www.DRRiders.com

A Dedicated Suzuki DR650 forum for DR650 riders to share their knowledge, experience and adventures!
It is currently Tue May 23, 2017 10:19 pm

DRRIDERS.COM Search - powered by Google

DRRIDERS Member Location Map

Place yourself on the map here!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please post a concise description of the product in the subject line so other members will have an easier time locating the info they seek. No Hijacking or off topic discussions will be allowed to keep the info short and to the point. All opinions are welcome from members having experience with the subject line product.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:56 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Hopefully I won't have to pick it up off the ground often, only done it twice so far! It wasn't bad those times, but I guess I still have youth on my side for the time being.

In tight woods, it is. It sometimes took 2-3 people to get it out of ditches/mud holes. Any savings on weight on the DR is awesome. Good review DD

2007 DR650 SuperMoto with almost all the goodies..(it never ends ya know!)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:19 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

I know it can be a bear to pick up in certain situations and depending on your size. I am 6'0 200 lbs, the couple of times I have had to pick my bike up, it wasn't at all difficult.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:43 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

If anyone is interested, here is a link to the heavy-duty zip ties that I fastened the battery to the airbox with. I think if I had sourced these locally they would cost a good bit more. Plus I have 23 extras now.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 054wt_1270

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:52 am 
Member Servant
Member Servant

I found mine at Lowes and they were a bit more than you paid, maybe not as wide as yours tho... do you have any pics of your set-up?

Those big zipties are good to have in the woods. If you have a flat and no patch kit or spare tube, you can use 5 or 6 of them to zip-tie the tire to the wheel and ride out without the tire coming off the rim. Strange but true. :biggrin:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:57 pm 
SuperMoto Dude
SuperMoto Dude

How have the EVO2's held up over the winter so far?

HC piston mated with 223 Cam grind, TM40 Carb, Busa muff with oversized mid and header pipe and
EVO battery

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:41 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Dr Sea wrote:
How have the EVO2's held up over the winter so far?

Well I live in the heart of the cold climate and have been lucky enough to keep riding every couple of weeks and my EVO has been working good. When the battery is cold the starter turns over slower than normal at first but it always starts. Hope this helps :dunno:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:34 pm 
SuperMoto Dude
SuperMoto Dude

Good to know cold isn't a real problem with the Lithium technology. One more question though: If it discharges down all the way for whatever reason, is it toast? And will the warranty cover that?

HC piston mated with 223 Cam grind, TM40 Carb, Busa muff with oversized mid and header pipe and
EVO battery

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:37 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Dr Sea wrote:
Good to know cold isn't a real problem with the Lithium technology. One more question though: If it discharges down all the way for whatever reason, is it toast? And will the warranty cover that?

They don't do well in cold and barely get by. If it discharges completely the manufactures claim it can severely damage the battery but Lithium batteries don't loose their charge as quickly as convention lead acid batteries so you would really have to neglect it for a long time to run it flat. Luckily I haven't had to experience that problem yet...

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:19 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

It's not an immediate concern because my OEM-battery is still new (2012) but I've considered a Lithium-battery as a replacement (whenever the time comes) already . I just wonder about the longevity (regardless of the manufacturers claims) . --- The rechargeable Lithium-Ion batteries (AA) , I use in my camera , aren't worth a s**t ; they lose power within weeks . According to Panasonic they should retain 85-90% of their capacity for at least 1 year (if left dormant) . I'd paid ~ $47 for 4 of them :s_mad --- Figuring that it could have been a fluke (old stock???) I was stupid enough to gamble on a second set . The guy at Lowes had assured me that they were fresh ; --- the result was the same ! --- It doesn't take long to recharge them , but ------? --- Judging by what some EXPERTS told me , Lithium-batteries start aging (and losing capacity) the instant they are manufactured , whether they are being used or not ; this loss in performance is permanent (???) . --- I realize that AA and motorcycle-batteries aren't the same but apparently employ the same chemical make-up . --- Unless the OEM-battery out-lives me I'll probably look at Lithiums again but currently I'm a bit "gun-shy" ! :s_dunno :old:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:31 am 
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

I do have one question for you if you where to sit this battery all the way to one side would you fit there smaller battery in there as well.

The Ballistic 4 cell EVO2 100-010 which is 60mm x 60mm x 103nn AS what im thinking is running 2 battery's the main one to start the bike and the second small one to run my aux's ie vector dash, GPS cig charger aux lights you know things that would normally drain the main battery.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next