www.DRRiders.com

A Dedicated Suzuki DR650 forum for DR650 riders to share their knowledge, experience and adventures!
It is currently Fri May 26, 2017 10:46 am

DRRIDERS.COM Search - powered by Google

DRRIDERS Member Location Map

Place yourself on the map here!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 913 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 92  Next
 Post subject: FCR-MX Install....
PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:17 pm 
Member Servant
Member Servant

Without question the best carb for the DR650. IMHO of course. :mrgreen:

https://docs.google.com/present/edit?id ... pjbQ&hl=en

Post subject: Re: FCR-MX Install....
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:32 am 
SuperMoto Dude
SuperMoto Dude

I just re-geared and now with the FCR and 14/46 gears I can crawl :D

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:41 pm 
Member Servant
Member Servant

I am going to tell on myself here. That is way too much stuff for ME to do for the amount of enjoyment I would get out of it.
I am too freaking lazy to do all of that. I would rather be riding than working on it.

At some point I will likely go with one of the kits for a TM-40 pumper like these. I can do a kit. :biggrin:
http://www.kientech.com/TM-40Pumper.html
http://www.procycle.us/bikepages/dr650.html
I know it isn't quite as good as the FCR, but it is probably going to get you 95% of the way with a lot less effort.
I am not knocking Rob's method. What he has done is great! I wouldn't have even attempted it.
I am just making the point that there are different levels of ability out there and some of us just aren't up to the details. Or the cash.

And if you are very tight with funds, you can greatly improve your performance on the BST with a DynaJet, air box mods, header flange grind for less than $100.
It is a mid-way point between stock and a pumper. But, as I have told a lot of people, if you have the cash, just skip the DynaJet and go to the pumper.
But if cash is tight then it is a reasonable alternative.
I will post what I have done in another thread for those that may be financially challenged in these tough times. :cry:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:21 pm 
Member Servant
Member Servant

Yes, there are different levels of ability and mechanical talent. That's why I've been building FCR-MX's for DR650 riders that either can't or just don't want to follow my on-line build instructions. I literally have them all over the world. It's not a "kit"... it's a turn key replacement for the BST. I mod the carb so that ALL of the stock components are used. You just remove the BST and chuck it in the bin... :lol: then install the FCR-MX using all the stock cables, clamps and hoses. You need only install an inline fuel filter and have a modded air box. I also suggest the TwinAir foam air filter for the best engine protection and flow within the modded air box. The other mod required is the stock head pipe with the flange weld glob ground down. There, someone hit the EASY button! :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:27 pm 
SuperMoto Dude
SuperMoto Dude

I have to agree with Rob, it really was plug and play, with a couple of confirming e-mails and specially written directions :blush:

I would love to try a bike with the TM just to see the difference in feel.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:57 pm 
Member Servant
Member Servant

bchunter300 wrote:
I have to agree with Rob, it really was plug and play, with a couple of confirming e-mails and specially written directions :blush:

I would love to try a bike with the TM just to see the difference in feel.

They'd be very similar.. certainly a huge improvement over the BST just in the fact that they don't have vacuum controlled slides. After that the differences aren't quite so subtle. The TM40 does not have a roller bearing'd slide or the floating slide seal like FCR-MX. The slide runs right in the carb body and both wear over time. The large amount of vacuum the big thumper applies to the slide results in a bit more throttle effort and wear. It also has an exposed AP rod set-up that can get fowled with dirt and grit... there have been complaints about this issue on TT. The FCR-MX has no exposed components. You could literally coat the entire carb in mud with no ill affects. Obviously not a big deal for the SM guys but the guys that ride in the dirt benefit greatly. The FCR-MX also has the air cut circuit for reducing the annoying decel popping normally associated with performance exhaust systems. This is one of the features that really drew me to the carb in the first place..... that and the fact that every major manufacturer used the FCR-MX on their performance four-stroke engines. I'm not aware of a single manufacturer that chose to use the TM40 on their machines. Without question the FCR-MX is a very expensive carb. I have riders all the time asking for me to build them a brand new FCR-MX. Not! Since the stock FCR-MX for the YFZ450 costs around $700... then add the conversion cost. :o There are so few parts that wear on the carb that they are normally in fine shape. The only exception to that is if an exuberant fourwheeler owner suddenly gets hit with the "I'm a carb expert wand" I've pulled a couple of nice carbs out of the grim reapers clutches. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:00 pm 
MSF Student
MSF Student

So Rob the big question on my mind is how much? I'm familiar with these carbs to a degree. Very very good carb. I almost dropped a k on a set for my triples but found them to be a bit finicky at low rpm with that application.

I saw the sleeve you had machined for the front of the FCR is that a required item for fitment? The work done looked excellent!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:17 pm 
Member Servant
Member Servant

carb wrote:
So Rob the big question on my mind is how much? I'm familiar with these carbs to a degree. Very very good carb. I almost dropped a k on a set for my triples but found them to be a bit finicky at low rpm with that application.

I saw the sleeve you had machined for the front of the FCR is that a required item for fitment? The work done looked excellent!
The front, or engine side, of the fcr requires no mods to fit in the stock manifold. The air horn does require an adapter to reach and fit the stock air boot's diameter.

If you had FCR's on any bike that you felt ran finicky it was because they were not set-up properly. No carb allows as much adjustment as the FCR. They run exactly as good as the time invested in setting them up. I don't want to turn this forum into a mxrob sales pitch. Send me a note: rob@mxrob.com if you'd like to discuss FCR-MX options.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:42 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

...I also suggest the TwinAir foam air filter for the best engine protection and flow within the modded air box...

Rob, you feel the TwinAir is better than a K&N?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:41 pm 
Member Servant
Member Servant

I can only go by my experiences over the years on engines that suffered premature failure due to ingesting dirt past a K&N filter. Arguments for the K&N say that the engines ground up were due to the filter not being serviced properly with K&N's filter oil. Maybe so but that just means there is a far greater chance of screwing up servicing a K&N than a foam filter. We all make mistakes... I'll stick with a filter that gives my bike an advantage when I do. :wink:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 913 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 92  Next