www.DRRiders.com

A Dedicated Suzuki DR650 forum for DR650 riders to share their knowledge, experience and adventures!
It is currently Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:51 am

DRRIDERS.COM Search - powered by Google

DRRIDERS Member Location Map

Place yourself on the map here!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 303 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31  Next
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:24 pm 
MSF Student
MSF Student

Last edited by part turtle on Sun Oct 02, 2016 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:38 am 
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

DustDevil wrote:
Thought it might be fun to post up pics of our DRs showing what she looked like when we first got her and what she looks like now... just to see how far we've progressed in our never-ending farkling quests.

Here's mine when I first bought her new in the spring of '08 - the only things I'd dne was paint the sidecovers black and stuck a tailbag on her:

The most recent pic I have 2 years later - mods include seat, tires, skidplate, brake cylinder guard, exhaust (Termingnoni oval muffler and custom midpipe), spark arrestor, headlights, turn signals, handlebars, handguards, front/rear suspension (springs & fork oil mix), sealskins, X-wide footrests, lowered footpeg brackets (cut & weld), oversize brake pedal, rear rack (and sideracks/saddlebags not shown), jet kit, airbox mod, IMS tank, horn relocation, sprockets and chain (14/47), inline fuel filter, Uni air filter, 12v accessort plug, dash plate w/switches (lights), windscreen, 'wye-to-delta' stator mod, rimlock on rear wheel, polished header pipe, custom heat shield.

Since then I've installed two smaller driving lights below the big ones and added a spoiler/lip on the windscreen, smaller round mirrors, and a lithium battery.

I'll post a more up-to-date pic soon.

Let's see how much ya'll's DR's have evolved... post 'em up! :s_thumbsup

WOW that looks Awesome I love it!!
That's so much for sharing

or perhaps A little sad!!

4 Xr 250ies
Rm 250
Gpz750 turbo
1200s Sportster sport Harley
Drz 400e
Some bikes we buy and some
we sell but living without one
Would be Hell!!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 7:07 pm 
Single Tracker
Single Tracker

spot wrote:
nice Craft works.
how may miles on those tires?
i should say how many off road miles.
yours look in better shape than mine @ just over 4000 kilomenters

Sorry I never saw this. The after tires were brand new, sadly they still are. I've been having to travel with work so much I have had barely any time to ride. Kind of a shame really. I'm contemplating selling it but I am still on the fence.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 1:50 am 

Here's my before and after. Very happy with the end result!

Bark Busters
B&B Bash Plate
B&B Frame Guards
B&B Number Plate Holder
B&B Rear Carry Rack
SW-Motech Centre Stand
B&B Engine Case Protectors
JNS Engine Oil Cooler Guard
JNS Footpeg Lowering Mounts
DRC 161 Footpegs Chromoly Wide
DRC 161 Mirrors Folding Dualsport
Acerbis Fuel Tank 20L Grey
Acerbis Fuel Tank Breather
Acerbis Fuel Tank Indicator Brackets
DRC 601 LED LED Indicators
Procycle LED Indicator Relay
PM Racks Side Lugguage Racks
Screens for Bikes Windscreen Heavy Duty Adventure Touring Screen
Chain roller block off bolt
Seat Concepts Commuter Seat
Dunlop D606 Front 90/90-21
Dunlop D606 Rear 130/90-17
Hoeys Suspension Front & Rear Suspension Works New Springs, Gold Emulators

Attachments:
IMG_20160815_111115 (Large).jpg
IMG_20160815_111115 (Large).jpg [ 700 KiB | Viewed 509 times ]
IMG_20160603_114056 (Large).jpg
IMG_20160603_114056 (Large).jpg [ 632.17 KiB | Viewed 509 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 12:40 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Just bringing it home...........

After sending Jeff and Rick to Hawaii....... :2_thumbsup: 1st shakedown run tomorrow.

