www.DRRiders.com

A Dedicated Suzuki DR650 forum for DR650 riders to share their knowledge, experience and adventures!
It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:02 pm

DRRIDERS.COM Search - powered by Google

DRRIDERS Member Location Map

Place yourself on the map here!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:23 pm 

Im sure Im not thinking it through very well, but does the flange and mid pipe to attach my 40X0 HAVE to be stainless. I know the advantages, but are there any major drawbacks besides rust?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:45 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Guess it doen't have to be stainless.
I'm sure a midpipe made from ordinary tube would work fine.
However, let me list off some reasons why I think it should be stainless:
    As an amatuer welder whose welding outfit consists of an ancient Lincoln AC stick welder, I find thin wall stainless far easier to weld than thin wall mild steel
    It will be bolted up to an aluminium muffler - always better to use stainless to avoid potential corrosion issues
    In my neck of the woods, stainless exhaust bends are not significantly more costly than steel, they are all bloody expensive, so why not?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:31 am 
Single Tracker
Single Tracker

Stever wrote:
Im sure Im not thinking it through very well, but does the flange and mid pipe to attach my 40X0 HAVE to be stainless. I know the advantages, but are there any major drawbacks besides rust?

My original 40 midpipe was mild steel.
I chopped it up, rotated, and used a stainless expander in it and made a midpipe.

My riding ability and the DR's fall weight, will kill it long before rust or anything else will.

Here's the diy on this page
topic3555-1150.html

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:32 am 
Member Servant
Member Servant

Nogoodnamesleft wrote:
Stever wrote:

I chopped it up, rotated, and used a stainless expander in it and made a midpipe.

My riding ability and the DR's fall weight, will kill it long before rust or anything else will.

topic3555-1150.html

Did the 40F0 (40F1) come on more than just the GSXR1000 in OZ? The part number for the mid-pipe/valve assembly is the same for the US and OZ GSXR1000's. They are made of titanium. Only the 600/750 mid-pipes were carbon steel over here (35F0). :s_dunno

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:00 pm 
Single Tracker
Single Tracker

mxrob wrote:
Nogoodnamesleft wrote:
Stever wrote:

topic3555-1150.html

Did the 40F0 (40F1) come on more than just the GSXR1000 in OZ? The part number for the mid-pipe/valve assembly is the same for the US and OZ GSXR1000's. They are made of titanium. Only the 600/750 mid-pipes were carbon steel over here (35F0). :s_dunno

I'm not sure.
Had a quick look seems like
Midpipe part in oz suzuki online is 14200-40F10
Midpipe part in us online is 14200-40F00

I do remember when i was looking for the pipe, and info on welding the midpipe, coming across the fact that on some of them it was mild steel on a gsxr forum.
Something to do with other country minor differences like pollution stuff fitted and factory tyres.
I remember there was minute differences from country to country on a couple of things on the gsxr's badk then..

I got mine off ebay and just asked the guy to check it with a magnet before he bothered to send me the can and midpipe.
Its not uncommon for oz to get import bikes from japan as well.

A few years back a lot of old 1100 katanas were coming from japan as they are quite collectable in oz.
Love me a good 80's Katana. Back in the day i went an 1100 EFE as the engine was a touch better out of the box for drag racing. Nowdays the katana is the bike to have though.
But i sidetrack.

Maybe the mild steel was just a rare Oz thing. Dunno.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:29 pm 

Stainless is better suited for the environment and temperature. Only concern with stainless is if you have it installed in a carbon steel system it will accelerate rust on non stainless components/hardware.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:43 am 
SuperMoto Dude
SuperMoto Dude

FYI The mid pipe of the K1 and K2 GSXR1000 is mild steel in Greece and I suppose the rest of Europe

Athens Greece

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:54 pm 

Seeing as the stock header is also Stainless, I decided to keep the entire system stainless when fitting my GSXR pipe. Scavenged some offcuts from an engineering shop that were doing practice runs at making handrails. A couple of 90 degree Mandrel bent sections that were the same ID as the header were found. Took them home and played with some angles, cut them plus the front section off the stock muffler for the mid mount. A fellow DR rider had a Stanless steel flange laser cut for me and I then took the bike and parts to an engineering shop to have the sections stainless steel welded in place on the bike. Most midpipes that utilise the stock header pipe that I have seen taper out to the same ID as the entry in to the muffler, but mine is the same ID all the way to the muffler. Seems to work OK.