www.DRRiders.com

A Dedicated Suzuki DR650 forum for DR650 riders to share their knowledge, experience and adventures!
It is currently Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:47 pm

DRRIDERS.COM Search - powered by Google

DRRIDERS Member Location Map

Place yourself on the map here!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:23 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

nicholi1222 wrote:
I am currently experimenting with Rideon, which was recommended to me by DRV. It seems to balance just the same.

I recently bought balance beads, but I decided to try slime since I had a front tube treated with it for my ANF trip.

No vibes all the way up through 90 MPH :good:

I'm trying 10% over 2up pressures after reading some other posts of folk with big miles on their TWs.

Currently I have a set of TW 301/302 on.

No bobbles post D606 :wacko:

:biggrin:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 3:50 pm 
MSF Student
MSF Student

The stock rear Trailwing was almost toast at 2500 miles, but the stock front Trailwing is still in great shape. I replaced the rear with another Trailwing and the DR is currently at 2800 miles. When this rear goes I think I'll replace the Trailwings with a set of Anakee 3's. I'm an older rider (46) and do mostly back roads and gravel and I like the Trailwing's. But buying tires every 2500 miles isn't really to my liking. I'd like to get 5-6000 out of a rear before I have to be troubled with replacing it.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 4:20 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

How in the heck are you guys/gals getting big mileage out of a rear tire. I have run Shinko 712, Avon Road Riders, Shinko 244's and no matter I'm lucky to get 3000 out of a rear.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 5:02 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

PerazziMx14 wrote:
How in the heck are you guys/gals getting big mileage out of a rear tire. I have run Shinko 712, Avon Road Riders, Shinko 244's and no matter I'm lucky to get 3000 out of a rear.

I'm not familiar with Shinko 712 or Avon Road Riders. Seems to me a road oriented rear tire should easily go beyond 5K miles.
I've run the Shinko 244. YES, 244 rear tire miles not great, I got 3,500 miles. It wasn't bald but clearly center worn. Mixed riding, but mostly ROAD riding on nasty twisty roads ridden at speed. Also, freeway miles at 70 mph ... which are a killer.

Lots depends on type of riding and road speed. Avon Distanzia and Michelin Anakee, I got over 5K miles on both. Distanzia a bit better than Anakee on longevity.

I got 2000-2500 miles on OEM Trail Wing rears. Best distance on a dual sport (50/50) tire so far is $60 Kenda K70 which went beyond 6,000 miles. :s_yes Sure, by 5000 center was squared off but still safe and performed OK, not great, just OK.

A good test of tire design is how well a tire works once worn down 80% of it's life. Some tires turn to crap handling wise at 50% worn, others go further.

Certain things wear tires quickly. Number one is SPEED. On long trips where I have to make rear tire last I keep highway speeds lower.
I normally ride at 70 mph (65 mph actual). On a LONG ride I drop that to 55 or 60 actual. Tire wear is really extended in my experience.

Like from 3500 mi. rear tire up over 5000 mi. In the old days when tires didn't last well guys in my riding group would totally wear out a NEW rear tire in a weekend. (under 2000 miles) This on sport bikes riding CA Highway 36 and other fast, twisty roads at speed. Tires are better now. But high speed and hard acceleration still will wear them early. :Roost:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 6:38 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

DR Grifter wrote:
PerazziMx14 wrote:

I'm not familiar with Shinko 712 or Avon Road Riders. Seems to me a road oriented rear tire should easily go beyond 5K miles.
I've run the Shinko 244. YES, 244 rear tire miles not great, I got 3,500 miles. It wasn't bald but clearly center worn. Mixed riding, but mostly ROAD riding on nasty twisty roads ridden at speed. Also, freeway miles at 70 mph ... which are a killer.

Lots depends on type of riding and road speed. Avon Distanzia and Michelin Anakee, I got over 5K miles on both. Distanzia a bit better than Anakee on longevity.

I got 2000-2500 miles on OEM Trail Wing rears. Best distance on a dual sport (50/50) tire so far is $60 Kenda K70 which went beyond 6,000 miles. :s_yes Sure, by 5000 center was squared off but still safe and performed OK, not great, just OK.

A good test of tire design is how well a tire works once worn down 80% of it's life. Some tires turn to crap handling wise at 50% worn, others go further.

Certain things wear tires quickly. Number one is SPEED. On long trips where I have to make rear tire last I keep highway speeds lower.
I normally ride at 70 mph (65 mph actual). On a LONG ride I drop that to 55 or 60 actual. Tire wear is really extended in my experience.

Like from 3500 mi. rear tire up over 5000 mi. In the old days when tires didn't last well guys in my riding group would totally wear out a NEW rear tire in a weekend. (under 2000 miles) This on sport bikes riding CA Highway 36 and other fast, twisty roads at speed. Tires are better now. But high speed and hard acceleration still will wear them early. :Roost:

I'll agree that being limp wristed on the throttle will make tires last longer but I think it actually has more to do with power pulse of a big bore single cylinder motor puts out. Coupled with a pumper carb that is fun to power out of through/turns the rear tires ain't got a chance. My DL650 with 20+ HP or Ducati 900ss with 40+ HP over the DR riding in the same manner on the same roads the rear tire will last easily twice as long. Yes the rear tires on the DL and 900 are a bit wider 150 and 160mm verses the 130 on the DR. The power delivery on the twins is much more smooth whereas the DR is on/off.

Rear tire wear is the main reason I gave up on the DR as my touring rig.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 7:56 pm 
MSF Student
MSF Student

I've put 350 miles on the rear Trailwing I got a couple weeks ago, and can already tell it's wearing. Like I said above, I'm older and easy on the throttle and it's still wearing rather quickly.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:00 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Front tires:
  • Stock Trailwing - 2,167 miles, showing very little wear
  • Shinko 244 - 4,715 miles. Still going strong. Tread depth is noticeably shallower in center, but far from worn
  • Kenda Parker - 1,062 miles. Looks great. Center rib knobbies rounded, but nothing like I anticipated. Good knobby on and off road
  • Kenda Southwick - 1,381 miles, plus some more on my YZ250. Very worn / squared off. Liked it off road, weird/terrible turn in on road. No more thank you.

Rear tires:
  • Stock Trailwing - 2,167 miles. Pretty well a stripe in the center
  • Shinko 244 - 3,610 miles. Probably would have gone longer, but was swapping from a knobby and didn't want to bother putting a near-dead tire back on.
  • Shinko 244 (#2) - 2,052 miles. Lots of life left. Ran flat on road and suffered major failure. Must have ran low for some time, tire was untouchable hot and smoking from everywhere.
  • Kenda Trekmaster - 1,416 miles. Seemed half worn by less than 500 miles. Then slowed majorly as the center flat widens and more knob area contacts the road.

Commuting is about 50/50 pavement/dirt-gravel. Pretty much all straight line, corners are intersections. Shinko 244 #2 was very square and loud, but an afternoon at Deal's Gap rounded it back off nicely. I was shocked the next day commuting how quiet it had become again.