www.DRRiders.com

A Dedicated Suzuki DR650 forum for DR650 riders to share their knowledge, experience and adventures!
It is currently Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:59 am

DRRIDERS.COM Search - powered by Google

DRRIDERS Member Location Map

Place yourself on the map here!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 8:51 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Also as mxrob pointed out on another thread, the intake valves should be adjusted on the tight end and the exhaust valves should be adjusted on the loose end.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 9:22 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Also as mxrob pointed out on another thread, the intake valves should be adjusted on the tight end and the exhaust valves should be adjusted on the loose end.

Thanks for mentioning this. What is this recommendation based on, max power? Engine safety?

I should shoot for maybe .08mm for intake and .22mm for exhaust?

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 2:28 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Anyone? Just curious about the reasoning for setting the intake valves on the tight side and exhaust valves on the loose side.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 2:54 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Motodeficient wrote:
Anyone?

My guess is to keep the noisy valves at a minimum. The exhaust valve clearances tend to tighten with time while the intake valve clearances tend to loosen with time.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:09 am 
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

Go Irish, thanks for posting this. I do have one question I hope you can answer. Below, there are specs on the Oil filter cover, I have the stock, 2009, and I'm confused as to which torque to use? Isn't our stock oil filter cover alum, or is it magnesium? I've already stripped out one hole, and don't want to do that again. Bought a small torque wrench from harbor freight, seems cheap, but hoping it'll do the job.
Thanks

[quote="Go Irish75"]Maybe some mod can make this a sticky, but I saw this over on ADV and thought I would pass along these handy common used torque specs and it may save some people time and headaches searching for some.

Oil filter cover – 8flbs (96 in) stock – 4ft (48in) with motorcycle parts alum cover "

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:55 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Hey drz, if you're running the stock set up, go with the 8 foot pounds. That 4 foot pounds is for the guys that run the aftermarket covers that protect the oil fitter cover. Those look like this:
http://www.motorcycleproducts.org/Engine_Guards/DR650SE_Guards/clutchguard640x480.jpg

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:52 pm 
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:13 pm 
MSF Student
MSF Student

Does anyone know the torque for the oil cooler to the oil cooler guard?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:44 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

The cooler guard,as in the mesh screen protecting it, is just Phillips (JIS) head screws threaded into welded on threaded holes on the shroud, just crank them tight as hell, they won't have a torque spec. Kindalike asking what the torque spec is for a side panel cover. Blue loc tite is always wise when putting these things back together, since the DR is a giant vibrator. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:47 pm 
MSF Student
MSF Student

Go Irish75 wrote:
The cooler guard,as in the mesh screen protecting it, is just Phillips (JIS) head screws threaded into welded on threaded holes on the shroud, just crank them tight as hell, they won't have a torque spec. Kindalike asking what the torque spec is for a side panel cover. Blue loc tite is always wise when putting these things back together, since the DR is a giant vibrator. :lol:

Thanks but I was thinking of the mount / guard. The black tube that mounts to the frame and guards the oil cooler in case the bike falls

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next