2007 WR450

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 11:57 pm 
MSF Student
MSF Student

Stoutamach1 wrote:
the day i got it, looking very nerdy

today

Hi,

Sorry for a noob question, but did you upgrade the forks or did you just remove the fork books and added some kind of white covers for the lower portion of the forks? :s_dunno

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:29 am 
MSF Student
MSF Student

DustDevil wrote:
Thanks guys. :drinks: The headlights are a modified version of an older Yamaha Warrior dual headlight bracket. I cut & welded it to bolt on to the stock headlight mounting points, and used a set of 5" offroad housings. I wanted them mounted up high to give a better illumination spread on the trails. Now there are two additional oval driving lights mounted underneath for a quad headlight array...

...but I'm thinking of replacing the driving lights with two LED lighta or maybe an LED light bar.

The tires at the time of the picture were a Shinko 244 on the rear and a stock TrailWing that I gotten for free so why not? It actually works pretty good if you lower the pressure. Nowadays I run Shinko 244s exclusively, unless I find a better alternative they give the most bang for the buck for my type of riding.

Current weight? My goal was to get her down to the curb weight of a stock DRz400 (317 lbs). Last summer I took her down to the local feedstore and weighed it on their scales and with about 2 gallons of gas it was around 324 pounds if I remember right. Curb weight is measured with one gallon of gas so I'm right in the ballpark.

The two most effective contributing factors to reducing weight were the Termingoni canister (titanium internals), one of a pair from a Ducati 800 Monster I found on eBay for about $20...

...and the EVO2 lithium battery with the old battery cage removed:

Plus a lot of nit-picking on every mod on the bike. Most people called me nuts for being that worried over shaving a gram or two off every little thing... and they were right. I am officially nuts. :biggrin:

Hi DustDevil,

Just wanted to complement you on your setup... Your light/windscreen combo looks really good! :good: In fact, I would like to copy it if you don't mind! :s_laughat What windscreen did you use?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:03 am 
Member Servant
Member Servant

Paco_Rabanne wrote:
DustDevil wrote:
Thanks guys. :drinks: The headlights are a modified version of an older Yamaha Warrior dual headlight bracket. I cut & welded it to bolt on to the stock headlight mounting points, and used a set of 5" offroad housings. I wanted them mounted up high to give a better illumination spread on the trails. Now there are two additional oval driving lights mounted underneath for a quad headlight array...

...but I'm thinking of replacing the driving lights with two LED lighta or maybe an LED light bar.

The tires at the time of the picture were a Shinko 244 on the rear and a stock TrailWing that I gotten for free so why not? It actually works pretty good if you lower the pressure. Nowadays I run Shinko 244s exclusively, unless I find a better alternative they give the most bang for the buck for my type of riding.

Current weight? My goal was to get her down to the curb weight of a stock DRz400 (317 lbs). Last summer I took her down to the local feedstore and weighed it on their scales and with about 2 gallons of gas it was around 324 pounds if I remember right. Curb weight is measured with one gallon of gas so I'm right in the ballpark.

The two most effective contributing factors to reducing weight were the Termingoni canister (titanium internals), one of a pair from a Ducati 800 Monster I found on eBay for about $20...

...and the EVO2 lithium battery with the old battery cage removed:

Plus a lot of nit-picking on every mod on the bike. Most people called me nuts for being that worried over shaving a gram or two off every little thing... and they were right. I am officially nuts. :biggrin:

Hi DustDevil,

Just wanted to complement you on your setup... Your light/windscreen combo looks really good! :good: In fact, I would like to copy it if you don't mind! :s_laughat What windscreen did you use?

FYI DustDevil has wandered off to greener pastures and is no longer a participating member here on DRRiders. :pardon:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:54 am 

Picked up. 12/30/2016

first ride after doing a once over. 1/14/2017

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 3:08 pm 
MSF Student
MSF Student

Attachment:
IMG_5438.jpg
IMG_5438.jpg [ 111.16 KiB | Viewed 113 times ]

Used off craigslist, well looked after mechanically but not much to look at.

Attachment:
IMG_20170405_101952769_HDR.jpg
IMG_20170405_101952769_HDR.jpg [ 149.56 KiB | Viewed 113 times ]

Well on the way towards doubling my original purchase price, but I have to say the bike has been completely transformed!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 303 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31  Next