www.DRRiders.com

A Dedicated Suzuki DR650 forum for DR650 riders to share their knowledge, experience and adventures!
It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:58 am

DRRIDERS.COM Search - powered by Google

DRRIDERS Member Location Map

Place yourself on the map here!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 612 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 58, 59, 60, 61, 62  Next
 Post subject: Re: BST magic
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:23 pm 

Finally had a chance to do a milage check with my current setup. 47.5 pilot, 155 main, tapered needle, needle shimmed .060, header weld ground down, hyabusa can and air filter box top cut out. I had needle shimmed .040 but still had a hint of surge. Went to .060 shimmed and surge disappeared. From what I have read you would think I would be on the very rich side but I went on a little putt today for 74 miles and used 1.4 gallons which came out to 52.8 mpg u.s. Temp was 60 degrees Fahrenheit and windy. It is going to get down in the teens this weekend so it will lean this setup out a little. Thanks everyone and auscanvet for the help and great cheap mods for a. Awesome running bike.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:48 pm 
Single Tracker
Single Tracker

Grittler wrote:
Finally had a chance to do a milage check with my current setup. 47.5 pilot, 155 main, tapered needle, needle shimmed .060, header weld ground down, hyabusa can and air filter box top cut out. I had needle shimmed .040 but still had a hint of surge. Went to .060 shimmed and surge disappeared. From what I have read you would think I would be on the very rich side but I went on a little putt today for 74 miles and used 1.4 gallons which came out to 52.8 mpg u.s. Temp was 60 degrees Fahrenheit and windy. It is going to get down in the teens this weekend so it will lean this setup out a little. Thanks everyone and auscanvet for the help and great cheap mods for a. Awesome running bike.

I get a consistent 53 mpg with spirited pavement riding, hardly any interstate, but with an occasional top-speed run on the expressway. With the mods, I feel like this is about the best that can be expected. Congrats!

2016 GSX-S1000F
2013 DL650
2014 DL1000
1982 GS750

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:56 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

G-Dub wrote:
Grittler wrote:

I get a consistent 53 mpg with spirited pavement riding, hardly any interstate, but with an occasional top-speed run on the expressway. With the mods, I feel like this is about the best that can be expected. Congrats!

Great work guys!!

"Sold" 2011 DR650 GSXR #24, drilled slide, cut spring, modified stock needle, with cut air box, air assist forks, lowered pegs, stock tank,15-41. Still love working on them!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:40 pm 

I would like to thank Auscanvet who answered my questions not long after they were posted. It made things much easier as I only had a small window that the bike could be out of action and it gave me enough time to get the jets he recommended also got spare needle,nylon spacer and procycle screw set.So last weekend headed off on the 300k trip to my brothers workshop.That night we performed the bst magic with much scepticism from my brother who is a bike mechanic, especially when he seen me grinding the needle on his bench grinder. We usually replace them if they have a small nick in them he said. He has done a lot of jet kits on other types of bikes and says there is quite often a trade off gain somewhere and lose elsewhere or economy. So we tapered needle, drilled slide to two 3mm holes, cut spring to 100mm, 155 main, 45 pilot, removed snorkel, 50mm hole in airbox. I already had MEP exhaust with larger header but with his special tools was able to do the job without removing pipe or carb. Bike is 2015 with 15,000 ks all settings as per factory it has never been back to shop since I bought it new. Fired it up and it was like I hadn't touched it, same amount of choke, same idle.Short ride that night proved it was much stronger and no apparent shorcomings. Next morning give it a bigger test highway, hills, around town all good. Back to the shed all warmed up and he richened half a turn and bumped idle up a poofteenth and he took it for a ride performing all his normal tests for leaness and richness. Gone for ages I thought he had come off. Came back and said he tried hard but couldn't fault it, he loaded it up on hills in much higher gear than it should have been and it just pulled all the way to redline snapping the throttle open in top gear on the highway to pass goes straight to 130. He was impressed and said it was the strongest DR he had ever riden and I know he has had a few trick ones in his shop from time to time. There is no surging just a bit more noise both from air box and pipe. So I filled the 20 litre acerbic and headed home the scenic route over mountains dirt roads and highways marvelling at the smoothness of both my up and down shifts and the extra grunt which made tight uphill twisties much more plesureable and safer being able to gently add power while on acute lean angles no matter the gear.Cruising at 100ks on back country highways I feel like im sitting right in a torque zone which will be handy when fully loaded with camping gear. Next day back on the bike and out in the bush to find some banks etc to climb and slow trials type work all good, then onto some back roads to use up the rest of the fuel. Into servo showing just over 400ks on trip and bowser showed 20L so 20ks to the litre the same as I was getting before im happy with that, rang my brother to rub it in. I think he might be advising other DR owners to go this way in the future. This might not make sense but it feels like a better road bike on the road and a better dirt bike in the bush.I used and recommend Mick Hone m/cycles for needles and gen parts and if he doesn't have the bigger jets you get the right part no and go to Mikunioz also Procycle for the screws all three had my parts in my rural po box in 2-3 days. Thanks again Auscanvet you made mine simple

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:54 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Good work mate. Where did you end up with regard to clip position?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:17 am 

Needle on 4th clip and off shelf

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:10 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

DRWillie wrote:
Needle on 4th clip and off shelf

You had me worried DRWillie when you said your brother was a bike mechanic!! Glad he was impressed! :2_thumbsup:

"Sold" 2011 DR650 GSXR #24, drilled slide, cut spring, modified stock needle, with cut air box, air assist forks, lowered pegs, stock tank,15-41. Still love working on them!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:29 am 

It's 19 degrees Fahrenheit here when I road to work this morning. Bike ran great so I was probably a little rich when it was 60 a couple days ago. They are calling for 2 feet of snow tonight and into tomorrow so I won't be riding for a little.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:27 pm 

One more upvote for the BST magic!!! I did just the stage one and added another hole in the slide, adjustable needle 2 turns out, clip 4th from top. Amazing difference!!! Why did I wait so long? It should be considered a mandatory mod!!!!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 7:29 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Good to see positive results to the "magic" all over the world! 45 pilot seems to be getting the best results with changed exhausts. It's a good idea trying the needle up and down one position as bikes vary in fueling needs. When you drop the needle off the shelf your leaning the bike about two needle positions! That is half the magic. Other mods, tapering needle, drilling slide, cutting spring and adjusting avaliable air will increase torque and smooth out the drive. Such simple, free mods!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 612 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 58, 59, 60, 61, 62  Next