www.DRRiders.com

A Dedicated Suzuki DR650 forum for DR650 riders to share their knowledge, experience and adventures!
It is currently Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:19 am

DRRIDERS.COM Search - powered by Google

DRRIDERS Member Location Map

Place yourself on the map here!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 927 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 89, 90, 91, 92, 93
 Post subject: Re: FCR-MX Install....
PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:00 am 
Member Servant
Member Servant

Omnimo wrote:
My new to me FCR 40 is disassembled and cleaned. New jets, needle, gaskets, and fuel inlet o-rings are on the way. I also have an AFR gauge on the way.

I got a new to me FMF powerbomb header connected to the 35FO today. I also cut out the top of my air box and installed a new twinair filter on the 790 today.

Many thanks to MX Rob, Bergdonk, and other pioneers for making this process so much easier. More later.

:lurk:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:29 am 
MSF Student
MSF Student

Turns out my fleabay fcr 40 is a 41. Oh well, I'm moving forward anyway.

I modified the engine side carb boot by mounting it to a piece of plywood attached to my bench grinder.
Attachment:
IMG_20170703_125129489~01.jpg
IMG_20170703_125129489~01.jpg [ 214.7 KiB | Viewed 180 times ]

With the grinder spinning, I carefully used the edge of a file to increase the ID of the boot. The carb fit snugly after a couple of tries. It was surprisingly easy.
Attachment:
IMG_20170703_125351592~01.jpg
IMG_20170703_125351592~01.jpg [ 155.78 KiB | Viewed 180 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_20170703_125336086~01.jpg
IMG_20170703_125336086~01.jpg [ 138.25 KiB | Viewed 180 times ]

I'm getting the O2 sensor bung TIG welded onto the header today. My needle, jets, etc. are here.

More later.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:21 pm 
MSF Student
MSF Student

I got the bike put back together today and took a short ride.

My setup:

Cut airbox with twinair filter

FCR41 with 150 main, NFMN needle in the 5th position, 100 PAJ, 35 Pilot, 2 turns out on the fuel screw. Big Thanks to @Bergdonk for giving me a starting place for the carb internals, I copied his FCR40 setup very closely.

Procycle 790 kit

FMF Powerbomb header

35FO with DIY 2" stainless midpipe.

AEM 30-0300 X series AFR meter.

The choke is nearly impossible to get to with my 6.6 Acerbis tank. I may try to attach the stock handlebar mounted choke lever to the FCR. I'm certainly open to other ideas.I attached the stock DR throttle cables directly to the FCR with no modification other than routing them under the frame tube to the right side.

I let the bike warm up for about 15 mins then tore out the driveway, down the gravel road and onto the 4 lane. I did some town driving and twisty 2 lane also. The butt dyno is very impressed. I occasionally glanced at the AFR gauge over the next 30 minutes. Cruising on the highway bounced between low 14's and 15. Idling at a stoplight showed 11.5. Not bad for the first test :2_thumbsup:

I"m going to adjust the needle position and fuel mixture screw to lean out the low RPM range before any further testing. I may get a thicker needle and a larger slow air jet too.

I'll post AFR numbers for the adjusted setup when I get back from Colorado.

Again, many thanks to MXRob, Bergdonk, and others for laying the groundwork that allowed me to do this :notworthy:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:33 pm 
MSF Student
MSF Student

I swapped the NFMN needle for the slightly larger diameter needle that came with the carb, an NGGQ. I also raised the clip to the 3rd position and turned the fuel mixture screw in a half turn. The bike is now running 12's and 13's AFR throughout the rpm range.

I plan to lean the bike out further. I'll probably get a thicker needle and larger air jet. It want to be able to adjust for higher altitudes for future travels.

More later.

Cheers

Last edited by Omnimo on Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:39 pm 
MSF Student
MSF Student

Finally got a day to work on the DR. I put a black 5.3 Acerbis on along with a black YZ front fender. I can reach the choke without laying down beside the bike now. More black bodywork to come. I also fixed a front flat.

I dropped the needle down to the first position and have the fuel screw a 1/4 turn out.

Here is a review of my setup;

Cut airbox top with Twinair filter.

FCR41
-150 Main
-100 PAJ
-35 Slow
-FS 1/4 turn out
-NGGQ C1

PS 790 kit

Powerbomb header

DIY 2" stainless midpipe

35FO can

And the approximate AFR numbers from today.

Idle 12.5
1/8 13
1/4 14
1/2 14.5
3/4 14
WO 12.5

I'm quite happy with these numbers. They pretty well mimic my targets. The butt dyno liked the previous setup a little better, it felt slightly more powerful. These numbers have the potential to have the mix of power and economy I want. I'm still considering some bigger Air jets and leaner needles to try. Input is welcome considering I want to be able to ride up to 12,000 ft. I'm at 650' here. I'm running a 41 tooth rear btw.

Further testing will ensue with this setup, including fuel economy testing and low rpm testing.

During the ride today the front wheel lofted easily in the first three gears :Roost: . I also hit the rev limiter for the first time ever( I was in 3rd). I think this is significant because power continued to build to the limiter. In the past I had let off or shifted when I felt the power curve flatten.

More later. :2_thumbsup:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:54 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Good stuff. I probably wouldn't go leaner, but be interesting to try I guess. I'd expect more power drop off, but perhaps the main can be just a bit smaller which should lean 3/4 out a bit too.

I'm wondering what the NGGQ originates in? I'm not spotting it on any of my links.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:47 am 
MSF Student
MSF Student

BergDonk wrote:
Good stuff. I probably wouldn't go leaner, but be interesting to try I guess. I'd expect more power drop off, but perhaps the main can be just a bit smaller which should lean 3/4 out a bit too.

I'm wondering what the NGGQ originates in? I'm not spotting it on any of my links.

Thanks for the input, I really appreciate it.

The NGGQ came in the used FCR41 I bought on eBay. It was supposedly taken off of a CRF450, but that would have came from the factory with an FCR40 I believe.

Update, I found a reference to the NGGQ needle.

https://crfsonly.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=34509

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 927 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 89, 90, 91, 92, 93