Dinsdale wrote:
PS You need to look at may pix from the last back to the first. This silly programme puts 'em all in reverse order. Also, how do I place a few pix, then some commentary, then some more pix, then some more commentary etc?

More restrictions! Looks like I need to make a 2nd post to add the last few pix.
Last I knew, DRR`s allotment for space was all used up, so attachments were not even possible, had to host on a different website and then link over with the IMG box. That does let you write in whatever you want, where you want, but has its own set of hassles. I have been using Photobucket just because I have had the account for years, but don`t recommend it for anybody starting with a clean slate- it`s a major pain in the butt.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:34 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Just finished a three-day weekend and took advantage of the time to investigate some new-to-me territory north of Chico CA. Still a lot of snow closures, gates, downed trees, but I have a little better grip on the Chico to Lassen corridor now. Big Suzi started feeling under the weather Sunday, so I steered her towards home the next morning. I have not done my carb or checked valves in a little over a year, so good chance that will cheer her up. Running into town again this afternoon, and I`ll pick up new float O-rings while I`m there- hopefully the ol PigDuro will be back to her old perky self by next weekend.

County road in the middle of Sierra Valley, puddles encroaching on the roadway.

Fun shortcut from Quincy down to CA Route 70 now disappears into the Feather River for about 100 feet!

Camp spot for Sat night, will be nice to get out of my boots.

Zoom on the tennis shoes. See anything wrong here? Besides the pedal cleat on one, I have two righties and no left! Looks like some bonding time with my boots this weekend :yahoo:

Since the short cut to 70 did not work out, back to Quincy for coffee Sun morning. For some reason, they always have a beautiful mist hanging over town in the mornings.

Feather River (Middle Fork) Canyon, always a treat.

Abandoned house in the ex-town of Pulga, rather bizzar mural.

Very cool waterfall on a back road out of Pulga.

This was a neat bridge. Map says it was the only crossing of that creek without going all the way down into Chico.

Back on pavement. Something tells me I`ll be making a U-turn soon.

Yup.

In the tiny resort town of Butte Meadows...

Sunday night`s campsite and Monday`s return home not pictured. Cheers, all!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:21 pm 
SuperMoto Dude
SuperMoto Dude

bdesj wrote:
MMmm... nice stuff, Dinsdale. Do you do "beach stuff" on the coast, or mostly it`s just your destination, then you hit the road some more?

Sometimes I do, but as I "mature" I find the need for higher temps if I'm going to swim. Also, along the south coast the ocean temps aren't as warm as one might wish for. I do a little fishing, but would usually take the car for fishing trips.

However, you can ride along these beaches to you heart's content. Do donuts - anything! There are endless miles of beautiful sand, mostly quite hard enough to drive/ride on - and you're allowed to! Due to lack of population and distance from population centres you can nearly always have a beach like those I've shown all to yourself (or maybe share it with 1 other person/group). Have a look at another pic (below) of Cheyne yesterday. I did ride along most of it. There were 3 fishermen spaced along there, each of whom were quite happy to have a little chat and brag about what they'd caught.
This what I shared with those 3 blokes. There's about another mile to the right in this pic before reaching the western headland of the bay.
Attachment:
CheyneBeach-03.JPG
CheyneBeach-03.JPG [ 367.99 KiB | Viewed 146 times ]

Generally though, when I decide to just go for a ride that's what I do. I choose pleasant, nearby destinations as a rule because I usually only have a couple of hours to play. There'd be 20 or more beaches like this within an hour of my home. Interspersed between the lovely beaches are some outstandingly beautiful granite headlands - some very rugged. I'll make a point of going to one/some of them next time, just for a little contrast. Coastal destinations are always my choice. Much of our hinterland is (in my opinion) plain bleedin' boring! There are 2 tiny little sets of mounds we call mountains (The Porongorups and the Stirlings) within that 1 hour radius, but they really don't interest me.

