www.DRRiders.com

A Dedicated Suzuki DR650 forum for DR650 riders to share their knowledge, experience and adventures!
It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:38 am

DRRIDERS.COM Search - powered by Google

DRRIDERS Member Location Map

Place yourself on the map here!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 622 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 63  Next
 Post subject: Re: BST magic
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:06 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

My air box has the snorkel removed and now two 1 3/4 extra holes drilled. This is much less surface area than others recommend. However, removing the air filter cover gives me no noticeable change in performance, good or bad. A larger opening would increase the chances of surging. My air box is not opened all the way because there is no advantage.

"Sold" 2011 DR650 GSXR #24, drilled slide, cut spring, modified stock needle, with cut air box, air assist forks, lowered pegs, stock tank,15-41. Still love working on them!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:30 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Hey Auscanvet, you never shared that video with us. I found it on your flickr:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/79825071@N06/7693874178/

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:34 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Thank you Kernel, I am computer challenged. The BST is a good carb and can make the DR run excellent!

"Sold" 2011 DR650 GSXR #24, drilled slide, cut spring, modified stock needle, with cut air box, air assist forks, lowered pegs, stock tank,15-41. Still love working on them!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:51 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

The video clearly shows a "squirt" of fuel when the throttle is wacked open! Just like a pumper carb, maybe a slight delay but not much!

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 5:59 pm 
SuperMoto Dude
SuperMoto Dude

Auscanvet wrote:
Results update for my modified BST carb. Still running great, getting 23km/l, about 52mpg (USA). No issues with surging or any other bad habits...
In many others and my opinion the GSXR conversion should be "Step 1" on the list of performance mods.
"Step two" (always just my opinion) is the free mods to the air box, slide, plastic spacer and needle. This will release about 90% of the stock DR's potential.
"Step 3" another 5% with bigger main jet and ground header pipe, again very cheap mods.

BST magic indeed! Auscanvet kindly spent all of yesterday doing these step-by-step on my completely stock DR650. my first DR had the pumper carb and FMF pipe, the second one had a DJ jetting kit and GSXR pipe, so was keen to see how his setup worked on the new DR.

first, the GSXR pipe and his custom midpipe on on the otherwise stock bike. air/fuel screw out to 1.5 turns. i've heard people say the stock pipe isn't that restrictive but a very noticeable power increase all over, particularly low to midrange. impressive, given this is a no. 35 gsxr pipe and isn't much louder than the stock pipe.

second, drilled the top of the airbox. as per earlier posts, auscanvet doesn't go as large a hole as recommended after many hours of experimenting. felt like a drop in power down low but once the bike warmed up again it felt like the first run so nothing lost or gained according to my (highly unreliable) butt dyno. for me this confirms what everyone says, not point modding the airbox till you change the jetting.

third, put in the 155 jet from the DJ kit, the DJ needle, and a slide drilled to the usual specs and shorter spring. nice! another very noticeable improvement across the rev range, particularly low to mid range. i was expecting to really notice a top end improvement with the bigger main jet but it wasn't huge considering the gains already with the pipe... i expect this is just the nature of the DR engine though, and possibly due to not going to the 160 jet as i wanted to retain fuel economy. noticeable punch happening now too, the drilled slide and shorter spring work well. DR pulled very nicely from low revs, especially in fifth gear. bike starts almost before you touch the button! remember DJ and mikuni numbers differ so the DJ 155 main jet is about a 145 mikuni.

fourth, this time we put in Auscanvet's modified stock needle, and a slide where he has drilled the holes out larger than normal. this is the interesting bit! yet another noticeable improvement in low to mid range power and pick up. normally trying to pull the DR into a stand up wheelie in stock third gear takes some effort but now it was almost effortless. no offence the much respected DJ mob, as their kit does work great. but this slightly different taper on the stock needle does seem to work very nicely. hard to tell, but i think it pulled a bit better from very low revs too. deliberately overloaded it up hills at low revs and it just tractored away nicely. it did with the DJ kit too, but i think just a bit better with the modded stock needle. bit of popping on deceleration so brought the fuel air screw out to two turns.

