www.DRRiders.com

A Dedicated Suzuki DR650 forum for DR650 riders to share their knowledge, experience and adventures!
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Painting The Pipe
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:40 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Years ago I had a 1977 Honda 350XL. The exhaust had no leaks but was a lovely rust colour. I simply took off the pipe and painted it with Black BBQ (heat resistant) paint.

Being the cheapo that I am I was considering this for my 2003 DR. New pipe is $159 and can'o paint is $10.

Would this be easy on the DR or just all together retarded? I'm only considering it for the aesthetics. :s_dunno

Post subject: Re: Painting The Pipe
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:35 pm 
MSF Student
MSF Student

The stock pipe is stainless. Just sand off the old paint and polish it. There's quite a few folks that have done and there are several threads around about it. It looks pretty nice when finished and only takes a couple hours.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:55 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

i actually did that and it looked good right after. now its still all the same color it it just looks almost chalky dark grey. but still an improvement over what it looked like before. if i actually washed it, it would look even better.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:57 pm 
SuperMoto Dude
SuperMoto Dude

+1 on polishing the header. If you do a thorough job on the polish, its far easier to keep clean.

Before:

A little while later, finished with the wire wheel and spent some time with a sisal buffing wheel and emery compound:

And after another pass with a cotton buffing wheel and stainless polishing compound:

And bolted back up:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:31 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

I polished mine too. I only ride street so it is staying pretty nice. I don't have a before pick, but the pipe looked like burnt poop. This picture is a few hundred miles after polishing.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:55 pm 
SuperMoto Dude
SuperMoto Dude

So did anyone have to replace the exhaust gaskets when you removed the pipe to polish it?
I remember when I had my cruiser I didn't change them out when I swapped pipes.
I've been wanting to look at/grind the weld on mine anyway, this will give me another reason to take it off.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:54 pm 
SuperMoto Dude
SuperMoto Dude

hmmwv15 wrote:
So did anyone have to replace the exhaust gaskets when you removed the pipe to polish it?
I've been wanting to look at/grind the weld on mine anyway, this will give me another reason to take it off.

I picked up a new gasket for the header when I took that off (did the header weld grind at the same time), but I didn't need a gasket for the header-to-muffler connection, as the FMF fits more than snug enough on its own.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:57 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

hmmwv15 wrote:

Chances are that you will not have to replace the head gasket when you remove the header. I have removed mine several times including going from stock to FMF and back to stock and there were no discernible leaks although I did buy a new gasket just in case.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:07 am 
MSF Student
MSF Student

Not a cheaparse solution but it works for me. Ceramic coating...

Another pic from new, but after 7 days in the desert mud (oxymoron?) she cleaned up like new with a quick high pressure water blast and 5 mins with some metal polish. The permanent discolouration on down pipe is as bad as it gets (done ~8000km so far)

Teknik suspension; Safari tank; FCR-MX carb by mx-rob; RockHardRallyGear bashplate; Seat Concepts; MTD pannier & tail racks; Vapor dash; Screens for Bikes; ProTaper bars Windham Bend; Rox Risers; Scotts steering damper; Barkbuster VPS; Quick throttle; Kaoko throttle lock; SW Motech centrestand; ProCycle lower footpegs... and more

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:49 am 
SuperMoto Dude
SuperMoto Dude

Shane,

Was that done by Jet Hot or elsewhere? What did they do with the flange when the pipe was coated (with it loose on the pipe?)

Cheers,
David