www.DRRiders.com

A Dedicated Suzuki DR650 forum for DR650 riders to share their knowledge, experience and adventures!
It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:40 pm

DRRIDERS.COM Search - powered by Google

DRRIDERS Member Location Map

Place yourself on the map here!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 622 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 63  Next
 Post subject: Re: BST magic
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:54 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Thank you DR STEVE:
Being a typical guy, I took your reply as saying my bike setup is just too lean to work! So I did what any tuner should do and found the biggest main jet I had and fired it in! 155. You were right, my bike accelerates much stronger from half throttle up with bigger main. Thank you for your input. From idle to half throttle my bike is much stronger with the shaved stock needle, regardless of main jet size. I tried a few combinations after your post today. So I will keep the larger main, as you implied and do a fuel milage run. As you did not say what milage you were getting, this will determine what main I will use. My bike still gets 20km/l with the 140 main and shaved needle where stock I got a reliable 18.2km/l. Being old and fairly slow I am rarely at 3/4 throttle and never at full. I may elect to run leaner than optimum to get better fuel milage. This should muddy the waters for others, or may show that many different setups result in good running bikes.

"Sold" 2011 DR650 GSXR #24, drilled slide, cut spring, modified stock needle, with cut air box, air assist forks, lowered pegs, stock tank,15-41. Still love working on them!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:49 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Auscanvet wrote:
Thank you DR STEVE:
Being a typical guy, I took your reply as saying my bike setup is just too lean to work! So I did what any tuner should do and found the biggest main jet I had and fired it in! 155. You were right, my bike accelerates much stronger from half throttle up with bigger main. Thank you for your input. From idle to half throttle my bike is much stronger with the shaved stock needle, regardless of main jet size. I tried a few combinations after your post today. So I will keep the larger main, as you implied and do a fuel milage run. As you did not say what milage you were getting, this will determine what main I will use. My bike still gets 20km/l with the 140 main and shaved needle where stock I got a reliable 18.2km/l. Being old and fairly slow I am rarely at 3/4 throttle and never at full. I may elect to run leaner than optimum to get better fuel milage. This should muddy the waters for others, or may show that many different setups result in good running bikes.

No problems,

I was getting around 18 - 19 klms/ltr with the BST. By your description above, my riding is probably a little less economical than yours.

I'd be happy to run a little on the lean side at cruise/light throttle and idle, but I wouldn't want to run any leaner at WOT than I had my BST at in the 12.5 - 13 AFR range.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:46 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Auscanvet,I modified like you suggested by placeing my 6f23 needle in a die grinder with a small collet to grab the needle and used a piece of emery cloth in my hand and reved 'er and and presto, a custom polished needle. The measurements are now, taken 45mm. from the top gives a dia.of 2.30,and the tip 1.40 and half way between 1.98mm.I also sanded the plastic spacer like a "D'' to better the alignment in the jet.This is my setup now;mikuni 155 main,42.5 pilot,needle modified and shimmed 2.16mm.,drilled 2 -1/8th holes in the slide,stock spring and a cherry bomb muffler with 1& 3/4" harley exhaust pipe from the junction and the stock header pipe that is ground and I have no air cleaner box,a K&N pod that fastens on to the stock air intake boot via a ring I machined to adapt the big cone shaped pod type filter and a bracket and a couple of hose clamps to hold it all together.Now for a report on the performance.I already did the mods except reshaping the needle.This is exactly what I was looking for,I knew the performance was there I just was'nt quite there yet.This transformed my DR like how it should be .The throttle does not have to open as far now to maintain 100kms.an hour according to my marks on my throttle grip.The mid range from 1/4 to 3/4 is now spot on and the bike pulls real hard.My plugs were a little on the gray side before the custom needle indicateing a bit lean like I figured This is the kind of modifications that I like to do best.They are free and with a little patience and common sense you get to use your stock parts instead of taking them off.I highly recomend this needle mod before spending 400 bucks or so on another carb.With some careful tuning the BST carb can be made to perform.I filled my tank with gas so I can test the milage.There is not much resriction now,When you crack the throttle you can hear that intake drawing air through that big K&N and that cherry bomb just raps,fish tails are instant.I hope this info helps others!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:27 pm 
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

wow - I've got the old stock needle from before I put in the DJ kit - it's just gathering dust so I think I'm going to try this out... I've currently got a 155 main, DJ needle, airbox with sidecover off, and a FMF Q4... it's running pretty well indeed - but I feel like there are more little ponies trapped inside waiting to be let out.

