www.DRRiders.com

A Dedicated Suzuki DR650 forum for DR650 riders to share their knowledge, experience and adventures!
It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:24 am

DRRIDERS.COM Search - powered by Google

DRRIDERS Member Location Map

Place yourself on the map here!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 924 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93  Next
 Post subject: Re: FCR-MX Install....
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 9:59 am 
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

Got it! Yes, the order is metal washer, fiber washer, lift arm.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 11:51 am 
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

nmerrill wrote:
Ordered a stock spring from Jets- R - Us and took out the old one to compare....
New stock spring on left = thicker wire, shorter

I'm guessing that may be the issue!

Update! Yes, the stock spring was the answer! Throttle now closes with authority.
Can't believe I rode it like it was for so long...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 1:58 pm 
Member Servant
Member Servant

:2_thumbsup: It's fairly common for the quad guys to lessen the throttle spring action one way or another. I end up having to fix that on the FCRs I build.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 4:26 am 
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

Hi all, I have aquired an FCR 39MX from a Polaris Outlaw 525 IRS ATV. Getting the bits together to install as soon as possible. I have fitted an extension for airbox so nearly ready to install. Needle in the carb is marked OBDVS is that suitable for my DR? I have another needle marked NDVT, any good? Can someone please explain the needle sizing system to a old fart like me? I have full-opened airbox and stock header with Aucanvets midpipe with GSXR 40F1 muffler. At sea level here in Adelaide. 150 or 155 mainjet? 35 leak jet, 40 pilot jet, 85 pilot air, 85 starter jet. What do I need to change?

Thanks all,
Hazard14

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 4:32 am 

Sorry to gravedig, but does anyone know the major differences between the FCR and FCR MX carb? Bought my DR used and it's running really lean. Decided to adjust the needle and the markings that identify the jets are unreadable. Was going to order a rebuild kit and the basic MX Rob Jetting kit from ProCycle, but was worried the jetting might be different....

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:24 am 
Member Servant
Member Servant

SlowGal wrote:
Sorry to gravedig, but does anyone know the major differences between the FCR and FCR MX carb? Bought my DR used and it's running really lean. Decided to adjust the needle and the markings that identify the jets are unreadable. Was going to order a rebuild kit and the basic MX Rob Jetting kit from ProCycle, but was worried the jetting might be different....

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!.

The "FCR" is the street bike version of the carb with external accelerator pump and throttle mechanisms (like the TM40). It also has a smaller float bowl without the jet baffling nor the extensive venting of the "FCR-MX" version that we normally use on the DR650. As far as jetting goes... everything is the same other than the slide and floating vacuum plate. The "FCR" has the "L" slide and the "FCR-MX" has the "M" slide. All of the jetting in Procycle's FCR jet kits will work in either carb.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 5:07 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Also sometimes referred to as FCR Mk1 and II. TOTTOMH the main air jets, or 'MAJ' are different, but otherwise much the same. Interestingly, the lift arms work from opposite sides on the slide. There are a variety of detail differences with the MX version too, but they are fundamentally all the same. DRZ400s use the FCR with external AP, aka MKI and not the MX version. They have an external 'octopus' or ACV, or Air Cut Valve, and a main jet baffle that can be retrofitted to an FCR without one. I've fitted FCRs of both types to DR650s, with and without ACVs with excellent results. They all work.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 3:30 am 

Please bear with me gents, but I went ahead and ordered the FCR39 Basic Jetting Kit from Procycle, as well as a rebuild kit, and got to tinkering tonight.

While the new main is identical to what's in my carb, the new pilot does not fit. I also don't have a leak jet, so I'm sure exactly what FCR Carb I have. I did do some additional research and think it may be off a YZ400, but I'm not sure. Right now, the bike has this mystery FCR installed, a cut out airbox, a GXSR pipe, so it should theoretically run awesome, but it's super lean off the throttle and inconsistent throughout the powerband. As it sits, my boyfriends mostly stock DR650 feels significantly faster....and that is obviously not acceptable.

