www.DRRiders.com

A Dedicated Suzuki DR650 forum for DR650 riders to share their knowledge, experience and adventures!
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:03 pm

DRRIDERS.COM Search - powered by Google

DRRIDERS Member Location Map

Place yourself on the map here!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please post a concise description of the product in the subject line so other members will have an easier time locating the info they seek. No Hijacking or off topic discussions will be allowed to keep the info short and to the point. All opinions are welcome from members having experience with the subject line product.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:06 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Well this is a long term review of my experience with Ballistic batteries. 20 months ago I purchased a new Ballistic Evo2 8 cell battery for approx $150. I was very pleased initially with the size, performance and weight of the battery. Shortly after installing it, about 2 months of use, I began experiencing random electrical issues that ended up being an internal defect of the EVO2. Some of you here may remember the thread> topic3389.html
I promptly returned the defective battery to Ballistic (shipping I paid) and they verified that it was indeed defective and sent me a replacement a week later. At this point I was still happy with the product and support. Unfortunately the replacement EVO2 self destructed exactly as the last one nearly leaving me stranded in the woods. I was able to keep the bike running keeping the engine vibes low and limp back to camp. I was 190 miles into a 210 mile loop and had to plot a straight line back. Since I had been burned by these batteries before I had a good idea where to start the trouble shooting. Anyways I just shipped off the second defective EVO2 to Ballistic and they called me Monday stating that the battery was indeed defective (Duuuhh) and they could ship me a replacement for the low price of $78 plus shipping :s_omg After the first year they pro rate the warranty. I old them that I was done with their company and would just cut my losses at this point. :s_mad They happily replied, OK. WTF? So I can no longer under good conscience recommend these batteries. Fool me once, shame on me. Fool me twice, well you know the rest. :whistling:
I did some research and it seems that EarthX batteries seem good and they don't pro rate their warranty. I hope those of you that have the Ballistic EVO2's don't have the luck I had with mine. :s_sad

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:53 am 
Single Tracker
Single Tracker

I know this is an old thread, but does anyone else have any input about lightweight batteries? I've read a lot of reviews of them and some people seem to have problems with them not lasting very long. I'd love to lose a few pounds off the pig, but not if it affects reliability.

Has anyone had theirs for a few years?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:32 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

I have been using high end ( non-Chinese ) assembled Li batteries for years in my track bikes. I think they last incredibly long IF they never become discharged. They do exhibit low output in cold weather, require special chargers (unless they are "on-board"). Improper handling can result in catastrophic failure and impressive, difficult to extinguish fires.

They have really high power to weight ratios. I am going to try one in my DR, now that I am familiar with the short comings. I have one in our KLX250. If I were doing an adventure type trip where I was away from help and civilization, I would have a conventional or AGM battery, no doubt.