www.DRRiders.com

A Dedicated Suzuki DR650 forum for DR650 riders to share their knowledge, experience and adventures!
It is currently Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:34 pm

DRRIDERS.COM Search - powered by Google

DRRIDERS Member Location Map

Place yourself on the map here!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 303 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 31  Next
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:03 pm 
Member Servant
Member Servant

Thought it might be fun to post up pics of our DRs showing what she looked like when we first got her and what she looks like now... just to see how far we've progressed in our never-ending farkling quests.

Here's mine when I first bought her new in the spring of '08 - the only things I'd dne was paint the sidecovers black and stuck a tailbag on her:

The most recent pic I have 2 years later - mods include seat, tires, skidplate, brake cylinder guard, exhaust (Termingnoni oval muffler and custom midpipe), spark arrestor, headlights, turn signals, handlebars, handguards, front/rear suspension (springs & fork oil mix), sealskins, X-wide footrests, lowered footpeg brackets (cut & weld), oversize brake pedal, rear rack (and sideracks/saddlebags not shown), jet kit, airbox mod, IMS tank, horn relocation, sprockets and chain (14/47), inline fuel filter, Uni air filter, 12v accessort plug, dash plate w/switches (lights), windscreen, 'wye-to-delta' stator mod, rimlock on rear wheel, polished header pipe, custom heat shield.

Since then I've installed two smaller driving lights below the big ones and added a spoiler/lip on the windscreen, smaller round mirrors, and a lithium battery.

I'll post a more up-to-date pic soon.

Let's see how much ya'll's DR's have evolved... post 'em up! :s_thumbsup

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:49 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

OK I gotta ask what you did with your header heat shield? Is that the stock one with holes drilled and painted flat black?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:27 pm 
SuperMoto Dude
SuperMoto Dude

Mirrors and rack added

Currently: Supermoto wheels, fenders, etc.. also it multiply and out popped a '97 (also mine)

85 Yamaha Big Wheel 200

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:46 pm 
Member Servant
Member Servant

OK I gotta ask what you did with your header heat shield? Is that the stock one with holes drilled and painted flat black?

Yes. Good eye. :s_thumbsup

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:50 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

DustDevil wrote:
Reveille wrote:

Yes. Good eye. :s_thumbsup

So the holes, do you notice any additional heat escaping? I would think that the outer piece is only there to protect the inner heat shield and shouldn't be comprimised by drilling holes. Does that sound right from your perspective?

P.S. Mad Max would be proud to ride your DR :good:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:21 pm 
Member Servant
Member Servant

So the holes, do you notice any additional heat escaping? I would think that the outer piece is only there to protect the inner heat shield and shouldn't be comprimised by drilling holes. Does that sound right from your perspective?

Actually I removed the layers of insulation underneath the shield. The air flows rather well now, so the outer shell is sufficiently cool as to not burn skin or melt my riding pants, and that's good enough for me.

If you're referring to the heat shield functioning as a way to keep the pipe hot for better exhaust flow, I don't think that small section makes that much difference since my midpipe opens up 1/4" to the muffler, and that is an aluminum-titanium racing canister from a Ducati. It flows really well. :wink:

Reveille wrote:
P.S. Mad Max would be proud to ride your DR :good:

Thanks, I think. :biggrin: Everyone calls it the 'Mad Max bike'... I don't mind, I build more for function & not so much for looks. :pardon:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:53 pm 
Member Servant
Member Servant

Currently: Supermoto wheels, fenders, etc.. also it multiply and out popped a '97 (also mine)

:s_rofl What, you didn't get her spayed and some loose stray in the neiborhood got to her? :biggrin:

Your DR(s) is/are progressing nicely, good job. :s_thumbsup

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:20 am 
MSF Student
MSF Student

My bike:

Before: New

After: 9 months later, home made skid plate, top case and rack, universal windshield, 12V connector, hot grips, Cycra hand guards, Vapor

Regards from Chile :s_smile

Suzuki DR650SE 2011

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:21 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Now

Upgrades: SuMo wheels, Protaper Bars, FCR carb, TrackSide handGuards, Vapor Dash, bedLined tank and can sprayed red plastics. And oh, walmart ATV seat cover. Still need to get around installing the GSXR muffler.

2007 DR650 SuperMoto with almost all the goodies..(it never ends ya know!)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:37 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

malokam wrote:
The day I bought it. 2007 DR650SE

Now

Upgrades: SuMo wheels, Protaper Bars, FCR carb, TrackSide handGuards, Vapor Dash, bedLined tank and can sprayed red plastics. And oh, walmart ATV seat cover. Still need to get around installing the GSXR muffler.

So the bedliner coating has stayed on your plactic tank? Interesting to know. I have a blue Clarke tank and I was under the impression that due to fuel fumes escaping through the plastic and the chemical composition it would promply remove any type of finish you apply. Nice bike.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 303 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 31  Next