www.DRRiders.com

A Dedicated Suzuki DR650 forum for DR650 riders to share their knowledge, experience and adventures!
It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:59 am

DRRIDERS.COM Search - powered by Google

DRRIDERS Member Location Map

Place yourself on the map here!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:30 pm 
Single Tracker
Single Tracker

What spring rate do you have on the back? Your rider sag is good - was it taken sitting or standing?
I think 0.47 will be too light for you up front.
I'm 165b in full riding gear and carry very little on the bike off road. I have a 7.1 kg/mm spring on the rear and up front 0.525 springs with Cogent DDCs, 5w oil and 130mm air gap. Works very well and is balanced front to rear.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:39 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Actually don't know, it's the spring Ricor uses for a sub 220lbs rider. Assuming 7.2kg/mm

I have the Ricor Intiminators in the front forks which typically work well with a lighter spring. We discussed this on advrider, and I have confirmation from Procycle the .47 front springs would most likely be very suitable. I was actually surprised how just the Intiminators made the stock springs much better already.

So I ordered a set of 0.47, and we'll see how things develop.

Will keep us posted!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 5:04 pm 
Single Tracker
Single Tracker

black99S wrote:
What spring rate do you have on the back? Your rider sag is good - was it taken sitting or standing?
I think 0.47 will be too light for you up front.
I'm 165b in full riding gear and carry very little on the bike off road. I have a 7.1 kg/mm spring on the rear and up front 0.525 springs with Cogent DDCs, 5w oil and 130mm air gap. Works very well and is balanced front to rear.

The great variable is riding style- I am 175 geared up and had a 7.1 spring on the cogent shock, and .48 springs with DDC , 5 wt oil etc in the forks- the rear was way too stiff. Cogent set me up with a lighter spring in the rear and it made a huge difference- before, I was being tossed all over the place.
BUT- I am an old guy, never do wheelies or jumps, and have a moderate pace. An aggressive guy would probably be bottoming this setup all the time.

For a light rider (150-160) I do not think the stock spring rates are way off- the single biggest complaint I had with stock suspension was the rear shock rebound damping was about non existent- riding up any sort of rocky trail, the shock would rebound violently and kick out side to side.