www.DRRiders.com

A Dedicated Suzuki DR650 forum for DR650 riders to share their knowledge, experience and adventures!
It is currently Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:46 pm

DRRIDERS.COM Search - powered by Google

DRRIDERS Member Location Map

Place yourself on the map here!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:00 am 
SuperMoto Dude
SuperMoto Dude

Replaced OEM Bridgestone rear @ 3400 mi. Not much left.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:56 pm 

I've got an issue with front tires cupping real early. I can go through two fronts before replacing a rear. I'm currently using a kenda 270 on the rear and think I'm gonna keep that as a regular. Performs well on road and a little traction off. But didn't like the 270 front as I felt it was getting pushed around a little in the front. However, like I said, fronts are wearing fast due to cupping. I have a theory, I had one of my forks leaking and a guy put new seals and fluid in it but now I'm thinking I need to have them both done at the same time for it to true up, any thoughts? (also gives me an excuse to put better springs in the forks and replace the fluid)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:01 pm 
MSF Student
MSF Student

I have the Conti SM tires (older ones) and the front is good with 4k miles at 24psi and the rear has about another 500 maybe 800 miles left at 26psi (I'm supermoto 120f and 150r).

I'm going to replace the rear with the newer conti attack sm tire, seems like they last but I'm not sure how long on a DR650. I figure if I can get the summer on it, I'll be happy. Also, my riding is 100% street..no real dual sport riding in my area :-( I'm sure there are some areas but I haven't been able to ride as much as I'd like beyond commuting/some twisties as a detour.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:59 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

adlibgib wrote:
Kommando wrote:
BTW, I posted another youtube vid a few days ago of my 2nd additionally-grooved K761 with about 3K miles on it so far.

http://youtu.be/gk9DdMZmSi8

Just watched the Blue Pig video...I guess I'll stay away from deep sand with my Kenda shod DR. The only times I've been in the Ocala National Forest was for kayaking. Beautiful area!

:s_biggrin

My difficulties were more due to the front Shinko 244 and my lack of skill at not tracking straight enough to stay on the gas and get up to speed. With a front knobby swapped on, a handful of throttle, and a bit more sand experience, the K761 pushed the DR through everything I've ever attempted out in Ocala NF. I stand up a lot more now, and use more throttle. The DR doesn't have any real issue getting me around out there these days.

I got the DR stuck around here on the Spacecoast once with the K761, but it was in a soft-bottomed mud hole, sunk up to the fenders, and the bike tractored through for several hundred yards until the skid was dragging pretty bad. Then it dug itself in until I got concerned about submerging the air intake and hit the killswitch.

It was a long drag back to firm ground where I could turn it around...by myself, uncap the airbox drain, and fire it up to ride back out to terra firma. The whole time I was keeping one eye peeled for gators, cottonmouths, and snappers. :s_omg

Last edited by Kommando on Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:15 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

stratman48 wrote:
I've got an issue with front tires cupping real early. I can go through two fronts before replacing a rear. I'm currently using a kenda 270 on the rear and think I'm gonna keep that as a regular. Performs well on road and a little traction off. But didn't like the 270 front as I felt it was getting pushed around a little in the front. However, like I said, fronts are wearing fast due to cupping. I have a theory, I had one of my forks leaking and a guy put new seals and fluid in it but now I'm thinking I need to have them both done at the same time for it to true up, any thoughts? (also gives me an excuse to put better springs in the forks and replace the fluid)

Definitely dial in your forks' fluid and preload, but that isn't likely to be the issue. Proper springs can help. Check your bearings. Brake earlier and follow further back, as hard braking on pavement often wears fronts unevenly. Monitor your pressures too. With a tire like a K270, you can also remount it in the other direction to even the wear a bit. If you're first noticing funny wear at 2K miles, try reversing the tire every 1K miles.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:42 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

A fork upgrade is a huge help, just putting in the correct springs for your weight will work wonders. My .50 springs are a little soft for my set up, but I can still get 8,000 miles out of a front tire like a TKC or a Shinko 700 before the cupping bothers me or its too thin. 705 or anakee fronts will make it to 10/12K or so. I run loaded with camping gear most of the time. With stock springs and a safari tank my TKC fronts were done at 4500 miles due to cupping. .50 springs alone reduced the cupping greatly. Cheap and easy to do. Make sure you get the right weight rating! When I bought mine only had the .47 and .50 options... Not anymore! Race Tech to the rescue... :s_cool

Sale pending / 2007 with Protaper CR Highs, Moose Hand Guards, Procycle bar end spacers and 1" risers, 699 Pro Grips, Safari Tank, Corbin +1", TM-40, Twin-Air, GSXR Exhaust, BBQ Rack, Dual Star Plate, Moose Shift Lever, Magnetic Drain Plug, Center Stand, HID 35 watt Headlight, Lowerd Pegs, Heated Grips, Spitfire, .50/8.3 springs, Pelican 1550 top case...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:35 pm 
MSF Student
MSF Student

I wonder what rear to buy for coming spring - Mitas E09 or Maxxis 6006.
My concerns are about wet pavement. Both are prone to slide on wet.
I want a tire as agressive as possible with good road traction and good mileage.
I know best is Pirelli MT21 but its expensive and low mileage.
No Kenda, IRC, D606 here.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:13 pm 
Single Tracker
Single Tracker

Just replaced the MEFO Sport Explorer tires I had on the DR. Replaced both front and rear with Michelin T63's. The MEFO's had about 3850 miles on them, and could probably have gone another 500 miles or so. The front was pretty cupped, but the rear wore well.

90 Honda Hawk GT
82 Honda CB900F
79 Honda CBX

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:57 pm 
Single Tracker
Single Tracker

Went for a first ride on the T63's today (pavement only). As expected, they are much slower turning than the MEFO Explorers, and feel pretty "knobbly" at slow speeds. When you get up to about 50 MPH, they howl pretty loudly. Definitely not as good a street tire as the MEFO's, but then they're not supposed to be. For the price, I think I'll be pretty happy. Can't wait to get them offroad.

90 Honda Hawk GT
82 Honda CB900F
79 Honda CBX

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:42 pm 
SuperMoto Dude
SuperMoto Dude

Just get off road quick, before the T63s wear down too much. The hardtop is eating mine away pretty fast.

HC piston mated with 223 Cam grind, TM40 Carb, Busa muff with oversized mid and header pipe and
EVO battery

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next