www.DRRiders.com

A Dedicated Suzuki DR650 forum for DR650 riders to share their knowledge, experience and adventures!
It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:20 pm

DRRIDERS.COM Search - powered by Google

DRRIDERS Member Location Map

Place yourself on the map here!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 622 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 63  Next
 Post subject: Re: BST magic
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:44 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

No I have'nt cut my carb spring.I think I'll leave it alone as I'm pretty happy the way it is running.It seems to me there is a limit on how fast the slide can move up and still supply fuel.That little squirt of gas from a pumper carb and your right hand connected directly to the slide is obviously the way to go.Less obsruction in the throat of the carb as well.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:55 pm 
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

cheers! going to try some of this out next weekend!

thanks to Auscanvet and - of course - mxrob for doing so much of the research on all this!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:48 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

When I was a kid... I was tuning a vm mikuni for my hopped up two smoke and came to the conclusion that clipping just a bit off the bottom of the needle would give me the full throttle boost in fuel I wanted. It did. The bike ran great. One afternoon our local cop was back to prevent me from riding in that spot so as I exited stage left, a nice wheelie seemed to best express my feelings of the whole situation. The needle did not follow the same path into the jet because of the more acute angle of the bike and wedged open the throttle causing a bit more of a show than I had intended. After landing on my back, I also learned that two stroke motors don't really need a spark when running at about 20,000 rpm and that a furiously spinning bike making its own donuts won't respond to the kill switch. When you remove the spark plug wire ( hoping to save the motor from what seems like a faulty kill switch) I found that the 20,000 rpm motor is very efficient at developing suprisingly (shocking actually) high levels of voltage. Anyhow, the cop let me go partly because he felt sorry for me I think.

Another thing I learned over the years is that modified needles will not last as long as a factory anodized job, particularly in a bike that vibrates more. The this anodizing adds a good bit of wear resistance to the aluminum part.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:03 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

100% true. Unfortunately I seem to learn a lot of life's little lessons the hard way. Trying to stall the thing made me learn to do donuts while standing next to the bike holding the bars. The bike was an At1-c yamaha 125 with a 175 top end and magneto using a bassani pipe, a VM 30 mikuni and a home made intake manifold. I ported the cylinder with a big old exhaust port that opened at 90deg. And added aux. Transfer ports. I could out drag my buddies mx 250. Never used the donut skills again, ever. The day may come... :pardon:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:01 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

:biggrin: nothing negative was taken. The sad part is that English IS my native language! :crazy:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:51 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

How foolish of me not to recommend a $150 jetting kit instead of using the stock needle! And to not say to check the finished length before starting the bike! I am so sorry! The shaved part of the needle would only touch the needle jet at full throttle so wear for a $4 piece that would only last 50th kms instead of a 100 th., OMG!! The air to the carb is mainly controlled by the butterfly not the slide so if the needle somehow stuck with the slide up, the bike would just stall.

"Sold" 2011 DR650 GSXR #24, drilled slide, cut spring, modified stock needle, with cut air box, air assist forks, lowered pegs, stock tank,15-41. Still love working on them!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:05 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

How foolish of me not to recommend a $150 jetting kit instead of using the stock needle! And to not say to check the finished length before starting the bike! I am so sorry! The shaved part of the needle would only touch the needle jet at full throttle so wear for a $4 piece that would only last 50th kms instead of a 100 th., OMG!! The air to the carb is mainly controlled by the butterfly not the slide so if the needle somehow stuck with the slide up, the bike would just stall.

I agree,lots of stock needles around and avaliable.The extra performance is well worth the effort and you don't have to buy anything to do the modification.You also get great satisfaction from making your own custom needle.By the time my needle needs replacing I'll likely have a 790 kit with all the fixin's anyways.Great stuff Auscanvet!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:03 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Auscanvet wrote:

I would totally agree that the tip of the needle that you modified spends little time in the jet and wear would not likely be a problem. I sincerely apologize for any part of my post that seemed to be critical of what you are doing or suggesting. That was not my intent. I have done the same type of stuff, most recently, using an air fuel ratio sensor in the exhaust and meant to attest to the validity of the suggested mods. My own experience is not so great but I learned things that I personally had not considered and thought that sharing those things could help someone.

I am a new poster to this forum and I don't seem to have a good grasp of the place. Perhaps I am posting out of turn. I love my dr and think these forums are great. My only intention is to have fun and hopefully be helpful while learning from the great wealth of experience all of you contribute.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:11 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

NC RICK . I'm a nobody here for sure and for real . But when I saw you were on these boards , my eyes and ears opened nicely . I'm hoping for much much input from you in all regards . When the thoughts of doing some performance mods for HP and suspension , I kinda always wonder what it is that you might do or have done . Currently , I am pretty much stock in all regards other than some facotry available adjustments on the rear suspension and some carb mods that were done by the PO that I really have no idea what they are .

What I do know is that mine is running like a banchee and smooth as silk as it is and with great mpg . There are times I think about a different can , but not knowing exactly what is in the carb , it makes me a little edgey to toss one on there . I'm a bit limited on tools in some areas and way lacking on carb/fuel/air mix and efficiency . But when I get bold and brave enough ( an cash in hand ) I'll be ringing your phone . I've seen and heard your bikes run and know your rep in the biz in these parts ase one who knows and does .

When I'm ready , my first big effort for mods and dollars spent will be the suspension . Know anyone that can help me with that Rick ? :rofl: :rofl: :bumps:
Thought you'd find that comical . The Cogent Dynamics setup I'll be after for my steed sometime about fall I hope . Can't wait to roll into NC stock and out of NC hold the road on Cogent suspension . Just simply can't wait .

PO-SLOKE

Keep it coming . :lurk: :lurk: :lurk: :lurk:

nc rick wrote:
Auscanvet wrote:

I would totally agree that the tip of the needle that you modified spends little time in the jet and wear would not likely be a problem. I sincerely apologize for any part of my post that seemed to be critical of what you are doing or suggesting. That was not my intent. I have done the same type of stuff, most recently, using an air fuel ratio sensor in the exhaust and meant to attest to the validity of the suggested mods. My own experience is not so great but I learned things that I personally had not considered and thought that sharing those things could help someone.

I am a new poster to this forum and I don't seem to have a good grasp of the place. Perhaps I am posting out of turn. I love my dr and think these forums are great. My only intention is to have fun and hopefully be helpful while learning from the great wealth of experience all of you contribute.

Our adventure begins where the rest of the world finds themselves lost !
Trip reports are created in the mind, committed in the heart and
finalized by sharing . Let's see some trip reports .

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:46 am 
Single Tracker
Single Tracker

Auscanvet wrote:

Relax...

Auscanvet probably just met 5 tourists on the street asking directions to MelBORN, not MelBERN.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 622 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 63  Next