www.DRRiders.com

A Dedicated Suzuki DR650 forum for DR650 riders to share their knowledge, experience and adventures!
It is currently Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:49 pm

DRRIDERS.COM Search - powered by Google

DRRIDERS Member Location Map

Place yourself on the map here!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please post a concise description of the product in the subject line so other members will have an easier time locating the info they seek. No Hijacking or off topic discussions will be allowed to keep the info short and to the point. All opinions are welcome from members having experience with the subject line product.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:54 am 
Member Servant
Member Servant

Now that I've been testing the EVO2 lithium battery for a couple months I feel I can give a relatively informed opinion on it... I think it's a great improvement over the standard lead-acid battery. Time will tell if the $150 price will turn out to be economically sound, but as long as Ballistic honors the 3 year warranty (Revielle can testify to that) and the battery lasts it's extimated 8 to 10 year lifespan, I'll be more than happy with it. :s_thumbsup

So far it's never failed to crank the starter strongly, even in 20 degree (F) temps. Though it does tend to crank a little slower, it's hardly noticable and it makes up for it in endurance... it will crank for much longer than the OEM would. Also, the recovery charging time is amazing... I left the lights on one night and completely drained the battery. Upon push-starting the next morning (fired up instantly) I rode to the highway and back (about a 1/4 mile) and the battery was already charged enough to crank the starter over nicely.

I have a 'Wye-to-Delta' modded stator with OEM regulator, while running my voltmeter continuously reads around 13.80v, and 13.20v with the lights on regardless of rpms.

The most significant improvement is the weight savings. The battery weighs under 2 lbs, compared to the OEM weight of over 10 lbs that's a significant difference considering the location under the seat. I've noticed a definite improvement in my DR's handling, not to mention how much easier it is to pick the bike up after a dirt nap. :whistling:

Ballistic EVO

Specs
Dimensions: 112MM (L) x 60MM (W) x 103MM (H)
Positive Terminal Location: Left
Weight: 825 grams (1.81 lb)
Voltage (Charged): 13.6V
Amperage: 15 Pbeq A/H
Cold Cranking Amps: 275 CCA
Operating Environment: -18°C (0°F) to 60°C (140°F)
8 Cell EVO 2 (101-003) - $159.99

Quote:
Product Description

Your powersports vehicle is the pinnacle of modern technology. It is made with the latest lightweight, high tech materials to be the most high performance vehicle on the road, lake, track or trail. You have modified your powersports vehicle with the best in carbon fiber, titanium, and magnesium in an effort to gain every last ounce of performance. Yet, under your seat is a heavy hunk of lead that was designed in the mid 1800’s.

Ballistic Performance Component Batteries use the latest, state of the art lithium ferrous energy storage technology available to provide you with a smaller, lighter, higher energy battery. Each Ballistic Performance Component Battery is assembled by hand in the USA using computer designed custom proprietary cells, cases, and hardware. As a result, Ballistic Performance Component Batteries will provide more energy out of a smaller package while requiring almost no regular maintenance and under most conditions a longer service life than existing lead acid batteries. A Ballistic Performance Components EVO2 Battery is significantly smaller and lighter than the OEM battery. We supply foam in the packaging to make up the difference between the size of the battery and the size of the OEM battery box, but some modification may still be required. All equivalency charts and applications guides are based strictly on battery performance, not size or terminal location.

Up to 80% smaller than the stock battery
Up to 10lbs lighter than the stock battery
Service life of over twice a lead acid in similar conditions
Industry leading 3 year warranty
Designed, developed, and assembled in the USA
Hard mounted brass terminals for a direct replacement installation
Completely “dry” technology so batteries can be mounted in any direction
Non-toxic, recyclable, and can be air shipped
Tested extensively by professional race teams
Impact and water resistant
No special charger required (Optimate 4 Dual Program, or any charger with a desulfation mode, not recommended)
No trickle charger required, loses only 10% of charge over a year of static use

The 8 Cell EVO2 model is our primary product. The 8 Cell model will work with everything from 450cc MX bikes to 1000cc multi-cylinder motorcycles. This battery is robust, impact resistant, water resistant, and has more starting punch than 90% of all the powersports lead-acid batteries available. Most motorcycles in this range use an OEM battery that weighs up to 10.7lbs. The 8 Cell Ballistic Performance Components EVO2 Battery weighs a little over 1.5lbs. That is a weight savings of 9.3lbs for less than $160!

