www.DRRiders.com

A Dedicated Suzuki DR650 forum for DR650 riders to share their knowledge, experience and adventures!
It is currently Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:29 am

DRRIDERS.COM Search - powered by Google

DRRIDERS Member Location Map

Place yourself on the map here!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 3:00 pm 
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

First, happy Thanksgiving yall!! Trying to do some maintenance before I start feasting and need some brake help.

I'm trying to do all maintenance I can for my front brakes and I can't figure out for the life of me to get the caliper assembly so that I can grease the pins. I read OPs instructions carefully and googled like crazy and can't figure out how I can expose the pins. According to the diagrams from the manual, there are two pins and I know where there are but don't want to do anything stupid. I'm thinking I somehow squeeze the rubber stop through it?? Or possibly the 12mm thin screw? Any help would be much appreciated.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:56 am 
SuperMoto Dude
SuperMoto Dude

Kumatae,
Using your picture above, you need no tools at this point. Believe it or not, you simply slide it apart with your hands. Again, referencing your picture above, slide the bracket to your left and slide the caliper to your right. Keep sliding the two in opposite directions and you'll start to see both rubber bellows extend/stretch. Keep sliding and at some point both bellows will "let go" and the two assemblies will come apart thus fully exposing the pins. One pin will stay with each half of the assembly, and each bellows will stay opposite of each pin. However, sometimes the bellows can tear (not letting go of the other side), which means that they were over-due for replacement anyways.

Once apart, you can freely grease both pins and inspect/replace the rubber bellows if needed.

Reassembly is just as easy - simply sliding the two back together. Once back together you might need to get the bellows ends slip fully into place so the pin is once again fully covered.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 3:32 pm 
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

Thanks TimeBandit! I couldn't believe how I never bothered to just slide it off with some pressure.

TimeBandit wrote:
Kumatae,
Using your picture above, you need no tools at this point. Believe it or not, you simply slide it apart with your hands. Again, referencing your picture above, slide the bracket to your left and slide the caliper to your right. Keep sliding the two in opposite directions and you'll start to see both rubber bellows extend/stretch. Keep sliding and at some point both bellows will "let go" and the two assemblies will come apart thus fully exposing the pins. One pin will stay with each half of the assembly, and each bellows will stay opposite of each pin. However, sometimes the bellows can tear (not letting go of the other side), which means that they were over-due for replacement anyways.

Once apart, you can freely grease both pins and inspect/replace the rubber bellows if needed.

Reassembly is just as easy - simply sliding the two back together. Once back together you might need to get the bellows ends slip fully into place so the pin is once again fully covered.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 3:56 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

No such thing as a stupid question here.... :good:

21 years retired Army - Seen EVERYTHING - Done ALMOST Everything... Ooorah!

2012 DR650SE
2015 Honda F6B