www.DRRiders.com

A Dedicated Suzuki DR650 forum for DR650 riders to share their knowledge, experience and adventures!
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:40 am

DRRIDERS.COM Search - powered by Google

DRRIDERS Member Location Map

Place yourself on the map here!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:06 pm 
SuperMoto Dude
SuperMoto Dude

my new to me DR came rather poorly jettted with a dynojet kit. i've got it going well now, but i am missing the plastic spacer that sits on the needle. i want to get that, and file it down so it clears the D-shelf. I'm unsure about which part it is in the parts diagram.

is it #20?

IMS tank, procircuit T4 muffler, TAG 1-1/8" bars, backbusters, madstad 18" screen, MJM custom seat.
Lots of other cool stuff.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:41 pm 
Adventure Rider
Adventure Rider

Number 20 is the stepped/shouldered spacer that goes in the spring.
22 is the spacer that goes on the needle under the clip.
This pick shows #20 in the spring and #22 on the needle.

https://photos.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/ ... Copy-M.jpg

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:48 pm 
SuperMoto Dude
SuperMoto Dude

wotavidone wrote:
Number 20 is the stepped/shouldered spacer that goes in the spring.
22 is the spacer that goes on the needle under the clip.
This pick shows #20 in the spring and #22 on the needle.

https://photos.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/ ... Copy-M.jpg

thanks mate. #22 is what im after :good:

IMS tank, procircuit T4 muffler, TAG 1-1/8" bars, backbusters, madstad 18" screen, MJM custom seat.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:42 pm 
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

dmsantam wrote:
my new to me DR came rather poorly jettted with a dynojet kit. i've got it going well now, but i am missing the plastic spacer that sits on the needle.i want to get that, and file it down so it clears the D-shelf.
The Dynojet jet needle's drawbacks are:

1) It was designed for the '80-'83 Yamaha XS & XJ1100 and/or the '80-'85 Suzuki GS750E & ES.

2) It has a shape that is likely to produce significant variances in mixture strength through the rpm range, specifically leaner toward upper portion of the rpm range than toward the lower.

3) It's made out of stainless steel which means more emulsion tube wear than with an aluminum needle.

4) It doesn't use the white plastic spacer under the clip, which means the needle is not preloaded in the downstream direction, and will therefore be more prone to orbiting/otherwise gyrating inside the emulsion tube. It also means that the needle will not be able to pivot out of the way as the slide guide wears. Both of these factors equate more emulsion tube wear. Note: studying Dynojet needle applications reveals that they keep OEM spacers in place unless, as in this case, the needle is adapted from a use on a different carburetor.

Regards,

Derek

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:56 pm 
SuperMoto Dude
SuperMoto Dude

motolab wrote:
dmsantam wrote:
my new to me DR came rather poorly jettted with a dynojet kit. i've got it going well now, but i am missing the plastic spacer that sits on the needle.i want to get that, and file it down so it clears the D-shelf.
The Dynojet jet needle's drawbacks are:

1) It was designed for the '80-'83 Yamaha XS & XJ1100 and/or the '80-'85 Suzuki GS750E & ES.

2) It has a shape that is likely to produce significant variances in mixture strength through the rpm range, specifically leaner toward upper portion of the rpm range than toward the lower.

3) It's made out of stainless steel which means more emulsion tube wear than with an aluminum needle.

4) It doesn't use the white plastic spacer under the clip, which means the needle is not preloaded in the downstream direction, and will therefore be more prone to orbiting/otherwise gyrating inside the emulsion tube. It also means that the needle will not be able to pivot out of the way as the slide guide wears. Both of these factors equate more emulsion tube wear. Note: studying Dynojet needle applications reveals that they keep OEM spacers in place unless, as in this case, the needle is adapted from a use on a different carburetor.

Regards,

Derek

by filing down the plastic spacer to clear the D-shelf, i've removed drawback #4.

i agree with your point on emulsion tube wear - but it's a replaceable part.

what is a better alternative needle?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:04 am 
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

dmsantam wrote:
by filing down the plastic spacer to clear the D-shelf, i've removed drawback #4.
How do you figure?
Quote:

The non-USA OEM 6F19 needle (13383-32E00).

Regards,

Derek

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:06 am 
SuperMoto Dude
SuperMoto Dude

motolab wrote:
dmsantam wrote:
How do you figure?
Quote:

The non-USA OEM 6F19 needle (13383-32E00).

Regards,

Derek

I have one of those.. but isn't the taper not going to work with an open airbox? i've been considering grinding it down, as per the BST Magic thread.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:21 am 
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

dmsantam wrote:
I have one of those.. but isn't the taper not going to work with an open airbox?
The 6F19 jet needle is outstanding with a cut airbox. These are the runs from the Zebra's (http://www.wolfandzebra.com/) bike (the wolf's bike was set up the same way):

WOT: http://www.moto-lab.com/gallery/view?itemid=456
1/4 opening: http://www.moto-lab.com/gallery/view?itemid=457
1/8 opening: http://www.moto-lab.com/gallery/view?itemid=458
Quote:
i've been considering grinding it down, as per the BST Magic thread.
I'd recommend against that as the idea is based on a misunderstanding of what needle taper does on a CV carburetor vs. what is needed when the airbox is opened (and in general)(we can discuss the details if you like).

Regards,

Derek

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:31 am 
SuperMoto Dude
SuperMoto Dude

motolab wrote:
dmsantam wrote:
I have one of those.. but isn't the taper not going to work with an open airbox?
The 6F19 jet needle is outstanding with a cut airbox. These are the runs from the Zebra's (http://www.wolfandzebra.com/) bike (the wolf's bike was set up the same way):

WOT: http://www.moto-lab.com/gallery/view?itemid=456
1/4 opening: http://www.moto-lab.com/gallery/view?itemid=457
1/8 opening: http://www.moto-lab.com/gallery/view?itemid=458
Quote:
i've been considering grinding it down, as per the BST Magic thread.
I'd recommend against that as the idea is based on a misunderstanding of what needle taper does on a CV carburetor vs. what is needed when the airbox is opened (and in general)(we can discuss the details if you like).

Regards,

Derek

i'll give that a go then. i have the jetting pretty much perfect (according to my arse dyno) with the dynojet needle on the 2nd clip, DJ160 main, and mikuni stock 42.5 pilot, screw 1 and 1/4 turns out.

i'll pop in the stock aussie needle i have on the same clip and see how i go. then i'll richen it up if it's too lean by raising the needle until it stops surging.

any other suggestions? i appreciate your advice.

cheers

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:24 pm 
SuperMoto Dude
SuperMoto Dude

i did some searching on this site, and found some of your previous recommendations (topic17374-30.html?sid=4ebf9347c0b9e3b65c525e9ed04192f4#p195523)

6F19 needle on the 4th clip, float height 14.7mm, and the usual pilot screw adjustment procedure.

What main jet do you recommend as a starting point? I am at sea level, in Australia.

Given the very different taper of the 6F19 needle, i take it that the main jet will have to be richer than what is working with my more aggressively tapered dynojet needle. I'm running a DJ160 (mikuni 150) main with the dynojet needle. Should i try a DJ170 (mikuni 160) main with 6F19 needle to start with?

I see that the wolf and zebra are using a mikuni 155, so i will start with that. http://www.wolfandzebra.com/tuning-the- ... t-motolab/

Last edited by dmsantam on Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.