www.DRRiders.com

A Dedicated Suzuki DR650 forum for DR650 riders to share their knowledge, experience and adventures!
It is currently Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:31 am

DRRIDERS.COM Search - powered by Google

DRRIDERS Member Location Map

Place yourself on the map here!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:20 am 
Member Servant
Member Servant

Std dot 3/4 will work fine. Don't use silicone fluids into your brake system without a complete tear down and cleaning/flushing... the two fluid types do not play well with each other. :nea:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:05 pm 
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

(long read but do it anyway) :smile:

The pins tend to get dirty and sticky over time. Remove the caliper(s) assembly and pads. Now might be a good time to replace the pads anyway..... Remove the caliper from the carrier bracket being careful of the rubber boots for the pins when you disengage their sealing lips. If the boots look worn, cracked or starting to get hard replace them! Clean the pin(s). Remove all old grease and/or junk. Clean the holes in the caliper for the pins. Grease the pins lightly with either a high temp grease or anti-seize compound. Reassemble the caliper and boots on the bracket pins.

[/b]

this boot, the lower spool looking boot, backed out after it tore. now i need to replace but need a more definitive way to replace the boot. im not sure how to remove the caliper and replace

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 4:52 pm 
SuperMoto Dude
SuperMoto Dude

I'm at 10,000 miles. I checked my pads and was surprised there doesn't appear to be much left of them. Do they really wear that fast? How many miles are you guys getting out of your pads?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 5:46 pm 
10,000! You got your money's worth... I think I get around 8,000 or so.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:34 am 
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

My front brake was feeling sluggish as of late so I was going to replace the pads and fluid to proper DOT4 until...... I tried to remove the two screws from the reservoir and both got stripped. I was able to remove both but the screws are done. It's understandable as they are 10 years old.

So my question is, where to you get replacement screws that are worthy and better than OEM? I'll check Home Depot tomorrow hoping for a miracle.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:55 am 
Single Tracker
Single Tracker

kumatae wrote:

So my question is, where to you get replacement screws that are worthy and better than OEM? I'll check Home Depot tomorrow hoping for a miracle.

Check around for a local 'Fastenal' franchise. They have just about every known fastner and everything they carry will be an upgrade on OEM.

They also do drill bits, taps and dies and such when the old one fails in place.

http://www.fastenal.com/web/home

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:14 am 
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

Awesome advice, thanks! There's one in my city not too far away!!

Lowell wrote:
kumatae wrote:

Check around for a local 'Fastenal' franchise. They have just about every known fastner and everything they carry will be an upgrade on OEM.

They also do drill bits, taps and dies and such when the old one fails in place.

http://www.fastenal.com/web/home

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 2:51 pm 
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

Luckily, Home Depot did have a replacement but I do plan to get some allen wrench type bolts, it's matter of time before it gets stripped again.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:31 pm 

The two phillips head screws on the master cylinder resevoir cap are not American standard they are JIS (Japanese) standard screws. JIS screws will strip very easily, using a standard phillips head screwdriver. You can either buy a JIS phillips screwdriver or do what I did. I replaced mine with American standard stainless steel screws. Much cheaper than buying a JIS screwdriver set. Same goes for the phillips head screws on the throttle cable bracket/housing, they are also JIS and I replaced them with stainless steel socket cap screws.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:53 am 
SuperMoto Dude
SuperMoto Dude

Lowell wrote:
Check around for a local 'Fastenal' franchise.

Great tip !
Got one just up the street from me. Drove past it countless times and didn't know that's what they were - LOL :fool:

Last edited by TimeBandit on Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next