West Oz is a full 1/3 of Oz - 1,000,000 sq miles, (that's a full 1/3 of your contiguous 48) but we only have about 2,300,000 people total and something approaching 2,000,000 of those live in greater Perth - the capital city. Hence, getting out on your own, away from constraints is not difficult. We haven't had white settlements here for 200 years yet. My town, Albany, was the 1st European settlement in WA - 25th December, 1826. Albany is on the shores of a stunning natural harbour (Princess Royal Harbour) and is the southern-most town in WA. It's the 4th largest metropolis outside the the capital, with a population of about 33,000, though I'd guess that only about 20 to 25,000 of them live withing the town limits.

I do love where I live, though most West Ozzies don't like the area because they reckon it's too cold and it rains too much. We make a point of not letting them in on the secret. Perhaps I will take a fork off this thread and begin a "Travelogue of the Great Southern region of WA" thread. Fellow DRRiders member, "sevens" might add some too, as he lives only about 100Km west of me (still within that 1hr radius), in a beautiful forested area of WA.

Any'ow, I gotta go now, alas in the car as the sky is looking a little ominous.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:39 pm 
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

Went on our first real trail ride.

I purchased a DR650 so my son and I could go riding together once we got him his first bike and I could still get to and from work daily as well. The commuting side has been going great and we finally got him his first bike the end of February. The dealer we got it from hosted a fun day at the local MX track and we went out. Rode the 5 mile trail to start the day and only went down once in the mud. We rode the short trail a couple of times and I even followed my son around the track once. I layed it over in a deep rut and rolled myself down the hill but got back on and kept going. The only other issue was the mud again but I made it through, just a little squirrely. I like the Shinko E700s for everything but mud. Then again, I am not sure the DR likes mud with most any tire. It is a heavy bike for tight trail stuff but we are learning together. I came home in one piece so I guess it was a good day.

Attachments:
IMG_2316.jpg
IMG_2316.jpg [ 108.2 KiB | Viewed 125 times ]
IMG_2317.JPG
IMG_2317.JPG [ 119.74 KiB | Viewed 125 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:28 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Cool! What did you get your son? Just going by what you said above, it sounds like he`s still too small for a DR, but maybe I misunderstood.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:09 am 
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

bdesj wrote:
Cool! What did you get your son? Just going by what you said above, it sounds like he`s still too small for a DR, but maybe I misunderstood.

He just turned 11. We got him a Honda CRF125 Big Wheel. He is loving it. We have been riding around our property for the last month but this was our first outing. The trails were a little rutted up and rocky from the recent rain but we made it through.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:50 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

FINALLY was able to go on my first ride of the year...

The weather around here has been absolutely awful. There wasn't a single day in March without rain.
Sure...I could have put on all my rain gear, but if I'm fussing about the rain, I'm not enjoying myself.

This was just a small, 50km loop....but it was good for the soul!

2010 Black DR650 - Raptor Petcock...MSR skid plate...Stock chain-roller removed/"Seat Concepts" seat kit/Lower ball-bearing roller/AMP case armor/Pro-Moto rack/Twin Air filter/520 conversion/TM40 pumper carb/8.3 Rear spring/ProCycle Case saver/WARP 9 bar-risers/IMS 4.9 gal Tank/Homemade Chainguard topic15058.html NSU Fix topic14597.html NSU Fix re-visited topic14828.html
DR_Rider blog: https://dr650rider.blogspot.ca/

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:18 am 

I went to Redfeather, CO for some nice views but still a little chilly and too much snow in spots. I saw a moose on my ride and tried to catch a pic but dropped my bike trying to get my phone out quickly. :bang:

Attachments:
20170408_122055-1008x756.jpg
20170408_122055-1008x756.jpg [ 252.1 KiB | Viewed 109 times ]
20170410_111028-1008x756.jpg
20170410_111028-1008x756.jpg [ 231.04 KiB | Viewed 109 times ]
20170410_121026-756x1008.jpg
20170410_121026-756x1008.jpg [ 259.14 KiB | Viewed 109 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:35 pm 
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

Here is a video from our first trail ride this past weekend.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:06 pm 
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

Found a new commute to work. I drive about 30 miles each way every day and have been doing so on the DR through most of the winter even. I have found several gravel roads as options for travel and just discovered another one today. That makes 9 of my 27 miles off road every day. I am loving my commute more and more.

Attachments:
IMG_2329.JPG
IMG_2329.JPG [ 195.66 KiB | Viewed 69 times ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 627 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61 ... 63  Next