www.DRRiders.com

A Dedicated Suzuki DR650 forum for DR650 riders to share their knowledge, experience and adventures!
It is currently Sat May 27, 2017 2:16 am

DRRIDERS.COM Search - powered by Google

DRRIDERS Member Location Map

Place yourself on the map here!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1185 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 119  Next
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:46 pm 
Member Servant
Member Servant

The much discussed GSXR exhaust system has a huge following within the DR650 ranks. It was suggested that we merge many separate posts concerning this Mod to one stickied post. So here it is! We will put all the information we can find about the system in this one thread. Should only take a year or two to go through it all. :lurk:

mxrob's original GSXR exhaust system post on ThumperTalk.

mxrob's GSXR exhaust system info for the DR650 on his web site.

Jesse at Kientech.com carries a great mid-pipe kit that has the mounting plate welded to it. I used this and it really worked great.
http://www.kientech.com/DR650GSXRExaust.htm

Check Craigslist or a GSXR club/forum to find one of the 2001 - 2002 titanium ones. I used http://www.allofcraigslist.com/ to search all of Craigslist, not just local. I found one a state away and gladly paid for the shipping.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 1:25 pm 
Single Tracker
Single Tracker

Will doing this mod require all the carb work and jetting? My bike is stock. I don't want to open a can of worms here...

Those who say, "it's not what you ride but THAT you ride" do not ride DRs!!!!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:26 pm 
Member Servant
Member Servant

No, the restriction of the stock air box is the first bottle neck. Leaving that as is relegates the GSXR system to merely a weight savings. Not a bad thing obviously. OK, it will sound better. 8-)

Post subject: SCORE! GSX-R1000 muffler
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:19 am 
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

Picked one up today. $20 cash. It has a minor dent and scuff that will be covered by the number plate. Mid pipe will be here at the end of the week and the spark arrester should arrive any day now. Yeah, this is the Ti version from 2001.
I'll report on how a typical garage monkey gets this done.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:53 am 

Hey I have one sitting in my Garage for more than a few months now. The cost of the mid pipe is discouraging for me :shok: . Which midpipe are you getting?

Please post the details with the prices and pics if possible. May be I will get inspired to too. :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:29 pm 
Member Servant
Member Servant

Still costs a lot less than buying a TB or Q4 system... and it's better! :good:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:30 pm 
Member Servant
Member Servant

greenlizard wrote:
Picked one up today. $20 cash. It has a minor dent and scuff that will be covered by the number plate. Mid pipe will be here at the end of the week and the spark arrester should arrive any day now. Yeah, this is the Ti version from 2001.
I'll report on how a typical garage monkey gets this done.

Congrats! :clapping: They are getting harder to find.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:04 pm 
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

Hey I have one sitting in my Garage for more than a few months now. The cost of the mid pipe is discouraging for me :shok: . Which midpipe are you getting?

Please post the details with the prices and pics if possible. May be I will get inspired to too. :roll:

I ordered the Keintech pre-welded mid-pipe kit. Getting everything matched from one source seemed like the best way to go for someone like me whose welding skills are poor. Also ordered the FMF spark arrestor from Dennis Kirk.

Looks like the total costs will be under $300. I already have a die grinder with a couple of carbide burrs to work on the header weld, although small grinders can be had at Harbor Freight for $9.99, no kidding. The muffler end cap bolts are tack welded in place so I'll try a Dremel cutting wheel on the tack welds to get the bolts free to allow installation of the spark arrestor.

It will be at least this weekend before I can get to it, even if my parts arrive before then. I'll try to document my steps and post pictures when I do it. Well, unless it all turns to crap and I feel the need to slink away in shame...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:45 pm 
Member Servant
Member Servant

The muffler end cap bolts are tack welded in place so I'll try a Dremel cutting wheel on the tack welds to get the bolts free to allow installation of the spark arrestor.

Being the lazy mechanic that I am, I don't think I bothered with popping the welds and trimming the inner pipe.
I just put the spark arrestor in and drilled a hole through the bottom of the pipe to line up with the hole in the arrestor. Then ran the mounting screw all the way through. It sticks out a touch but still looks good in my opinion. (mxrob is a professional and likes things to look good, so his tutorial goes all the way. I am a lazy old fart!)

MXROB's pictorial, tutorial: http://docs.google.com/a/mxrob.com/pres ... 68fdsm79hf

ryde4ever's lazy way of doing the spark arrestor. It still seals tightly, but it just pokes out a bit. It's an outtie instead of an innie. :lol:

Slideshow of what I did: http://s179.photobucket.com/albums/w282 ... 9aa970.pbw

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:56 pm 
Member Servant
Member Servant

Hey, that works too. :smile:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1185 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 119  Next