Below are some photos, maybe some one can help me identify what carb this is and has some jetting suggestions?

19SA2 0E09 - I tried to use this number to look up what model carb I have, but the Keihen website was not very helpful.

Up top are the jets I purchased from ProCycle, below are the jets I removed from the bike. The top of the starter jet is fairly chewed up, so I'm not sure exactly what size it is.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 3:23 am 

Bump.

Started looking around Jetrus, but haven't found it yet.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:27 am 

Looks like you have the non MX version, which is not what that kit fits.
I bought an FCR off of craigslist about a year ago for a song and soon found out why. Off of a YFZ450, this carb seems to have seen decent use and was missing the throttle side cover. It had grooves in the slide as well. Upon initial installation it pulled nicely with my airbag cover removed, snorkel out, new air filter, 40 pilot, 152 ( I believe) main, new leak jet, and what I recall to be the 100 PAJ, but had a nasty hanging idle. I couldn't get it to work, tried a new vacuum plate seal, bigger pilot jet, fuel screw adjustments and everything. I ended up taking it off for about half a year and then this winter split the mid body to get at the slide grooves, which I thought may be the problem. I filled in the grooves on the back of the main body and filed/ sanded them down and replaced the bail lifter arm with the end result being almost no play at all in the slide. "This is great!" I thought "Now I'll put it in and have no hanging idle". This seemed to be the case when I first started it up, idle returned to normal and the pig pulled fantastically while cold. Once it warmed up, however, the hanging crept back in. I removed the spring tip from the TPS and added an aluminium bit to take up the space so that I could loosen the throttle cable and adjust idle properly but this seemed to do nothing. I removed the nub on the carb boot, thinking that maybe it wasn't seating properly because of this, but this seemed to do nothing. I tweaked around the fuel screw, but this seemed to do nothing unless just about falling out. My carb boots are tight as can be, and the BST has given me absolutely no troubles
What I can figure/ know needs attention:
Fuel screw has no washer but has O-ring and spring
I should check the PAJ, although this seemingly would only make it richer
The throttle return is weak and may have been modified, although visually the cam returns to fully closed each time
I may have sprayed carb cleaner inadvertently in at some point, but the mid body gaskets looked okay
This seems indicative of a lean condition/ vacuum leak
I should try the ethanol leak test, although this produced no results in the past
Specs:
YFZ 450 FCR MX-39mm Carb
AP spring mod
35 leak jet
40 pilot
152 main
100 PAJ
new bale lifter arm
soft return spring (Guess)
no throttle cover
TPS sensor removed and hole not covered (assuming this shouldn't matter- air side leak if it were to leak at all)
Mid body has been split
rear grooving filed down to low tolerance in front with steel inclusion gas resistant epoxy
idle tab modified- bit of thick aluminum to take up space of TPS
Airbox not cut, just the side and snorkel hole open. Covering these seems to not make a difference in idle speed drop
throttle cables are not hanging up. throttle cables not hanging up. THROTTLE CABLES ARE NOT HANGING UP. (3x for emphasis, really wouldn't be posting here if I didn't have some idea what mechanically was going on with the issue)
I suppose the mid body gaskets could have gone bad, but I don't know what the symptoms are on these.

In all I really want the FCR to work. I have an X40F0x and the with the jets in the kit I wouldn't have to buy any more jetting stuff for the mediocre BST. Plus my best mate has a DR350 with a pumper and I can't let his new kit show up the original DR! And of course, effortless 2nd gear wheelies and neck snapping torque is a plus. I have a decent amount of money into this project and I can't help but think I've overlooked something simple, as often seems the case with carburetors. Also it works so well off idle I can't seem to fathom it isn't an issue I can fix. Truthfully this is keeping me up at night, hence the 1:30 AM post time. I haven't ordered my mid pipe yet for my free, yup that's right FREE x40F0x yet because I'm not sure I'll be able to use it. MXRob has been very helpful with corresponding to my multiple emails, even though I haven't bought anything from him, for which I am extremely appreciative.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 924 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93  Next