www.DRRiders.com

A Dedicated Suzuki DR650 forum for DR650 riders to share their knowledge, experience and adventures!
It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:12 pm

DRRIDERS.COM Search - powered by Google

DRRIDERS Member Location Map

Place yourself on the map here!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1187 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119  Next
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 7:36 pm 
Member Servant
Member Servant

Nogoodnamesleft wrote:
mxrob wrote:
Nogoodnamesleft wrote:
Got a big trip to MotoGP around 3700 miles coming up, ranging from 0 to 7300 feet, and really like the stock bst for handling all heights and temps without tuning.

Vacuum slide carbs can't "self adjust" for altitude or temperature. The reason that myth got started is because most stock vacuum carbs are pretty lean from the factory. Keep it stock and each time you return to the nose bleed mountains it will run better and better as the white plastic needle spacer wears. :s_biggrin

Stock setup has worked great for all my travels around Australia, highest, lowest, hottest and coldest, so I new that stock jetting would be fine and a smart man would not touch it before another big trip.

But only living a short ride from Auscanvet...
Well..
lets just say front tyre mileage is well improved for my upcoming trip..

Jetting seems bang on atm, but no real mountains near me.
There's always an airbox hole that can be taped up or a airbox sidecover that can come off.
But I reckon it's on the money.
I never used to believe in magic.. But i think it's real now..

:good:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:08 am 

I've scored a 40F0 replacement for a 35F0 the PO installed on my bike. It seems he used the ProCycle GSXR mid-pipe kit to install the 35F0, which includes the band to hang the muffler. I'd prefer to use the mounting tab of the 40F0, rather than remove it and use the band. It looks like the tab is in the right place, although maybe the spacers in the ProCycle kit are necessary to keep it aligned properly. Anyone have input who may have tried this? I saw a post from EddiePA who stated he drilled a new hole in the tab, but I don't see it from his pictures. The hole seems to line up perfectly, it's the fact that the muffler might be pulled too far into the path of the rear wheel that I'm concerned about.

Attachments:
dr650_35F0.JPG
dr650_35F0.JPG [ 1.44 MiB | Viewed 362 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:06 am 
Member Servant
Member Servant

There is no tire clearance issues using the stock GSXR tab. The issue may be that the offset of the midpipe won't allow you to use the unspaced tab. You don't want to be putting inward strain on the muffler/mid-pipe if that would be the case. I would make sure the muffler tab freely makes it to the frame mount without any tweaking force needing to be applied. The next concern is the angle at which it hits the frame mount. If PC's midpipe places the front of the muffler out too far it will not allow the tab to sit flush on the frame.... again, you don't want any kind of tweaking going on is the mounting of your system. Might take some tinkering to get everything aligned.

On my 99 I moved the tab on the 40F0 because the goal in building the mid-pipe was to move the muffler as far forward as possible.

On my 05 I left the tab in the original position but made an offset bracket to extend the hanging point further forward. In either case I don't recommend metal to metal contact on the tab. I used large rubber washers on both sides of the tab and bored the hole slightly to allow a thick o-ring to be used to isolate the bolt from contacting the tab. The higher vibration levels of the DR650 (compared to the GSXR) can work harden the aluminum and cause fatigue cracks.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:13 pm 

mxrob,

Thanks for the explanation and pictures. So, in short, I may be able to use the stock mounting tab on the muffler, but spacers may be necessary to not tweak the mid-pipe, keep the system properly aligned, and keep the tab at the right angle.

However, the muffler still extends beyond the license plate, which is a bit further than I'd like. Has anyone shortened the ProCycle mid-pipe? Is it just a matter off cutting a couple inches off the pipe after the frame mounting point before it butts into the flange (circled)?

Attachments:
dr650_mid (Medium).JPG
dr650_mid (Medium).JPG [ 171.61 KiB | Viewed 336 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:40 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Another option is to weld a another mount to the frame:

I've found that the muffler moves back about 2 mm when hot and that rubber mounting is essential longer term for reliability. The mount in this pic is a stock one, but I've also made them up using rubber tap washers, choices.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:25 pm 
Member Servant
Member Servant

got_the_bug wrote:
mxrob,

Thanks for the explanation and pictures. So, in short, I may be able to use the stock mounting tab on the muffler, but spacers may be necessary to not tweak the mid-pipe, keep the system properly aligned, and keep the tab at the right angle.

However, the muffler still extends beyond the license plate, which is a bit further than I'd like. Has anyone shortened the ProCycle mid-pipe? Is it just a matter off cutting a couple inches off the pipe after the frame mounting point before it butts into the flange (circled)?

As long as there is still straight pipe to cut off... the spring loaded flange isn't going to like a curved pipe. Just move the spring attachment loops forward as required. I actually bored the hole in my flanges at the angle required to allow the flange to move down the curve of my mid-pipes as far as I could get them to and still remain level with the muffler mounting surface.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:34 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Come on Pro-cycle, make a better midpipe! Should be a full three inches forward! Also once in place weld the seam!

"Sold" 2011 DR650 GSXR #24, drilled slide, cut spring, modified stock needle, with cut air box, air assist forks, lowered pegs, stock tank,15-41. Still love working on them!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:38 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Come on Pro-cycle, make a better midpipe! Should be a full three inches forward! Also once in place weld the seam!
I do not make it. I have no control over the design of the mid pipe. If I had them made to my spec they would be 50% more expensive. That's a recipe for no sales. I only make the adapter.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:48 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

ProCycle wrote:
Auscanvet wrote:
I do not make it. I have no control over the design of the mid pipe. If I had them made to my spec they would be 50% more expensive. That's a recipe for no sales. I only make the adapter.

Sorry, should have known!!

"Sold" 2011 DR650 GSXR #24, drilled slide, cut spring, modified stock needle, with cut air box, air assist forks, lowered pegs, stock tank,15-41. Still love working on them!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:29 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1187 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119  Next