so - I'm going to go and grind my needle and drop it in and see what happens.

oh - and I like the incredibly simple but brilliant idea to make an adjustable cover for the airbox holes so the AFM can be adjusted easily to fit - doing that too!

what about your mileage xlcc?? how'd it measure out?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:08 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

wow - I've got the old stock needle from before I put in the DJ kit - it's just gathering dust so I think I'm going to try this out... I've currently got a 155 main, DJ needle, airbox with sidecover off, and a FMF Q4... it's running pretty well indeed - but I feel like there are more little ponies trapped inside waiting to be let out.

so - I'm going to go and grind my needle and drop it in and see what happens.

oh - and I like the incredibly simple but brilliant idea to make an adjustable cover for the airbox holes so the AFM can be adjusted easily to fit - doing that too!

what about your mileage xlcc?? how'd it measure out?

I just got back from town after filling my tank with gas,and I can hardly believe after doing the calculating I am getting 58 mpg.This is about 1/2 highway and 1/2 gravell,and on the gravell I'm on and off the throttle pretty hard just loving the response.I definately don't need as much throttle opening to go the same speed as my last tuneiing setup.The back tire is suffering big time,I have a new one I'll install this weekend.As for the tuneing I am real happy the way it's setup now so I am calling it good.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:14 pm 
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

I just got back from town after filling my tank with gas,and I can hardly believe after doing the calculating I am getting 58 mpg.This is about 1/2 highway and 1/2 gravell,and on the gravell I'm on and off the throttle pretty hard just loving the response.I definately don't need as much throttle opening to go the same speed as my last tuneiing setup.The back tire is suffering big time,I have a new one I'll install this weekend.As for the tuneing I am real happy the way it's setup now so I am calling it good.

seriously...

seriously?!?!?!

wow.

that doesn't make any sense to me but I'm pretty willing to give it a go!

will let you know results.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:17 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

:lurk:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:43 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Even with perfect jetting your bike will not rev like an FCR carbed bike unless you cut the diaphragm spring, hang the needle straight and drill the slide. Then you will get all she has to offer. Just mine and a few others opinions, so far.

"Sold" 2011 DR650 GSXR #24, drilled slide, cut spring, modified stock needle, with cut air box, air assist forks, lowered pegs, stock tank,15-41. Still love working on them!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:20 pm 
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

Even with perfect jetting your bike will not rev like an FCR carbed bike unless you cut the diaphragm spring, hang the needle straight and drill the slide. Then you will get all she has to offer. Just mine and a few others opinions, so far.

exactly how much did you chop off the spring Auscanvet?

and I think I missed the procedure to hang the needle straight - how do?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:51 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

You can see in the pictures that the stock plastic spacer is carefully ground to allow it to drop off the shelf in the slide. The shelf on my two carbs is about .073 in. To get back to stock height you must shim this much or move the needle clip. This is very controversial but I am happy with the elimination of any drag on the slide and have tried both ways many times.

I shortened the diaphragm spring to 100mm. as per MX-ROB'S suggestion in the excellent thread called the" Epic Needle Comparison", could have been a Best Seller, movie right's?? Any thing I have tried just carry's on from his recommendations!!
The shorter spring allows the slide to react quicker during acceleration and slower during deceleration, resulting in a faster bike and less decal popping, in my opinion and testing. The down side for some appears to be surging which I have not had yet. My air box is not opened up all the way and any extra holes drilled have been as far away as possible from the carb breather.

xlcc have you not cut your spring yet?? To go back to stock spring length,for what ever reason, just cut a piece of plastic with 8mm inside and put over spring post under the carb cap.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 622 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 63  Next