www.DRRiders.com

A Dedicated Suzuki DR650 forum for DR650 riders to share their knowledge, experience and adventures!
It is currently Wed May 24, 2017 3:33 pm

DRRIDERS.COM Search - powered by Google

DRRIDERS Member Location Map

Place yourself on the map here!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1185 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 115, 116, 117, 118, 119  Next
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:40 am 

Any easy simple way to make an x35F1x muffler a bit louder?

Attachments:
IMG_20161224_190811 (2) (Large).jpg
IMG_20161224_190811 (2) (Large).jpg [ 314.26 KiB | Viewed 270 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:42 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Sure, buy a DG can and sell the 35...

OK, so what's the speed of dark?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:29 pm 
MSF Student
MSF Student

got_the_bug wrote:
mxrob,

Thanks for the explanation and pictures. So, in short, I may be able to use the stock mounting tab on the muffler, but spacers may be necessary to not tweak the mid-pipe, keep the system properly aligned, and keep the tab at the right angle.

However, the muffler still extends beyond the license plate, which is a bit further than I'd like. Has anyone shortened the ProCycle mid-pipe? Is it just a matter off cutting a couple inches off the pipe after the frame mounting point before it butts into the flange (circled)?

"got the bug", how did your project turn out? I'm also working on mounting up a 40F0 muffler using the ProCycle midpipe, and also curious about shortening it. But looks like the muffler end of the midpipe is widened and then necks back down to a slightly smaller diameter about 1.5" in. So if you cut two inches off the muffler end of the midpipe in an effort to shorten the overall length, you'd lose that widened part and I'm guessing you then wouldn't be able to fit the connecter into the shortened midpipe...

ExWrench wrote up a shortening he did for a Hayabusa muffler paired with ProCycle midpipe, but that involved some metalwork beyond my skillset: http://drriders.com/topic16051.html#p180434

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:07 am 
Member Servant
Member Servant

fratercula wrote:
got_the_bug wrote:
mxrob,

Thanks for the explanation and pictures. So, in short, I may be able to use the stock mounting tab on the muffler, but spacers may be necessary to not tweak the mid-pipe, keep the system properly aligned, and keep the tab at the right angle.

However, the muffler still extends beyond the license plate, which is a bit further than I'd like. Has anyone shortened the ProCycle mid-pipe? Is it just a matter off cutting a couple inches off the pipe after the frame mounting point before it butts into the flange (circled)?

"got the bug", how did your project turn out? I'm also working on mounting up a 40F0 muffler using the ProCycle midpipe, and also curious about shortening it. But looks like the muffler end of the midpipe is widened and then necks back down to a slightly smaller diameter about 1.5" in. So if you cut two inches off the muffler end of the midpipe in an effort to shorten the overall length, you'd lose that widened part and I'm guessing you then wouldn't be able to fit the connecter into the shortened midpipe...

ExWrench wrote up a shortening he did for a Hayabusa muffler paired with ProCycle midpipe, but that involved some metalwork beyond my skillset: http://drriders.com/topic16051.html#p180434

Either buy a pipe expander from your local autoparts store or just visit a muffler shop bringing the cut down mid-pipe and slip-on muffler adapter. They can have the pipe expanded and fitting the adapter quickly. :good:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:24 pm 
MSF Student
MSF Student

mxrob, thank you for good advice and especially for keeping it going over the years and with variations on the same questions :RTFM :s_smile

did as you suggested, took my midpipe and muffler adapter to local exhaust shop here in Seattle and 30 minutes later had close to 2 inches shorter overall setup, moving the 40FO position from "jeez that is kind of dorky-looking and cumbersome" to "hmm, not bad".

now just need to finish the midpipe install along with a few other things, looking forward to sparking it up and enjoying the change from the thunderous DG can that came with the bike :Roost:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:57 am 
Member Servant
Member Servant

fratercula wrote:
mxrob, thank you for good advice and especially for keeping it going over the years and with variations on the same questions :RTFM :s_smile

did as you suggested, took my midpipe and muffler adapter to local exhaust shop here in Seattle and 30 minutes later had close to 2 inches shorter overall setup, moving the 40FO position from "jeez that is kind of dorky-looking and cumbersome" to "hmm, not bad".

now just need to finish the midpipe install along with a few other things, looking forward to sparking it up and enjoying the change from the thunderous DG can that came with the bike :Roost:

:clapping: Great! The 40F0 is the best sounding pipe on the DR650 IMO. It loses none of the "I'm a big bore thumper" deep rich sound (in fact it's even meaner sounding) while getting rid of the loud crack/rap sound of the straight through systems. I've had both of the DG's (round and oval), FMF Q2 and Two Brothers M7 all of which sound great it idle and part throttle but are just too loud when you crank open the throttle.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:06 pm 
MSF Student
MSF Student

ok, yet another gsxr 40F0 conversion, in my case from DG O-series muffler, is done... took my bike for a ride yesterday; runs strong and you're spot-on in how you describe the sound change; GSXR is so much calmer than the former straight-through DG muffler, but still sounding 'thumpy' and not at all boring :Roost:

Bet the neighbors and locals appreciate it too

thanks again mxrob and all the other pioneers and contributors to this quality home-grown mod for our DRs :drinks:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:30 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

DRAK wrote:
Any easy simple way to make an x35F1x muffler a bit louder?

Sure. I'll swap you a nice polished aluminium Hindle with genuine Hindle noise reducer for your 35F

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:42 am 
Member Servant
Member Servant

fratercula wrote:
ok, yet another gsxr 40F0 conversion, in my case from DG O-series muffler, is done... took my bike for a ride yesterday; runs strong and you're spot-on in how you describe the sound change; GSXR is so much calmer than the former straight-through DG muffler, but still sounding 'thumpy' and not at all boring :Roost:

Bet the neighbors and locals appreciate it too

thanks again mxrob and all the other pioneers and contributors to this quality home-grown mod for our DRs :drinks:

:drinks: It's looking good and I know it's sounding good! :2_thumbsup:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:26 pm 
MSF Student
MSF Student

Built a mid-pipe and installed a 35 on mine over the winter! Runs and sounds great! I found an FMF SA insert that is an ummm, "Interference fit" with a dead-blow hammer and a block of wood. Fit TIGHT, but I added a pop rivet just to make sure. Just added the stock heat shield to it over the weekend too by drilling and tapping some 1/2 round aluminum stand offs and welding them to the can.

Attachments:
dr4.jpg
dr4.jpg [ 157.74 KiB | Viewed 60 times ]
dr3.jpg
dr3.jpg [ 319.79 KiB | Viewed 60 times ]
dr-2.jpg
dr-2.jpg [ 272.29 KiB | Viewed 60 times ]
20160722_172756.jpg
20160722_172756.jpg [ 820.48 KiB | Viewed 60 times ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1185 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 115, 116, 117, 118, 119  Next