www.DRRiders.com

A Dedicated Suzuki DR650 forum for DR650 riders to share their knowledge, experience and adventures!
It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:09 am

DRRIDERS.COM Search - powered by Google

DRRIDERS Member Location Map

Place yourself on the map here!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 9:39 pm 
Offline
MSF Student
MSF Student
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:24 pm
Posts: 36
Location: Las Vegas,NV
Location:
Okay confused. .. So I adjusted the exhaust at .008 and the intake at .004 and now the valves are clicking quite a bit. The exhaust was loose previously and the intake was tight. Have 9500 miles on the bike. Just want to be sure they are supposed to click or knock. Just dosent seem right...

Also if there's anyone in Vegas that knows what they are doing and wants to give me a hand or just make sure they are right, please let me know.

Thank you in advance!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 11:53 pm 
Offline
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Joined: Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:08 pm
Posts: 1292
Location: West Indies
Captain Obvious wrote:
Okay confused. .. So I adjusted the exhaust at .008 and the intake at .004 and now the valves are clicking quite a bit. The exhaust was loose previously and the intake was tight. Have 9500 miles on the bike. Just want to be sure they are supposed to click or knock. Just dosent seem right...

Also if there's anyone in Vegas that knows what they are doing and wants to give me a hand or just make sure they are right, please let me know.

Thank you in advance!

Unless you are using an angled feeler gauge I suspect that the gaps are slightly larger than you intended. The straight feeler gauges tend to give you larger gaps than the actual width of the gauge. You can try re-gaping the exhaust closer to the upper limit and the inlet valves towards the lower limit. You can try bending the end of the straight feeler gauge for easier use, caution, it may break. If you are sure that the gaps are within limits then a light tapping sound is acceptable. However if there is no tapping then the valves may be too tight. Better to have a light tapping than none at all. Getting an experienced owner in the Vegas area is a good idea if still unsure.

_________________
Ass, gas or grass, no one rides for free.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 12:13 am 
Offline
MSF Student
MSF Student
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:24 pm
Posts: 36
Location: Las Vegas,NV
Location:
The feelers are indeed angeled. They are from P.C. I made sure the valves were in the correct position beforehand and lightly tightened them against the feeler,then snugged the lock nut. After which both fit just right. It just seems the knocking is a little excessive considering there was no noise beforehand. I would hate to run the bike and burn out a valve due to improperly adjusted valves. Especially with what life this beauty still has. ...

Thanks for the input!


dhardesthard wrote:
Captain Obvious wrote:
Okay confused. .. So I adjusted the exhaust at .008 and the intake at .004 and now the valves are clicking quite a bit. The exhaust was loose previously and the intake was tight. Have 9500 miles on the bike. Just want to be sure they are supposed to click or knock. Just dosent seem right...

Also if there's anyone in Vegas that knows what they are doing and wants to give me a hand or just make sure they are right, please let me know.

Thank you in advance!

Unless you are using an angled feeler gauge I suspect that the gaps are slightly larger than you intended. The straight feeler gauges tend to give you larger gaps than the actual width of the gauge. You can try re-gaping the exhaust closer to the upper limit and the inlet valves towards the lower limit. You can try bending the end of the straight feeler gauge for easier use, caution, it may break. If you are sure that the gaps are within limits then a light tapping sound is acceptable. However if there is no tapping then the valves may be too tight. Better to have a light tapping than none at all. Getting an experienced owner in the Vegas area is a good idea if still unsure.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 12:26 am 
Offline
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Joined: Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:08 pm
Posts: 1292
Location: West Indies
Captain Obvious wrote:
The feelers are indeed angeled. They are from P.C. I made sure the valves were in the correct position beforehand and lightly tightened them against the feeler,then snugged the lock nut. After which both fit just right. It just seems the knocking is a little excessive considering there was no noise beforehand. I would hate to run the bike and burn out a valve due to improperly adjusted valves. Especially with what life this beauty still has. ...

Thanks for the input!


dhardesthard wrote:
Captain Obvious wrote:
Okay confused. .. So I adjusted the exhaust at .008 and the intake at .004 and now the valves are clicking quite a bit. The exhaust was loose previously and the intake was tight. Have 9500 miles on the bike. Just want to be sure they are supposed to click or knock. Just dosent seem right...

Also if there's anyone in Vegas that knows what they are doing and wants to give me a hand or just make sure they are right, please let me know.

