www.DRRiders.com

A Dedicated Suzuki DR650 forum for DR650 riders to share their knowledge, experience and adventures!
It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:33 am

DRRIDERS.COM Search - powered by Google

DRRIDERS Member Location Map

Place yourself on the map here!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:32 am 
Single Tracker
Single Tracker

Terry Hay wrote:
The Race Tech emulators offer the widest tuning range and most appropriate / accurate technical advice.

True, but Cogent DDC with recommended 5w fork oil, 0.47 Eibach springs with 9mm preload were a fast install requiring no damper rod disassembly or drilling and for me, worked great from day one with no further tuning.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:55 am 

The damper rod holes are the only source of influence that the stock fork has to offer. To place any valve in the DR fork system really requires no drilling of holes due to the fact that they are so big already and do very little. They will certainly have an influence on high speed hits but offer little resistance on anything else. This is an unfortunate trait of the DR and not a benefit of any particular valve system. All valve systems however will function better by drilling the holes and removing the small element of harshness (on larger hits) that the stock holes provide.....not necessary, but beneficial. To run a 5wt oil will help in negating some of this influence as well but will mess with your feeling of control. This is due to the lack of rebound damping with the light oil. A simple push on the bars will reveal this. If you choose to make the holes a little bigger and run a 10wt oil you will yeild even greater gains.
As I mentioned....you can get away with this on the DR but unfortunately the same advice is being touted by some valve manufacturers for other bikes that really need the full job....

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:24 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

The DDC are fully tunable albeit with a bit more effort. Cogent makes great efforts to do the tuning before the valve is shipped.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 5:36 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

nc rick wrote:
The DDC are fully tunable albeit with a bit more effort. Cogent makes great efforts to do the tuning before the valve is shipped.

And for those of us who have installed them, the difference is beyond night and day IMHO.

I can't imagine any more/such a stark return on investment of effort behavior wise.

In other words, the improvent was so impressive and complete for my needs, I can't imagine fork disassembly and additional mods actually being worth the trouble.

Time I'd rather spend in the dirt :biggrin:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 6:04 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

The best you've ridden is the best you know. -RT

2011 DR650, Fly Aero tapered bars, RT front springs/emulators, RT rear spring/shock shaft assy, BarkBusters, MT21s, 14/43T, etc.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:05 am 

The DDC valve is tunable if you have shims and know what you are doing....otherwise its a "one size fits all". If you have the forks off the bike the damper rod is held in by only one bolt. Thats not a big ask for even the laziest among us. For the sake of an improved ride every time you hop on the bike I really don't see the value in not doing it.
A shimstack is merely a spring.....a leaf spring to be precise.
I have no doubt the ease of installation appeals......but as mentioned earlier you can do this with any valve....it's just half assed.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:37 am 
DR650 Limits Tester

This is really late on this subject I realize, but this very valuable info and I have gone by it for years on my own bikes and all the people I've trained over the years. I used to use this company years and years ago and have since moved on to better builders, but have never been able to find a better more detailed set up guide.

http://www.tech-care.com/PDF/SuspSetupGuide.pdf

2006 DR650 Race Bike: FMF power bomb header, FMF power core 4, DDC and Race Tech springs, Cogent Mojave Pro Series, Ohllins spring, Pro taper bars, Clarke 3.7 tank, Seat Concepts seat, air box mod, Twin air filter, sumo fender, Acme Zoom panniers, off road gearing, Warp 9 Gold hubs and Black wheels, 320MM big brake kit, TM40 Carb, Mad Man Engineering built head, decked cylinder, engine assembled and tuned by VAR.

03 sprinter motobus
Donzi Z-25

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:28 pm 
Single Tracker
Single Tracker

Interesting set up info, crash-
One thing of interest, they spec out numbers, but no percentages- so saying to set rider sag at 3.9" ,for a motocross bike, is hard to translate for a DR650- I am thinking our suspension travel is a few inches less?

Right now on the DR, I have 3 1/4" rider sag and 2" of static sag in the rear. According to the info you posted , this indicates a spring that is a bit too stiff. Any comments?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 4:18 pm 
MSF Student
MSF Student

Here is the Race Tech Suspension Bible book in pdf

http://www.mediafire.com/view/1zamvi15a ... 010%29.pdf

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 3:09 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Ok guys, I need some input here.

Situation: newly bought DR by a 200-210lbs bloke. This is my 3rd DR, so I knew what to expect when it comes to suspension on this bike. I recently installed a pair of Intiminators with the stock springs, 30mm spacers, 5W fluid and a 160mm airgap (with Intiminatos/without springs).

As some may recall, initially I hated my forks like this because it had so much stiction. Easily 2", seriously... I seemed to have solved this by dripfeeding a few drops of oil between/under the dust seals and the last week I liked them better each day. Apparently it just needed lube.

Now they are supple enough to take on any dip/ditch/pothole, and enough low speed compression damping to avoid wallowing and too much brake dive. The only thing I have to get used to is a lack of rebound damping, which (only) shows when releasing the front brake at a traffic light. The front just pops up nearly. Weird a bit, but to be expected when you realize how the Intiminators (and other drop-in cartridges I assume) work. And I have to admit, if you want your suspension to work offroad, you need less rebound damping, otherwise your forks will remain fully compressed in rough terrain. I get that. You want the front wheel to follow the terrain.

As expected, the new achilles heel was the rear shock, so I ordered a Ricor shock for a sub 220lbs rider. I deliberately ordered the sub 220lbs because I ride without luggage and hardly any weight adding farkles. After I installed the shock I started by taking sag measurements, to see if any preload adjustments were needed.

static sag: 25mm
rider sag: 71mm (which was easily over 100mm's on the stock shock pogo stick)

on a 221mm rear suspension travel that is 32% rider sag. Sound ok?

Anyway, I left the preload as it was, and started riding. What a difference! Rear feels very planted and has lots of low speed damping. Heck, the rear actually feels quite stiff. For a road bike this feels pretty spot on, but for a bike I want to take out on gravel/desert as well? ughhhh I know my brains' calibration has had an offset from the stock rear shock and spring, but still, it feels stiffer than any shock I had on previous bikes. Especially the low speed damping (both compression and rebound!). I cannot imagine this would ever bottom out on the hardest whoops.

Is this to be expected, and will the shock adjust to the terrain (admitted, I've only ridden street on the bike yet, and will for a while before I have time to do offroad riding), or is this a serious concern? I know this shock has the inertia active valve

On second thoughts, I still use the stock front springs, so the bike could be front heavy at the moment. It would make sense to replace the stock springs with 0.47 springs. I'm willing to do that, but wouldn't that expose the lack of rebound damping in the forks even more?

So my questions are:

just stiffer on the fork springs?
will stiffer fork springs make the rebound on the forks even less?
this low speed damping sensation on the Ricor shock is normal?
are my sag figures ok?

thanks for watching!

(ps, I don't have any sag measurements on the front, but hey. we all know the stock springs)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next