Auscanvet is reporting 23km/l or 54 US MPG or 65MPG UK with his setup. i'm very intrigued to see if i can replicate that kind of mileage, as on my previous DR my fuel economy definitely dropped with the DJ kit (i was using a 160 though). i was getting 20km/l with the stock setup so be nice to get improved economy, extra power on tap when needed, and a potential range of 300km or 186 miles to bone dry.

thanks again Auscanvet for all the time spent showing me this stuff, learnt a lot. love the relocated rego plate, header pipe grind, extra filter for the vent tube, air front forks and modded pegs too but that's another story or thread...

if you like to tinker with your bike, this is well worth messing around with. five minutes to trim your needle, buy a suitable main jet on ebay for $10 posted or just go to a bike shop and buy one. and if you stuff up the needle, just buy a DJ kit.

a few piccies. this is the airbox mod he reckons works best after lots of experimenting.

extra bit of foam to add to the existing filter for the breather vent. apparently it's important to keep this well away from the holes in the airbox, or you may get surging that can be incorrectly blamed on the jetting.

Auscanvet's custom mid pipe

the gsxr can from a hayabusa. why doesn't suzuki put this work of art (plus a spark arrestor) on the DR standard? way lighter, less restrictive, not much louder, surely cheaper to manufacture than that stainless steel lump of choking lard?

on previous bikes i'd always pulled the carby out but it was always a bitch to refit. yesterday we just swivelled it around (but careful not to break that fragile plastic choke) to access everything. we could even do the main jet once we unbolted the rear brake reservoir for access.

will probably need to add a few bricks to the front fender now to stop this happening all the time.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 9:28 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Thats excellent info, what a forum should be about- not having to spend a brick load and getting a better running bike. Its a dr650 not a panigale
:good: :s_thumbsup

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 12:12 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Good write up doctor grey. :drinks:
I have auscanvets mid pipe on the dr and it works well.
I went the fcr route and like it a lot. :good:

P.s. I also did the fork air assist mod as per auscanvets and it is also a good cheap mod that works well.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 4:33 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Just an update on my experimenting. By just tapering the full length needle up about 1in. I am getting the best results. Then shave the spacer to miss the lip in the slide and run in the fourth clip position (oz needle). With the USA needle just shim one needle position. This setting is one clip position leaner than stock! The lip inside slide is about two clip positions. As reported by MXROB all those years ago, the stock setting is lean just off idle but rich everywhere else. By tapering the needle, off idle is fixed and by dropping one clip position and slightly opening the airbox, the richness everywhere else is fixed. Open the airbox to the max necessary (2" hole) you must then get a bigger main jet. This has been my experience. B1's slide has been drilled to 1/8in.(3.2mm), the max reccommended somewhere in another thread. I have now drilled my slide to 3.5mm and will post results when I have rebuilt my bike. B1 has taken my #24 gsxr pipe, carb parts, lowered pegs and air assist fork caps!

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 3:10 am 
SuperMoto Dude
SuperMoto Dude

Auscanvet wrote:
. I have now drilled my slide to 3.5mm and will post results when I have rebuilt my bike. B1 has taken my #24 gsxr pipe, carb parts, lowered pegs and air assist fork caps!

well, i didn't take your entire bike though did i? :biggrin:

loving the mods, had a spin through mt mee today. checked the fuel economy on the way out which was easy dirt and bitumen roads and got 22 km/l or 52 mpg so about 10% better than stock with all the changes you made to my DR. from memory i would have got about 18km/l on the old DR with the DJ jetting kit.

those figures are based on the gps too so will be about 6 to 8% better than if i'd been using the DR speedo for the mileage reading. be interesting to see the mpg after punching down some trails at speed...

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 8:19 pm 
SuperMoto Dude
SuperMoto Dude

Down under DR guys rock. I followed the DJ method with Jesse style cut airbox - Too much (open) you say? And that special Aussie Needle, really cool. But the thing I like most is the increase in gas mileage.

Why the extra bit of foam for the secondary breather?

HC piston mated with 223 Cam grind, TM40 Carb, Busa muff with oversized mid and header pipe and
EVO battery

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 622 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 63  Next