Compaisons to the OEM lead-acid battery:

Installation: I decided to remove the stock battery box altogether for even more weight savings, and to really clean up things under the seat:
I cut 2 small slits near the bottom of the airbox on the back side, just big enough to push the heavy-duty zipties through:

The EVO2 is very securely mounted to the back of th airbox. Because it's so light there's not much inertial mass stressing the airbox.

I also had room to mount the electrical componemst on the inside of the frame instead of outside under the right sidecover. The relay is actually mounted on one of the zipties.

I found my EVO2 on Amazon for $141.50 shipped from Mueller Motorwerks in Wisconsin, I see now there are several available from different suppliers:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/ ... dition=new

In summary I highly recommend the Ballistic EVO2 8-Cell Lithium battery to anyone wishing to upgrade to a lighter set-up and a worry-free battery that should last twice as long as the OEM lead-acid battery. :s_thumbsup

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:16 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Thanks for providing all of the info on this setup. I will be installing my Evo2 tomorrow. I plan remove the battery box also and fasten the Evo2 to the airbox with heavy duty zipties. Just curious, what was your reason for moving the electrical components?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:25 am 
Member Servant
Member Servant

One reason was the bracket on the right side used to be partly attached to the battery cage. The other is that I might replace my stock sidecovers in the near future with my own fabrications which will be closer fitting flush to the frame struts, in anticipation of this I needed the electrical components farther inboard of the frame rails. Just trying to think ahead. :pardon:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:02 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

With that protective bar removed between the battery and seat, do you think the seat will rub or rupture the battery?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:22 pm 
Member Servant
Member Servant

It's hard to tell in the pics, but the EVO2 is nestled down farther than it looks. The clearance between the seat pan and the top of the battery is a good 1" or so.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:57 am 
Single Tracker
Single Tracker

Looks like you opened up your airbox and the blocked it halfway off again with the foam! You ride in real dusty conditions?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:01 am 
Member Servant
Member Servant

Extremely dirty conditions, leaving my house I can't get to a paved road without riding loose gravel on hardpack, big cloud of dust behind me. That's why all the pics of my DR show a layer of gritty reddish dirt all over. :whistling:
The foam is a 3/4" open-cell block stuck in the top, also helps prevent junk from falling down in there. :biggrin:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:05 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Got mine installed Saturday. Removed the battery box and used heavy duty zip ties to mount it to the airbox. I got the zipties off ebay, they are crazy. 20" long and .5" wide. Thats a heavy-duty zip tie! Worked great. I paid $8 shipped for 25. Between the stock battery, battery box, and all the bolts that were removed, there is some serious weight loss there. Very noticeable when getting off and on the bike.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:27 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

+1 on the noticable weight loss. You will really notice it when you have the pick up the old girl off the ground. :good: Heck I bet someone could even pick it up with a broken arm. :whistling:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:47 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Hopefully I won't have to pick it up off the ground often, only done it twice so far! It wasn't bad those times, but I guess I still have youth on my side for the time being.

Oh and for anyone worrying about the battery making contact with the seat pan, it won't happen. I can look up under the seat with the side panels off and there is at LEAST a full inch of clearance. The seat pan can't ever touch the battery.

Also, like you I got rid of some of the metal brackets that were used to mount some of the electrical bits to the battery box, and zip tied them in place instead. Saved a little more weight that way. Like you said, once the battery box is gone the electrical brackets are useless anyway.

As far as battery performance, I can't complain yet. Seems to crank over just as well as the stock battery. The only extra load I have on the charging system is heated grips.

I like using ebay so I ponied up an extra $1.50 and bought it from this seller for $142.89 shipped. I got $2.86 in ebay bucks so it was really $140.03 shipped. Ordered 4/2 received 4/4. Pretty good service!!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/180850276917?_t ... 002wt_1139

Last edited by Motodeficient on Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:05 am, edited 6 times in total.