www.DRRiders.com

A Dedicated Suzuki DR650 forum for DR650 riders to share their knowledge, experience and adventures!
It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:12 pm

DRRIDERS.COM Search - powered by Google

DRRIDERS Member Location Map

Place yourself on the map here!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:10 am 
MSF Student
MSF Student

Hello all... I have a few questions that have vexed me in all of my tank research, and would be grateful for any help figuring it out. Sorry if they seem kinda bone head, but I'm still learning, haha. Funny enough, I found a ton of info on the tanks, but none answered these basic questions. So here goes...

1) when putting on a new tank, I see there are various petcock setups (acerbis, IBS). Why is this?

2) Why wouldn't the tank makers just make a tank that goes in place of the original, and requires no modification? Just put new bigger tank on, connect the hoses that are already there, done. Why the need to change the petcock and add a breather tube?

3) Am I correct in understanding that once you have a new tank and petcock setup, your petcock will basically act the same way that the petcock on old Hondas used? The three position, on, reserve, off, setup?
So the bike now will need the fuel cock to be turned off at night and garage time like an old bike? I had a '75 CB360T for example. General rule that worked for me was if it'll sit for more than half the day, I'd kill the gas on the petcock. So if I upgrade the tank on my DR, I'll be back to this way of doing things?

4) Why do we now need a breather tube?

5) Why are most breather tubes so long? I know there are short ones as well, but I assume they were made long for a reason? What is the tradeoff of using a short tube?

6) With acerbis, what changes are required?
7) IMS is the same?

Thanks in advance for your help!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:32 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

650Blackout wrote:
Hello all... I have a few questions that have vexed me in all of my tank research, and would be grateful for any help figuring it out. Sorry if they seem kinda bone head, but I'm still learning, haha. Funny enough, I found a ton of info on the tanks, but none answered these basic questions. So here goes...

1) when putting on a new tank, I see there are various petcock setups (acerbis, IBS). Why is this? The stock petcock is vacuum operated. When the bike is started a vacuum from the engine pulls the petcock open. Then engine vacuum also operated the slide on the carb. Aftermarket tanks use traditional non vacuum operated petcocks because they do not know if you have a vacuum line on you bike to operate them. So they error on the side of caution and use a 3 position (and less expensive) petcock.

2) Why wouldn't the tank makers just make a tank that goes in place of the original, and requires no modification? Just put new bigger tank on, connect the hoses that are already there, done. Why the need to change the petcock and add a breather tube? Like many aftermarket items they are bettering stock design. Getting rid of the vacuum petcock is a + in my book. Really putting on aftermarket tanks are plug and play. Sure you have to cap the vacuum port on the carb (1 second job) but after that its other than bolting the tank down and connecting the fuel line

3) Am I correct in understanding that once you have a new tank and petcock setup, your petcock will basically act the same way that the petcock on old Hondas used? The three position, on, reserve, off, setup?
So the bike now will need the fuel cock to be turned off at night and garage time like an old bike? I had a '75 CB360T for example. General rule that worked for me was if it'll sit for more than half the day, I'd kill the gas on the petcock. So if I upgrade the tank on my DR, I'll be back to this way of doing things? Yes with a traditional ON/OFF/RES petcock it is good practice to turn it "off" anytime the bike is not in use.

4) Why do we now need a breather tube? IF you don't let air in the tank fuel cannot flow out. Think of holding you thumb over the end of a straw. The liquid in the straw cannot flow out until you lift your thmb and allow air in

5) Why are most breather tubes so long? I know there are short ones as well, but I assume they were made long for a reason? What is the tradeoff of using a short tube?Long breather tubes go into the hole in the top nut of the steering stem. It is generally a place protected from the elements and allows the tank to suck air in from. Short tubes can be used with a vet cap on them to protect water from entering. In my experience the short tubes pop off at the most inconvenient times where then cannot be found so you have to by another. In all honesty you don't have to even use a vent hose. But you run the risk of dirt/water enter your tank

6) With acerbis, what changes are required?Cap the vent nipple on the carb cap and remove the vacuum hose
7) IMS is the same? Same as 6

Thanks in advance for your help!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:44 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

The simpler petcock has an advantage over the stock setup. To turn off the fuel on a stock one, you have to stop the engine, leaving the carb full of fuel. If you want to leave the bike for a while without the carb blocking up with deposits from the fuel, you then have to drain the carb - into a pan or onto the floor.
Or, you can turn the aftermarket petcock off as you roll in your driveway, leave the bike running while you open the garage/toyshed/front door, ride the bike into the garage/toy shed/living room and by then the bike is just about dry all by itself. No evaporating fuel clogging up the works.
I have older bikes I run once a year for a rally I attend. Since I woke up to the idea of idling the bike with the petcock off until it stalls out by itself, I always had to strip and clean the carbies before I could ride to the rally.

Safety Advisory - idling the bike in the living room until it runs out of fuel tends to annoy the missus. Living room storage is a single man's game. Just sayin' :pardon:

My IMS tank is a straight bolt on replacement - slip it over the front rubber mounts, reinstall the two rear bolts, hook up the fuel line. Crimp the vacuum hose over a couple of times and secure with cable ties. Job done.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:06 am 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

You can install the OEM petcock on most if not all aftermarket fuel tanks, being old school I prefer manual petcocks over vacuum, old habits die hard and I am a control freak by nature, I feel the failures of the vacuum petcocks introduce levels of complexity that I don't need miles out in the Florida backwoods.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:04 pm 
MSF Student
MSF Student

Thank you all for the informative and thought out answers. It is appreciated and you have more than answered all my questions.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:06 pm 
MSF Student
MSF Student

BTW, PerazziMx14, I PM'd you about the IMS tank you said you were selling. Never heard back?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:10 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

650Blackout wrote:
BTW, PerazziMx14, I PM'd you about the IMS tank you said you were selling. Never heard back?

I pm'ed you on how you wanted it packaged (box or HD plastic bag) but never heard back. In any event it sold to a guy last week who picked it up and paid full asking price.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:15 pm 
MSF Student
MSF Student

PerazziMx14 wrote:
650Blackout wrote:

I pm'ed you on how you wanted it packaged (box or HD plastic bag) but never heard back. In any event it sold to a guy last week who picked it up and paid full asking price.

Bummer! I never got the PM! Really wanted it. Oh well. Thx though.