Thank you in advance!

Unless you are using an angled feeler gauge I suspect that the gaps are slightly larger than you intended. The straight feeler gauges tend to give you larger gaps than the actual width of the gauge. You can try re-gaping the exhaust closer to the upper limit and the inlet valves towards the lower limit. You can try bending the end of the straight feeler gauge for easier use, caution, it may break. If you are sure that the gaps are within limits then a light tapping sound is acceptable. However if there is no tapping then the valves may be too tight. Better to have a light tapping than none at all. Getting an experienced owner in the Vegas area is a good idea if still unsure.

If you are sure that you set the clearances correctly then just accept that the tapping noise is normal. I would only be worried if the tapping noise was absent. You can still get someone close to you to check the clearances and also compare his engine noise with yours. Maybe the previous clearances were too tight..!!

_________________
Ass, gas or grass, no one rides for free.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:52 am 
Offline
Trail Rider
Trail Rider
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:38 pm
Posts: 80
Location: Colorado
Location:
Great thread. I just checked the valves at 700 miles. ProCycle angled feelers are easy to use. No adjustment necessary.

_________________
2012 DR650
2013 DR650
2009 K1300GT (2009-2013)
2003 FZ1 (2004-2010)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:16 am 
Offline
MSF Student
MSF Student

Joined: Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:43 am
Posts: 54
Location: Eastern NC
Location:
'12 DR650
I checked valves at 750 miles, first time, and did not need to adjust. I just checked them again with 3350 miles and they are still in the middle or upper end of range. One side of intake the .005 feeler goes in with a little resistance and the other side, the .006 gauge goes in with the same resistance. Both the exhaust take the .008 gauge with little resistance, I think one side would take a .009 gauge with some resistance. I'm using the PC bent feeler gauges. Is this normal, to basically have no valve clearance change in 3350 miles? I will check again at 5000 miles.
EG


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:41 pm 
Offline
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:26 pm
Posts: 1335
Location: Snowy Mts Oz
eddie g wrote:
'12 DR650
I checked valves at 750 miles, first time, and did not need to adjust. I just checked them again with 3350 miles and they are still in the middle or upper end of range. One side of intake the .005 feeler goes in with a little resistance and the other side, the .006 gauge goes in with the same resistance. Both the exhaust take the .008 gauge with little resistance, I think one side would take a .009 gauge with some resistance. I'm using the PC bent feeler gauges. Is this normal, to basically have no valve clearance change in 3350 miles? I will check again at 5000 miles.
EG


Normal.

OTTOMH, mine have only been adjusted maybe twice in almost 70,000 kms

_________________
My DR650 ............ and the ................. Wife's
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=646076 .............. http://drriders.com/topic17901.html


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:42 pm 
Offline
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:00 am
Posts: 639
Location: here
Captain Obvious wrote:
I would hate to run the bike and burn out a valve due to improperly adjusted valves.
You will only burn out a valve if the clearances are too close. Set the clearances to the middle of their tolerances and you're good to go without a worry.

Regards, Russell

_________________
Real knowledge - to know enough to know not enough is known
Some days you're the dog, other days the tree


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:17 pm 
Offline
MSF Student
MSF Student
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:01 pm
Posts: 67
Location: on the road in South America
Question:

I'm on the road in Chile without a bent style gauge. Even if I curve my gauges to help fit more directly there is resistance from the lip of the rocker cover and since the gauge isn't going in straight there is some contact resistance that is not related to the actual gap.

Any suggestions for how to do measurements with the standard straight gap gauge?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:41 pm 
Offline
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 19, 2011 7:40 pm
Posts: 919
Location: BC Canada
I remember reading a post where the fellow adjusted his valves, based on the thread pitch...anybody have a link to that one?

_________________
2010 Black DR650 - Raptor Petcock...MSR skid plate...Stock chain-roller removed/"Seat Concepts" seat kit/Lower ball-bearing roller/AMP case armor/Pro-Moto rack/Twin Air filter/520 conversion/TM40 pumper carb/8.3 Rear spring/ProCycle Case saver/WARP 9 bar-risers/IMS 4.9 gal Tank/Homemade Chainguard topic15058.html NSU Fix topic14597.html NSU Fix re-visited topic14828.html
DR_Rider blog: https://dr650rider.blogspot.ca/


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  



Forum hosting by ProphpBB | Software by phpBB | Report Abuse | Privacy